#1 olexi

olexi

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 09:44 PM

Hi there,

We are a small group of cycling enthusiasts from Kiev in Ukraine. We would like to visit Crete for about 10 days for cycle touring in late April - early May, and are looking for information to plan and prepare the trip.

The kind of information that we are after is:

- most interesting scenic routes (we would like to go to southern and western parts of the island);
- camping accommodation options along the way (is it allowed to camp in a wild?);
- sites to see;
- contacts with cycling organisations/groups on the island that might provide good advice on cycling in Crete.

Lastly, we as Ukrainians need to open visa to visit Greece. For that we need an invitation letter from an individual or a travel agency in Crete. Who could help us with visas?

We, of course, would be happy to cover any costs associated with this service.

Your help and advise would be greatly acknowledged! Especially any advice and help with visas!!

Thanks a lot in anticipation!

Olexi

#2 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 10:22 PM

I am not into cycling so would not be able to suggest the best routes to cycle to you but I have seen races/tours taking place in many parts of the island. In May, at the time of the Battle of Crete commemoration events, there are often sports events taking place in the overall program. My 2002 brochure shows that in that year the cycle events were organised by the TALOS Cycle Club. I cannot find any link for them but they do get a mention in cyclingnews.com. www.cyclingnews.com If nothing is forthcoming here you might give them a try for contact numbers/addresses.
Tim

#3 christa

christa

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 10:29 PM

Hi Olexi

first - wild camping is not allowed in greece, so also not on crete...

But here is a link to all the campinggrounds on crete with openingtimes and phonenumbers :

Campinggrounds

If you have questions to one, two oder more of them, please feel free to ask...

kind regards

Christa