79 replies to this topic

#41 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 04:48 PM

We can even play some Glen Miller music for Santo but not on an old gramophone but on a CD player. He might remember some parts of his previous life and start dancing who knows what!! Linda might fall in love with him again. Here is your chance Santo.

#42 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 05:13 PM

just remember when "grandad" has stopped all the singing and dancing with my future young bride (hiding in the shadows) :rolleyes: :D :lol:
you were there for this remarkable event.............................and will possibly be barred from entering Matala for the foreseeable future.
:lol: :D :D :D :D
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#43 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 06:16 PM

Hahahaha Why is she hiding in the shadows? Did u scare her off? bad boy santos bad boy!!!!

#44 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 06:38 PM

suffice to say i make Frankenstein look like Tom Cruise, but then Linda isn't with me for my looks.................................................she loves my charm and personality. ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#45 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:32 PM

Nice Santo, u sound like a cool guy no wander Linda fell in love with u. Cheers m8

#46 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 03:37 PM

Hi all, glad to see arrangements are going ahead while we've been away in Wales. This wasn't exactly a holiday as Bob went to re-tile a bathroom for our friend and the idea was I would walk on the beach, cook for the workers and have a good rest. However, it rained most of the time, the job took longer than expected and I got very bored looking out at the rain pouring down. Never mind it'll make us appreciate Crete even more. Not sure about the hippy thing - difficult to wear flowers in your hair when you haven't got any! (That's Bob). Only 6 weeks to go!

#47 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 08:40 PM

Hei Pam no excuses... u can always paint some flowers on Bob's head. I am sure he wont mind after all he put u through... cooking for the workers and get u bored down to the bone. Hahahaha!!

#48 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 07:52 PM

Hiya Henry, do you have a supplier in the UK ???? or do you bring loads back with you the thought that i might be able to get some here would help in my re-aquantance of it's healing properties..............a few glasses and you don't bother about how you feel, in fact feeling is the last thing you get. ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,ha,

Sorry, my apologies, I complete forgot to answer this one.

Well, the last time we were in Paleochora (18 months ago), the lad in the place where we had stayed for three weeks gave us a parting present, like his Mum had done two years before.

He gave us a large bottle of raki - and I consider one and a half litres of raki to be a large quantity! In fact, we still have a bit left that was similarly given to us, but which is of vintage 1988. Still tastes and smells just fine, by the way.

So we don’t actually drink a lot of the stuff back here in the UK, as you can gather; it somehow doesn’t taste the same when you can’t head the Med or the cicadas, when you can’t smell the thyme and that particular aroma of Crete that I imagine we all know and love. We use it mainly for ‘medicinal purposes’, and of course occasionally when we have visitors.

Oh, incidentally, his Mum had given us a nice little jar of Cretan honey. We managed to finish that rather quicker.

Henry.

#49 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 09:37 AM

Thanks Henry, will make sure i get enough supplies for my return....................i can check out Dinny's supplier at 3 euro a litre !!!!!!
Santo

#50 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 05:11 PM

Good idea, Santo! I have my eyes on a table for about twelve person at a Matala restaurant that will and can - when advised in time - serve the most excellent fresh fish (just checked it out yesterday to make sure), so it would be a pity to leave empty chairs.

Just to let you know that I am doing my best and having a hard time B) (well, not exactly!) in trying everyting to find the best place I can inform you that I "endured" the following menu:

- giant shrimps saganaki

- clams saganaki

- stuffed wineleaves (I know they have a special name, but I forgot, anyway "homemade")

- red mullets

- seabrass

- giant crab (which was sooooooooo delicious, I've never had anything like it)

Oh, and then we had some of those cookies with honey ... but since we accompanied everything with a couple of excellent bottles of white wine I also forgot the name of those!).

Well, of course we were offered a few glasses of rakis to help us on our way home...

I don't recall having paid anything, but maybe my daughter took care of that.

Maybe I should try a couple of places more just to make sure.... B)

#51 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 05:36 PM

Dinny,
if you forget the name of food so quickly, then how will you learn Greek?
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#52 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 06:15 PM

Don't know how my reply to Dinny's last comment ended up in the Marathi/Akrotiri thread ?????? B)
Santo

#53 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 06:38 PM

SO DO I B)

Mabybe Yianni is fooling around B)

But I must say that beeing able to edit your own mail is a structural improvement :D

Fixing my avatar problem is second best B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#54 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 06:45 PM

Dinny wrote:

- stuffed wineleaves (I know they have a special name, but I forgot, anyway "homemade")

Is this dolmades?

Henry.

#55 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 07:00 PM

Here is some to make you (just a teeny bit) homesick Din.

http://www.danish-de...il.asp?recid=43

:rolleyes:
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#56 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 10:01 PM

Dinny,

If I may suggest that we don't decide yet on the restaurant and the food until we finally know who is coming and what eachone would like to eat. For example I am alergic to onions and garlic and Iam not thrilled about giant crabs and sea food specially when I know that in the Greek sea one can neither fish giant crabs nor prawns. They can be found in the sea but they are very rare and expensive. They have started now producing them in artificial ponds feeding them god knows what to make them grow fast. As a matter of fact I read a report that they are feeding them same garbage they were giving for years to the cows before mad cow disease developed. Sorry to break the news and cut your appetite but taste is one thing quality is another. I will be happy with Horta and saganaki some yogurt and fruit thank you very much!. Dolmades unless made locally by the restaurant ( very rare phenomenon,but can be found) are coming from cans which the restaurants buy from Macro in Heraklion.
Even the french fries served in most restaurants in Matala are coming frozen. So I recommend that we have some consensus about the restaurant and the food among all those who are planning to participate in this dinner. Also since all of us will be meeting with each other for the first time I think we will be puting more emphasis on the company and atmosphere rather than the food.
By the way the cookies with the honey ? Those are original and home made. You should better eat them though in the morning since they are quite heavy for the stomach if you eat more than three in the evening. Lol!!

#57 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 07:11 PM

Well, Ton, since the company is the important part of it, I guess that the choice of restaurant is not so important. Still, one or another should be chosen beforehand, since I would like to check with the restaurant the day before that they will actually be able to serve a nice meal. For instance, a day's notice is convenient when you would like to eat fresh fish, so that they will be sure to have bought the fish in time! If any restaurant doesn't expect many guests we would have to fight over the two-three fish they would have to offer! But if you prefer some Saganaki-whatever it won't be a problem, since that it always possible.

By the way, the Dolmades were homemade, made by the mother of the house, no canned stuff, and they were yummmmmmmy :D

Ton, a bit of preparation is always nice if you want a good result, otherwise you would have to depend on luck, which is not always present. :rolleyes:

#58 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 09:21 PM

Gosh,

What a lot of crab about the food.... :D I thought the food was a mantle to cover the rendez vous :D
What a pitty I can't be there, or at least view this spectacle :rolleyes: School duties keep me tight bound to home.

#59 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 02:24 PM

Kouros sorry u can not make it perhaps we can all meet in the summer sometime. U have to let us know when u'r in Crete next time. Everyone I am sure is looking forwards to meet and have a drink with you over Greek mythology (Mousais and the rest you know?) Hahahaha.
Santo and me we will drink a raki to your health on the 20th of May.

#60 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 02:46 PM

I agree with Ton that this meet is more about company than food, but it would be nice to have some good food as well and with Dinny on the spot, I am sure her recommendation will be worthwhile. I tend to go almost vegetarian when I am in Greece as I can't stomach heavy meat dishes in the heat, so a restaurant with a good range of choice to suit everybody would be best. Don't know how you manage in Crete with an allergy to onions and garlic, though!