4 replies to this topic

#1 Harris Parkell

Harris Parkell

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 02:12 PM

A year ago, I solicited videotape from anyone who had been stationed at the American Air Base near Gournes. I simply asked people to share their fondest memories of their time on the island, videotape these memories and then send them to me, along with any old photos they want to have included. What I got are memories that make me nostalgic for Greece -- and Crete in particular. I enjoyed hearing the stories of adventures, of the great food and fun evenings spent with the locals in villages. For the past several months I have been editing these memories into a cohesive program. We're planning to show it on September 16th. If you're in the Annapolis, Maryland area at that time, you're definitely welcome to join us all for a night of Greek food, drink and companionship. More details will be added on my website as the time approaches: iraklion-able.com

Harris Parkell (Iraklion A.S. 1964-1966)

#2 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 11:33 PM

Hello Harris,

Probably very few of us "Crete-lovers" will be around for your big event - but it would sure be nice if you would keep us posted! ;)

#3 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 04:48 PM

Harris, very nice of you to invite us to Annapolis Maryland but as Dinny wrote very few or rather none of of us can make it to Maryland. Your gesture though is very much appreciated and we will all have a drink on your behalf Sept. 16th. If you ever make it back to Crete please promptly place a notice in this Forum so some of us can get together with u for a drink and share some memories from the 60's. By the way I have heard that the DJ who was the main protagonist in the story Good morning Vietnam was transfered to Vietnam from The US Base in Crete. Do u recall this story? Is it true?

#4 gary

gary

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 10:41 PM

Harris, very nice of you to invite us to Annapolis Maryland but as Dinny wrote very few or rather none of of us can make it to Maryland. Your gesture though is very much appreciated and we will all have a drink on your behalf Sept. 16th. If you ever make it back to Crete please promptly place a notice in this Forum so some of us can get together with u for a drink and share some memories from the 60's. By the way I have heard that the DJ who was the main protagonist in the story Good morning Vietnam was transfered to Vietnam from The US Base in Crete. Do u recall this story? Is it true?

B) Yes it is true.I was stationed with him from 63-66.He left for nam and I went to nam later but had just missed him.His name is Adrian Cronauer.He now works for the goverment in wash DC.Ihave not heard from him in a year or so but sure he is still around.He is a very nice guy.Played in a band on base while working for the radio/tv station on base.One of his best friends that was stationed with us back then came to calif a couple years ago to visit me.Had not seen him sence 66.Talked alot about Adrian.Last I heard from him he was working with MIA's from vietnam....Gary

#5 bu67

bu67

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 03:03 PM

I plan to be in Annapolis, Maryland, USA on September 16, 2006, to see the DVD and relive the wonderful time in Crete. There are many of us around the USA who love our time on Crete and look for any excuse to get together and talk about the island and our experiences!

My wife & I will be in Crete for 8 or 9 days in June. We can't wait!

Jeffrey Blair
Iraklion AS 1969-70
:rolleyes: