10 replies to this topic

#1 bu67

bu67

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 04:49 AM

My wife & I will be flying to Crete the first two weeks of June. I think I would like to stay somewhere south of Heraklion and take day trips to places in the southern part of the island. We will have a rental car.

We were on Crete last June (2005) and stayed near Hersonnisos, in Sissi, and Chania - two nights each. This trip, I think we could do more if we did not move from place to place and just took the day trips. We did not get south last year.

Does anyone have suggestions where to stay? One friend suggested the Villa Archanes. Other places on the map with possibilities might include Timbaki, Mires, Arkalohori, Agia Galini, etc. I would prefer finding something in the range of 50 to 80 or 90 Euros per night.

Thank you for your thoughts and advice.

Jeff
Texas/USA

#2 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 11:04 AM

Dear Jeff,

There are a lot of interesting places where you can stay during your holiday.
If I were you I'd check this site and "Explore Crete" to find out what suits your wishes.

I could easily advice you some places fitting my "wish list" which does'nt mean they'll fit yours.:rolleyes:
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#3 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 07:22 PM

Agia Galini is the place a person coming down for a week or two would like to find - from there you could take wonderful trips anywhere! :rolleyes:

#4 Foxy

Foxy

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 10:22 PM

Hi,

I can recommend you Kalamaki Beach !! Nice little village right on the beach ! For a place to stay, visit kiknos !

Have a nice holiday !

#5 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 11:53 PM

As you will have a car why not just pick somewhere in the south, and have some time there and then move on. I do it all the time. You could do far worse than going to somewhere like Kalamaki (or Kamilari) near Tympaki from where you can do a bit of exploring to places like Agia Galini, Phaistos, Agia Deka, Matala Then maybe head east to Plakias from where you can explore, Preveli, Damnoni, and also east of Plakias as far as Hora Spakia where you could dump the car for a day and get on the ferry to Loutro, or futher. You should have no trouble finding good rooms in your price bracket, often much cheaper I think. Whilst I would encourage you to move about a bit, don't attempt to do it all though. Archanes is a lovely place but I wouldn't fancy two weeks there!
Enjoy your trip

#6 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 01:31 AM

I knew it :rolleyes: My answer was a kind of check. Now I know :D
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#7 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 10:28 AM

What were you checking, Wim? :rolleyes: That this site is full of nice people who doesn't mind sharing their experience?

#8 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 11:22 AM

Curiosity killed the cat :rolleyes: Maybe I'll tell you once you've struck me from behind :D

#9 Antero

Antero

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 03:23 PM

I can recommend you ofcourse :) STALIS

ofcourse :lol: Katrin Hotel
András

#10 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 04:40 PM

Antero, i gather geography was'nt your strong point at school B) :D

They are looking for south of Heraklion, good job I'm picking you up on the 20th you could have ended up anywhere mate. :) :lol: :lol: :)
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#11 Antero

Antero

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 03:55 PM

"was'nt your strong point at school" well it is your opinion !

(yes they look "south"- but I can recomend sg. else too. maybe it wass worth to check coordinates as well
possibly I am right )

:)
András