1 reply to this topic

#1 stevemack

stevemack

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 March 2006 - 12:02 AM

The Jannis Golden Heart is on Beach Road, Stalis - just past the small church, and on the opposite (seaward) side.

Run by Jannis and his wife, the establishment is perfectly run by the pair, with the Sean Connery look-alike Jannis taking care of the rear, seaward part of the restraunt, and his wife as hostess to the Roadside area.

Food is excellent - and remember, this is an Island where everything that is not home grown has to be shipped in. This means that things like peas, carrots etc will usually be tinned - but this is normal in a Bistro style eatery...... prices reflect this and the food, while very good, fresh and palatable, is more than accompanied by the warmth and efficiency of the service.

If you go back - and many many do - you'll form the impression that it's as cosmopolitain as one could expect in a package tour resort. No mean feat in todays market saturated with chicken and chips.

Jannis speaks fluent English, Dutch and German (and maybe even more for al I can tell!), and you will enjoy a genuinely european experience as you hear the hubbub of many languages as you dine.

The breakfasts are something to behold, they truly are. Five euros gets you more than you could ever possibly wish to eat - coffee, breads, meats, cheeses, tomatoes, full cooked breakfast, fresh orange juice, honey and grek yoghurt.... a real 'day starter'. If you manage one, do go back and repay the kindness by sampling the evening fare one night. You'll be genuinely remembered, genuinley welcomed and genuinley appreciated as a guest.

I look forward to dining there again soon!

#2 Helena Howard

Helena Howard

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 03:43 PM

B) This place was recomended to us while on holiday there last week. We ate an evening meal there and I have to say the ambience created by Jannis and his lovely wife Elle was wonderful and the food was one of the best meals we had.
I would definetely go there again on my next visit and maybe try one of those breakfasts Stevemack spoke of:)
Hopefully in September god willing... I miss Crete already:(