10 replies to this topic

#1 scabace

scabace

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 06:19 PM

Hi everyone, i am new to the site, so forgive me if this doesn't work!!

My fiance and I have booked our honeymoon to Crete in August, 29th. We are staying in a self-catering villa in Rethymnon and were just wondering what there is to see/do in that location.

We will of course have our own car, and dont mind travelling a little way!

I know of the gourge, but I dont think my fiance will manage it as she suffers with bad knees. I love the outdoors and birds and nature, whilst she likes to sunbathe a lot more!! :)

So any help/advice to cater for both our needs would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Steve

#2 Brook

Brook

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 08:05 PM

Welcome to the site and congrats on the upcoming wedding. I for one am very fond of West Crete and love the town of Chania and its beautiful old buildings, the shops and great seaside restaurants. Travel along the main road and check out the beaches of Kalamaki, Agia Marina and Platanias (for the sun worshipper!). Keep her happy if you want to be married for a while :)

#3 Birgit

Birgit

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 09:51 PM

Hi Steve,

Congratulations on your coming wedding. Crete is a wonderful place for a honeymoon.

The gorge you are thinking of is probably Samaria Gorge.

Take your time to read about it and many other places and tours here on this site as I think it offers you all the information you will need.

Have a great honeymoon!
Birgit

#4 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 11:57 PM

Hi,
if Samaria isn't appropriate for your wife's knees, then you may try a very easy alternative: the Miloi Gorge, a few km south of Rethymnon. Read about it here: http://www.explorecr...a-rethymno.html
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#5 anchor

anchor

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 03:20 PM

Again congratulations on your forthcoming wedding.

My wife and I did not honeymoon in Crete, but return every September for our wedding anniversary. After the first time, we fell in love with the Island. We stay in Rethymnon, and always rent a car.

I feel you should not miss the Monasteries of Preveli and Arkadi. A visit to Knossos would be fascinating, if you are interested in the the Minoans who lived on the Island over 3000 years ago.

#6 scabace

scabace

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 02:15 PM

Hey guys, thanks a lot for your input! :D

I was wondering if its possible to do the Samaria Gorge on horse back? My fiance absolutely loves horses, which doesn't affect her knees the same, and I really want to arrange a day horse riding or a few hours for her to enjoy!

Do any of you know whether this would be possible, either down the Gorge or somewhere else?

Thanks so much again, i really cant wait :)

Steve

#7 Tinks

Tinks

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:04 PM

Samaria on horseback?

I would imagine that would be rather dangerous for the horse.
Curiouser and curiouser.....

#8 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:22 PM

No, Samaria on horseback is not possible.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#9 scabace

scabace

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 12:47 AM

Ok. Im sorry for my ignorance :rolleyes: I was just wondering if there were any treks or things that we could do on horse back

#10 Julie

Julie

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 04:35 PM

If you are staying in Rethymno you will be near Georgiopoulos, where there are riding stables.

#11 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 11:06 PM

I believe there is horse riding available in Pitsidia (near Matala) on the south coast. I have dug up a reference from Google namely http://www.melanouri...x/index_uk.html
I also found a reference to horse riding in Plakias, again on the south coast, I think it is a question of asking for Nico in the street where the doctors surgery is, or at the Youth Hostel. Plakias is an easy drive from Rethimno, Pitsidia is a little further east.
Tim