#1 christa

christa

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 12:07 AM

Hi all B)

So you know there are many greenhouses on Crete.

I know that it was a dutch man who brougt them to the island, but I forgot his name... Posted Image

Also I know, that there is a memorial of him on Crete... but I forgot where.... Posted Image

Anybody on board who can give me an answer??? And maybe anybody has a photo of the memorial???

Thanks in advance

Christa

#2 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:20 AM

Hi Christa

It was Paul Herman Felix Kuypers who died in a car accident.
The memorial is on the Myrthos road.

B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#3 steve

steve

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:22 AM

Has anyone ever tried to recycle old plastic water bottles to make plastic sheeting for greenhouses? I don't know if it would be technically possible but it would be a neat idea if it could be done.

#4 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:09 PM

Has anyone ever tried to recycle old plastic water bottles to make plastic sheeting for greenhouses? I don't know if it would be technically possible but it would be a neat idea if it could be done.

Hi Steve,

I love the idea.
After the bottles have been recylced the plastic from the greenhouses will be blown away and be recycled to plastic bottles that will be reycled for greenhous plastic that will be recycled.... :D B) B) B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#5 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 07:26 AM

I think we, the consumers in Crete, have been very tolerant with the bottled water companies that make super profits by selling us what should be free to everybody.
Since it's their product that needs all these plastic bottles, shouldn't they be responsible to recycle or re-use them?
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#6 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 11:13 AM

Since it's their product that needs all these plastic bottles, shouldn't they be responsible to recycle or re-use them?

They certainly should - why not use a similar system of very noticable deposits on (admittedly better quality) bottles, as they do in parts of Northern Europe. Thus making it worth while, for tourists and residents alike, to return the bottles after use.

That way the litter problem would also be eased slightly.

Henry.

#7 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 11:24 AM

As a drinker of water (well, beer, wine, spirits in fact any alcohol has water in it) i have never managed to understand how, when in crete i can purchase a batch of 6, 2 litre bottles for less than 1 litre of bottled water here considering our water is drinkable via the tap.
Vast profits are being made and we british as usual moan to each other rather than collectively and actively do something about it..................... B) B) B) :D
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#8 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 01:46 PM

HI Yannis,

I catch your drift :D

If right; all these bottles are of a so called PET kind. Which means it's recyclable. The rest is up to the brainless pigs that have developed the "throw away mentality".
Once they start "throwing" it in garbage cans (if present) things would change for the better. If none available just hold on till you see one.
Conclusion: Cleaning up is not a task for the producers but for the consumers.

If you want to change that habitude, society has to start teaching those elements to be aware of their ignorance. And we are that society, aren't we :rolleyes:

I hope that Earth Day will become as significant as Mother Day and Father Day. And as far as Crete concerns maybe like Pascha :D

Attached Files