#1 pure.irish

pure.irish

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 06:13 AM

Hello everyone!

I am in the midst of planning our honeymoon to the greek islands in early June and we have 4 nights in Crete. I'm confused as to where to stay and would love any advice you all can give! We are in our 20s and looking for a bit of everything. We want to see the sights and experience Crete, but also want some romance. We were orginially looking at Ayios Nickolas, but have read reviews it is too touristy and no sights to see? Is Iraklion a good place to stay or no?

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated! :rolleyes:

#2 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 09:08 PM

Well, we certainly like Iraklion. There are noisy places, and reasonably quiet-ish places. Maybe this is not the most romantic town in Crete, but above all else it has the Knossos and the most important museums. Always an interesting place, and full of people - most of whom are not foreign tourists.

However, I would probably recommend Chania for the purpose. Stay in the western part of the Old Town, just behind the Arsenal. You are within minutes’ stroll of the harbour front with its nice and quite expensive restaurants, and all the also nice but so expensive eating and drinking places just behind.

Henry.

#3 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 12:20 AM

Agios Nikolaos is not as touristy as it used to be and one of the key benefits is that it is quite compact so easy to get about. There are a wide variety of bars, restaurants etc but if it is history and romance you want Chania is probably better.

BUT, you cant get to Kritsa so easily from Chania!!!

Whatever you decide have a really great time.

Yvonne
Kritsa Yvonne

#4 pure.irish

pure.irish

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 06:24 AM

Thank you so much for the advice, we plan on staying in Chania. Any suggestions for hotels in the area of town you recommend?!

#5 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 03:08 PM

As you are going in early June, I really wouldn't book anything in advance. It will be very easy for you to find somewhere really nice (unless you are looking for pools and all that paraphernalia). If you arrive at Chania airport then speak to the taxi drivers (not all speak English), and tell them that you are looking for a nice hotel in the area that I mentioned. When you arrive at the hotel where the driver takes you do feel free to say no to that hotel, and have a look around yourself. You can of course negotiate with the owner too ...

If you will be arriving very late, do let us know here, and we'll see if we can find somewhere to book for at least the first night.

Henry.

#6 bu67

bu67

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 06:05 PM

Hello everyone!

I am in the midst of planning our honeymoon to the greek islands in early June and we have 4 nights in Crete. I'm confused as to where to stay and would love any advice you all can give! We are in our 20s and looking for a bit of everything. We want to see the sights and experience Crete, but also want some romance. We were orginially looking at Ayios Nickolas, but have read reviews it is too touristy and no sights to see? Is Iraklion a good place to stay or no?

Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated! :blink:

Well, my wife & I spent 6 days in Crete in June 2005. We loved it! We stayed in Chania in the old city for 2 nights at the Casa Delfino Suites. It was a VERY nice place and expensive. On the opposite end of the cost spectrum, we spent two nights in Sissi (East of Heraklion) at the Angela I. Much less expensive - wonderful people own & operate it. You probably would need to rent a car if you stay in Sissi as it is a small town.

I don't know if this helps you or not. We are hoping to return for another visit soon.

Jeff Blair
Wharton, TX USA

#7 Caroline

Caroline

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 07:29 PM

I also think Chania will give you everything you are looking for. I stayed at Casa Delfino for two weeks a few years ago. Yes, its expensive, but its your honeymoon, its worth paying the extra. The hotel has a great location and the rooms are superb. The view of Chania from the roof terrace is pretty impressive too. This hotel would definately get my vote. :blink: