8 replies to this topic

#1 Brook

Brook

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 03:07 PM

In an news article from Kathimerini , there was a mention that Souda Bay in Crete could be used as a base if there were to be a military strike on Iran. Did anyone else hear about this or are there any comments?

#2 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 07:17 PM

Souda Bay has been and will always be an important naval base and Crete's position in the Mediterranean sea the ideal eyes and ears for Nato. Ships navigating to the Bosporus and Suez Canal are being monitored .
I myself have been there during my military service period to fire some Nike Hercules ATA missiles :)

Sofar nothing new. Even in the start of the Irak war it has played it's part. But always in the background and in a supporting way. (revitaillering)

Chances that in case there starts a war with Irak it will back fire upon Crete are nil.

Keep cool and don't worry :lol:
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#3 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 08:24 PM

Brook,
As wim says Souda has always been an important base for NATO due to its position. As I understand it the base was used during the beginning of the Iraq war and still is an important base for re-fuelling ships. At the time there were reports of trouble between sailors and local people and there was a lot of bad feeling towards Americans from some quarters. I think this has been allievaiated as single men are not allowed off the base. There was bad feelings also as there were restrictions placed on Souda Bay and where you could fish/sail and I understand that there are still restrictions in place.
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#4 Antero

Antero

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 11:02 PM

I think we-NATO members- have nothing to do with US interests .
It is their own bussines but force us to take part , I find it disguisting ,
......................sh....t !
András

#5 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 09:51 AM

Hm... I'm not quite sure you could define whatever is going on in Iran these days as only "US business". As I wouldn't like the US to say "it's their business" if the cork pops...

#6 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 11:34 AM

There is a lot going on in Iran.
It's working on a nuclear armament which in the hands of the Iran government of lunatics and fundamentalists can easily backfire upon Europe and the rest of the world. Mind you, the president of Iran is an ex Hezbollah leader and the rest of the government clergy who still live in the 7th century AD and are a bunch of ignorant woman haters with the word "lordship" stamped all over their forehead.

You can't blame the Americans for acting when the Euopean politicians don't. A lack of policy or whatsoever toward this unstable country would at least be something to enjoy let alone some "argus eyes" to keep a close watch.

Seen in this light it would be worth re-reading Plat's "Politeia". The famous dialog about the discussion between Socrates and some students about the origing of right.

The only thing though that binds this forum to politics is that's it a Greek forum and politics a word that originated in Greece.

It would be wise to refrain from it :)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#7 bu67

bu67

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 11:17 PM

I agree with Wim. I would hate to see this Forum deteriorate into a political forum. Lets focus the talk on Crete and why we love the place. I can't wait for my next visit in June! :)

#8 Antero

Antero

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 12:58 AM

I agree too
- Brook , you do ???
András

#9 Brook

Brook

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 05:00 PM

The last thing I wanted is for this to turn into a political discussion. It was my intention to get the forums thoughts about what could be Crete's involvement if this attack were to take place. I'd hate to have air and noise pollution in beautiful Crete!