33 replies to this topic

#1 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:45 PM

Just in case you want to do some exercises at home and come out later amazing anyone on the dance floor. ;)

http://www.btinterne...nces/Dances.htm
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#2 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:54 AM

yeah, nice one wim.
The neighbours have come around to see if I was alright as they were concerned about all the bumps and groans coming from the house. How many times do you have to fall on the floor? I'm finding it almost impossible to look at the steps as described on the site and not falling over my feet. Perhaps I would have more luck if I tried a few raki's? I suppose that the good thing is that whilst lying on the floor I can listen to the music ;)
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#3 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 01:20 PM

HaHa Dave, the problem is you shouldn't drink at all ;) (at least for a while)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#4 Hana

Hana

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 10:26 PM

B) :D :) Oh, this page is fun, Wim!!!! I can even manage a few steps. Brilliant! I look forward to the day when we explorecreteers meet in a taverna and have a dance together thanks to your reccommendation :))

#5 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 10:52 PM

Yeah B)

#6 Angela

Angela

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 07:20 AM

If only they could add video, its pretty difficult trying to do a dance you've never seen before only from notation. I joined a dance group. Great website though, its fun if a little confusing too.

#7 Angela

Angela

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 02:47 AM

I should add that there is a nice website with some videos of dances and with songs as well, from all over the Balkans and including Greece. Its address is :

http://www.dunav.org.il/

Unfortunately no pan-hellenic common dances shown, but its still enjoyable nonetheless.

#8 Helena Howard

Helena Howard

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 03:25 AM

B) Thank you Wim this is wonderful:) but I still cant manage it :D) ...I wish we had a video clip I just love the new flash movies on the website thank you Yannis its April time to make a booking for a holiday to Crete again:) and Im so getting in the mood now

#9 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:55 PM

Wow Wim, am i gonna have fun in May in Matala......................not sure the steps will be as written down but once the raki hits it will look good. ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#10 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 05:25 PM

Oh, I was starting to wonder where you had ended up, Santo... but now that you confirm that you have been spending your time rehearsing the Greek dances I shall be looking very much forward to seeing this in practise! B)

#11 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 06:46 PM

by the time I've finished, the evening will be the most memorable for all attendee's....................i'm not one to be shy so will expect willing participants.
Zorba's Dance will set the bar alight and i'm sure your daughter and son-in-law will allow you some freedom to practise.

B) :D :) :) :)
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#12 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 07:08 PM

Well, as long as you understand that both Bob & I have 2 left feet and we're no spring chickens! Maybe we'll be OK with a few drinks inside us.

#13 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 10:29 AM

no problems there Pam, i think between us all Linda and Yannis will be the youngest and raki will certainly sort out the left foot syndrome.
However the morning after may require some soothing massage to get the joints working again.
B) :D :) :) :)
Santo

#14 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 05:51 PM

O.K. you guys and dolls
Maybe it'll work out better if you write the steps down on the terrace in your garden (just use the numbers) than you can concentrate on your feet and not on the paper in your hand :huh:

Have fun :huh:

#15 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 05:52 PM

Yeah, that'll be the time my neighbours definitely mark me as "queer" (well, not in THAT way! hahah). I'm already the strange lady that actually spends MONEY on feeding cats - just imagine what it will be like when they see me jumping from a tile to the next on my terrace in convulse movements !! B) B) B) :D :( :D :D

#16 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 05:54 PM

You mean they haven't already seen you stagger home of a night !!!
B)
Santo

#17 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 05:56 PM

B)

My neighbours are decent people.... they go to sleep early!!!

#18 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 05:58 PM

There's always ONE raver in the Village eh !!!!!!
Santo

#19 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 06:53 PM

I would'nt mind fulfilling the role of St Vitus :rolleyes:

I have a lively fantasy but I am afraid this one goes beyond my imaginations

:D :D :D

#20 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 02:04 AM

Oh come on wim..where's your imagination? I can see them now...all under the influence of the Cretan air (and raki)...you move your zimmer to the left..you move your zimmer to the right..in out...in out.. you move your zimmer all about. What was that? I'm only saying this because I'm jealous about the get together? Too right......I am very, very jealous and disappointed that I won't be able to get there to meet and greet some of those whom I have come to know over this site. I hope that someone will remain sober enough to take some pictures of the party that will eventually be 'posted' on the site..that is after they have obviously been censored!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!