51 replies to this topic

#21 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 12:18 AM

Can't be Terpsihore. Terpsihore was one of the mothers of Sirenes. On the stamp only 3 sirenes appear. Must be Parthenope, Lefkosia and Legeia. The name of the river should be Aheloas. The Sirenes were born from the blood drops of the Aheloas river horn.Another possible mother was Melpomene and the daughters names were Thelxipia, Aglaope, and Peisenoe.
So the dancing Sirene must be Legeia. Why her? Just because I like her name better than the others.

#22 christa

christa

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 01:24 AM

Ohhh .... :D :) :)

The person I looked for was Terpsihore ;)

So - Congratulations to Wim Posted Image

@ Ton - it cann't be Legeia, cause I needed a *R* for a crete-scrabble-riddle .... :P

@ Dinny - sometimes its difficult to understand my way of thinking... And sometimes my husband says, that I am thinking not directly, but think around the corner... :)

To all to you a nice thursday

Christa

#23 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 01:58 AM

Can't be Terpsihore. Terpsihore was one of the mothers of Sirenes. On the stamp only 3 sirenes appear. Must be Parthenope, Lefkosia and Legeia. The name of the river should be Aheloas. The Sirenes were born from the blood drops of the Aheloas river horn.Another possible mother was Melpomene and the daughters names were Thelxipia, Aglaope, and Peisenoe.
So the dancing Sirene must be Legeia. Why her? Just because I like her name better than the others.

That's right Ton. Terpsichore was the mother of the 9 Sirenes pictured by the 9 emoticons. The Sirenes on the stamp are just a way to lead to Terpsichore.

Only Terpsichore played her Lyra for the river God Achelous. The question was not; who are the Sirenes flying above the boat :P

Thanks Christa for the kisses ;)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#24 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 01:42 PM

I will not argue over this. However nowhere in the greek mythology ever existed 9 sirenes. There were 9 Mousais but not 9 sirenes. The stamp depicts the 3 sirenes but not the Mousais. Terpsihore was a mousa and not a sirene. But after all its all Mythology to me and in greek mythology everything was magically possible and specially because the mythology was wtritten by various characters and everyone was interpreting the story in his/her own way.

#25 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 02:20 PM

That's right Ton. Terpsichore was the mother of the 9 Sirenes pictured by the 9 emoticons. The Sirenes on the stamp are just a way to lead to Terpsichore.

Only Terpsichore played her Lyra for the river God Achelous. The question was not; who are the Sirenes flying above the boat :P

Thanks Christa for the kisses ;)

Sorry Ton I made a mistake by writing.

I meant Terpsichore was the mother of the 9 Muses (I named them in my solution mail see that one for all the names you shure have read that one did you?) Lecturers are not quite sure about the quantity but they came to a consensus about 9 of them.

1. They are the nine dancing and singing emoticons. Aren't they amusing?
2. The river shown in the picture is a reference to the river God Achelous where Therpsichore (one of the nine Muses) played her Lyra.
3. It was not necessary to count the Sirenes above Odysseus boat. They were there as a reference to
Terpsichord, their mother. And yes you can see three of them. The other six are flying ouside the picture
:D

We call those riddles; a cryptogram.

Oh and btw Ton, are you a Cretan? There is nothing about you in your member profile and by the staccato way of writing one would presume you are.

Take care.
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#26 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 03:03 PM

No I am from the famous city where Thesaeus came from. It has much changed since. Lol.!!
Cheers m8

#27 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:28 PM

Come now, Wim, don't take all the credit! :P I gave you the nine muses - and all it took was to ask google for nine muses, clicking on each of their names till you got exactly what you wrote: Terpsichore the "Whirler" is the muse of dancing and is often seen dancing with her lyre and a plectrum, an instrument used for plucking stringed instruments. By the river god Achelous, she bore the Sirens. ehehhehhe And Terpsichore was one of the muses, and not the mother of the muses....

But otherwise... ;)

#28 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 07:06 PM

Yeah isn't great Dinny!

I'm certainly not willing to take all the credits :D I certainly want to share them with you ;) and with Google :)

Yeah Google is great but still you have to take care. I had one student who looked for Francis Bacon and came up with the statesman instead of the painter. :P

#29 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 07 April 2006 - 02:23 PM

Seems that mythology touches a string!

So maybe this site is of interest to you all as well<_<

http://www.pantheon.org/

#30 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 05:19 PM

only just got into this one so haven't bothered with the pics but i did do the test...........................and suffice to say i'm very happy with the answer, however i'm not gorgeous but i'll go with the "Hottie" description ha,ha,ha,ha,.

I will reveal who i am on the 20th May to a select group of members. :huh: :huh: :huh:
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#31 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 05:41 PM

only just got into this one so haven't bothered with the pics but i did do the test...........................and suffice to say i'm very happy with the answer, however i'm not gorgeous but i'll go with the "Hottie" description ha,ha,ha,ha,.

I will reveal who i am on the 20th May to a select group of members. :huh: :huh: :huh:

I don't mind telling the whole forum that I seem to be Poseidon B)
Yes and I like swimming and listen a lot to the sirens :huh:

#32 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 08:17 AM

oh well the first stage to getting treatment is to admit ones failings, therefore I AM APOLLO.
:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh:
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#33 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 02:15 PM

So now I should change my snail-picture to the one of Hestia? B) Naaaaaa....

Hi Dinny,

I think Hestia fits your shell well. It's the house of the snail and Hestia is the symbol of home and family B)
Except maybe for the part that it is a virgin goddess :D
She swore to stay one after beeing wooed by Poseidon and Apollo B)

B) :unsure: :unsure:

#34 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 02:19 PM

Hi Dinny,

I think Hestia fits your shell well. It's the house of the snail and Hestia is the symbol of home and family B)
Except maybe for the part that it is a virgin goddess :D
She swore to stay one after beeing wooed by Poseidon and Apollo B)
B) B) :unsure:

I AM NOT REPLYING TO THIS ONE. ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,
:unsure: B) :D ;)
Santo

#35 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 02:23 PM

I AM NOT REPLYING TO THIS ONE. ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,
B) B) B) :unsure:

I did not read it :unsure: B) :D

#36 lois2006

lois2006

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 02:35 PM

I thought you may like this: Which Greek God are you?
http://www.greeceind...gy/whichgod.htm

i'm hestia, but i'm not sure! I reckon there's another side to me which i wasn't asked to click on. anyway whiled away the time and can't wait visit crete. B)

#37 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 02:48 PM

i'm hestia, but i'm not sure! I reckon there's another side to me which i wasn't asked to click on. anyway whiled away the time and can't wait visit crete. B)

I'm pretty certain WE ALL have another side to are persona B) B) :unsure: it's what makes us human !!!!!

So that's two Snails within our site, perhaps we could get a graph knocked up Yannis to see what god resembles the majority.
:unsure: B) :D
Santo

#38 lois2006

lois2006

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:54 PM

I'm pretty certain WE ALL have another side to are persona B) B) B) it's what makes us human !!!!!

So that's two Snails within our site, perhaps we could get a graph knocked up Yannis to see what god resembles the majority.
:unsure: :unsure: B)

I thought our genes made us human. Lois

#39 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 03:58 PM

I can see your going to need to join the "Raki" brigade Lois, and not think too deeply B) B) :unsure: B)
Santo

#40 lois2006

lois2006

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 04:01 PM

I thought our genes made us human. Lois

I'd love to and honest I'm not thinking deeply just about finding the time