13 replies to this topic

#1 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 11:59 AM

This was built in 1317 by the Ventians, whose coat of arms still adorn the walls.................there appears to be a mysterious phenomena here !!!!! apparently each year on May 17th Shadowy figures of mounted men are said to be reflected on the Castle walls. :D :D :D

As i will be arriving in Crete on the 16th May i wonder if there is any truth in this as i would love to be there and see this ???? will it happen morning or afternoon or in fact evening !!! :rolleyes: :D

Attached Files

Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#2 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 12:19 PM

Xan Fielding, an SOE operative in Crete during the occupation, included a chapter about his in his book The Stronghold- published in 1953-
"No one seems to know when exactly the ghosts of Frangokastello made their first annual appearances They were certainly an established feature by the end of the last century. Manoussos Koundouros mentions them in his Diary of the Cretan Rebellion of 1895 and explains what they are meant to be - the regimented materialized souls of the 385 soldiers led by Hadjimichalis Daliannis, who were killed in a battle against the Turks towards the end of the Greek War of Independence. Clearly, then, they were already a familar phenomenon, although they had not yet been given the name by which they are known today - the Drossoulites, or Dewy Shades, so-called because they appear only when the dew of early morning is still on the ground".
As far as I recall they did not appear for Xan Fielding on the occasion he waited for them.
The chapter contains much more information but I am afraid I don't have he time just at the moment to pick bits out, maybe in a few days time. The Stronghold is a rare book, most copies going for around the 80- 100 GBP mark, but you may be lucky and find a copy in your local library.
In the absence of having the book, try googling drossoullites and you will come up with info, including some from Stelios Jackson. Also, try googling mispelt variants of droussoullites for more!!
Tim

#3 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 12:43 PM

Brilliant Tim, thank you for the information, :)

it will give me sometime for research before i arrive in 3 weeks (TODAY!!!!!!!) :) :lol: :lol:
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#4 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 01:45 PM

If you are lucky enough to be in Crete on 20th May in the Matala area you may catch a glimpse of a very strange site. It is not only the Drossoulites who can be seen in the dewy morn. It has been reported that if you are there in the early hours of the morning of the 21st, you will probably be witness to several ghostly figures making their unsteady way to various houses. It is said that these are the figures of lost souls, who are thought to be from thoroughout both Crete and Northern Europe, who are seeking the elixir of life. But if you do see them you will quickly realise that they may have have found it already! So in years to come these apparitions will be as infamous as those we now call the Drossoulites. :lol: :) :lol: and it is rumoured that these ghostly beings will also appear each year at about the same time. :)
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#5 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 02:20 PM

ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha
,ha,.

:) :lol:

Thanks for the warning DaveW, if i'm really lucky they may appear in any of the numerous photo's that i will be taking that night....................as a misty glow in the background. !!!!
:) B)

boy are you jealous. :lol:
Santo

#6 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 03:47 PM

Nice one, Dave, I must remember to wear white to look the part - though come to think of it, if I go for the prawns or crab, it'll probably be white splashed with bits of those!

3 weeks to go, 3 weeks to go.........

#7 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 04:18 PM

Getting back to the forum comment, i've managed to trace a bit of information in that the reported sightings are " Chatzimichalis Dalianis and his men who were slaughtered by the Turks in the fortress during the revolution of 1821" and appear walking from the sea to the fortress of Frangokastello on the 17th May.
:) :lol:

I'm getting good at this adding pics lark.........................(kid with a new toy)

:lol: :)

Attached Files

Santo

#8 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 05:22 PM

Santo,
yes, it is nice to see pictures in the messages on the Forums, but I suppose that most of these pictures come from other websites. It is possible that the webmasters of these sites will not like this unauthorised copying and they may complain about it.
I would suggest that all members of this forum avoid copying photos from other sites, especially when it is not necessary. If you want to add a photo to your message, then browse the many photo albums on this site and use the one you like.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#9 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 05:44 PM

ooops. ok :) :lol: :lol:

am i in your good books now !!!!!!

Attached Files

Santo

#10 Yorgos

Yorgos

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 12:48 PM

Hello Santo and all other readers of course,

Frangocastelo started being built in 1371 (figure transposition Santo?) until 1374, the delay due to the activities of the 5 Patsianos brothers of nearby Patsianos village who did not like the idea of newcommers in their district. The brothers were eventually betrayed and captured, four of them hanged at each corner tower and the fifth over the gate!

Now about Drosoulites. Do not hurry there on the 17th (or the 18th according to others) but try the 30th or the 31st, as the former dates are according to the Julian calendar, we are now with the "new" Gregorian calendar 13 days later! And do not forget your digital camera, but please do not use the flash, it may scare them away!

Looking forward to the pictures.

Good Luck

Yorgos

PS Just back from Sfakia, great as ever!

#11 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 01:27 PM

Thanks Yorgos, have to admit i took the date from a website !!! and i will certainly try to get there for the 30th (my last day before flying back :) )

if not i will ensure my next visit will be around that date.

are you in crete for the 20th May???
Santo

#12 Yorgos

Yorgos

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 May 2006 - 05:43 PM

Santo, unfortunately not, I have already left Crete and will be back home by the 20th, dreaming of next year's visit!

Yorgos

PS The name of the brothers was Patsos, not Patsianos, that was the village name

#13 anchor

anchor

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 03:04 PM

Have a look here to see my comments on this phenonema.

http://www.dgloader....kastellotxt.htm

Here is a moving panorama of Frangokastello:

http://www.dgloader....ngokastello.htm

#14 Yorgos

Yorgos

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 12:02 AM

Hello Santo,

Any news of drosoulites yet? I am very interested to hear from you whether you have seen anything yet.

And if you managed to get any digital pictures of the vision it would be that much more exciting

Best regards and good luck