12 replies to this topic

#1 John

John

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 10:02 PM

Talk about deja vu! looking through the members photo galleries to remind me of what I am missing, I came across DaveW's photo's. It looks as though we must have stood almost on the same blade of grass to take this particular view (see attached for my photo).

Dave, this was take on 19th September 2005 and is a composite of 3 photos. When did you take your photo? I think this bay is actually the one next to Almyrida, unless the whole area is called Almyrida bay. The Almyrida resort is over your right shoulder and around a headland as you look at the view.

When I get a bit more time (for me that probably means next year!), I'll sort all my photos of Crete and create an album.

John

Attached Files

#2 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 12:24 AM

John,
So you were the guy trying to push me out of the way to get his picture!!! No, seriously I think you may be right about the location. I believe that this photo was taken between Kalyves and Almyrida but can't be sure, but this would fit in with your comment about the where you think it is. I think the photo was probably taken in August 2003. It was a while before I got around to putting together my album and my memory isn't what it used to be. Sorry, what did you say about about the photo? I get fed up of sitting around the pool and usually leave my wife and children there while I disappear for a couple of hours to find places that appeal to me. They won't come with me any more on these trips after I drove them over the mountain road from Asi Gonia to Imbros a few years ago. :o I thought the views were tremendous <_<
Mind you if you want a really 'hairy' drive with some fantastic views for photos then go up to Milia, the eco village. Now that was high and scarry!!! I was told to stop the car by my wife half way up the mountain, I wonder to this day how she thought that she was going to get back to the main road. Mind you I suppose I could always have left her....only joking darling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
John Iv'e just realised that I shouldn't be talking to you 'cos you are the lucky so and so who is soon to be moving to Kokkino Chorio and I'm extremely jealous. If the family can agree on where we are going in the summer perhaps we could meet for a beer in Kalyves/Almyrida!
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#3 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:02 AM

John,
I think that the photo may have been taken between Almyrida and Plaka. The only reason for this assumption is that there appear to be buildings around the bay in the background. The only thing of which I am certain is that it is Crete !!!!!
<_<

#4 John

John

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 07:17 PM

John,
I think that the photo may have been taken between Almyrida and Plaka. The only reason for this assumption is that there appear to be buildings around the bay in the background. The only thing of which I am certain is that it is Crete !!!!!
:rolleyes:

Hi Dave,

If you are in the Kalives/Almirida area between 19th June & 7th July, then yes would love to meet for a beer or two- thats if you can bear to talk to me by then :D :lol: :lol:

John

#5 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 27 March 2006 - 02:22 AM

Sorry John but it looks as though we'll be won't be arriving until the beginning of August so I'll have to take a rain-check on that beer. Why wouldn't I wanna talk to you by then? Just 'cos I'm losing my marbles and can't remember where I have taken pics of,is no reason to ''blank'' you. It's quite funny really because only this afternoon I was sorting through some stuff and found photos from I think 2002, but was that really there or was it here..no, I think it might have been.....get the picture (ha,ha, ha...I didn't mean that !!!!!!).
Nice to hear from you again. Talk to you again before you go.
regards
D :rolleyes:

#6 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 01:26 PM

I'm sure this picture was taken by satellite :)

Google has improved it's Google Map and this part of Crete (Lendas) comes out very crispy.

Attached Files

True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#7 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 05:37 PM

Should this be Lendas, Wim? The other day I didn't notice any harbour with battleship or any ship whatsoever in front... maybe I was too concentrated on my fresh fish to notice? :)

#8 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 07:25 PM

Na :)

Of course you could'nt see that oil tanker.
It's Kali Limenes :lol:

Glad you are so attentive :lol:
Did you like Lendas?

Wim
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#9 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 07:48 PM

Wim
this photo doesn't look like Kaloi Limenes either. There is a small dock on the coast line plus something that looks like a small marina with several buildings around it. My last visit was a couple of years ago and no dock or marina existed there. The coast looks more rocky than what I remember too.
Perhaps Google has made a mistake?
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#10 christa

christa

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 12:42 AM

Ohh - I think it is Kali Limenes... :)

Maybe we can look to my foto - its from 2004 october

Right hand from the little habour you'll find more houses...

Posted Image

Kind regards

Christa

#11 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 01:44 AM

Yeah right Christa,

Of course its Kali Limenes. Its the only south coast village which view was spoiled by this huge oil tanks.
If if weren't for them it would have been a flourishing village. Oh and Yannis Google can't make a mistake because its a satellite pictureB)

#12 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 06:34 AM

yes, you are both right. It is Kaloi Limenes indeed. It is just the west part of the coast close to the little island and we cannot see the long beach east of it.
Sorry Google!
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#13 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 06:23 PM

What worries me more than the exact location is that Google Earth has improved their takings of Crete. I was quite happy with Crete being a total blur, since only big cities and areas of military interest have been visible so far, leaving thus Crete as an area of no interest whatsoever.

Just read the post about the Souda Bay...

:)