5 replies to this topic

#1 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 08:35 AM

What is going on here? This morning Crete suddenly disappeared into some yellowish magical cloud. It's like living in a dream, seems surrealistic....

Makes me remember some fantastic photos on ExploreCrete where the whole island was wrapped in a strange coloured atmosphere...

Yesterday evening there was a big storm, at least here in the South. Things were flying around in the air, so it was best to remain inside. And this morning everything is yellow and the sun can't get through it...

All there is to do is to ASK YANNIS!! :)

#2 lars

lars

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 10:40 AM

What is going on here? This morning Crete suddenly disappeared into some yellowish magical cloud. It's like living in a dream, seems surrealistic....

Makes me remember some fantastic photos on ExploreCrete where the whole island was wrapped in a strange coloured atmosphere...

Yesterday evening there was a big storm, at least here in the South. Things were flying around in the air, so it was best to remain inside. And this morning everything is yellow and the sun can't get through it...

All there is to do is to ASK YANNIS!! :)

Winds from south, winds from Africa, I guess Mr Kadaffi has made it again.
??????
???????? ?????? ????????? ??????

#3 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 02:58 PM

My dear Dinny,
there is nothing to worry about. it is just a little sand from Sahara desert that the south winds carried here. Tomorrow it will be a lot better.

Last year it was worse as far as I remember: http://www.explorecr...ahara-crete.htm
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#4 Kikh

Kikh

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 February 2006 - 08:14 PM

"...it is just a little sand from Sahara desert that the south winds carried here..."

Hi Yanni!

I never heard about this Sahara sand-storm earlier, can you tell me more about it? Does it occur in the Hania area as well or is it a "east-side" thingy? I guess sandstorms like this results in an urgent need of cleaning indoors. Will I need to buy a vacum cleaner the first thing I do when I move to Crete?

Don't think I mentioned it earlier but I will join you wonderful Cretans to become a true Kritika and finally live where I left my heart and soul 15 years ago...In the red soil of Hanion:)

Kaló vradi//Kickie

#5 Angela

Angela

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 February 2006 - 09:44 PM

Anyone have any pictures from yesterdays "dust storm"?

#6 lars

lars

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 27 February 2006 - 10:49 AM

"...it is just a little sand from Sahara desert that the south winds carried here..."

Hi Yanni!

I never heard about this Sahara sand-storm earlier, can you tell me more about it? Does it occur in the Hania area as well or is it a "east-side" thingy? I guess sandstorms like this results in an urgent need of cleaning indoors. Will I need to buy a vacum cleaner the first thing I do when I move to Crete?

Don't think I mentioned it earlier but I will join you wonderful Cretans to become a true Kritika and finally live where I left my heart and soul 15 years ago...In the red soil of Hanion:)

Kaló vradi//Kickie

Geia sou Kikh,
This kind of storms occur all over Crete also in Chania and yes it would be a good idea to find a vacum cleaner.
One thing more is worth mentioning. The roads can be very slippery if you have some rain coming short after these sandstorms so be careful when you are out walking or driving.
??????
???????? ?????? ????????? ??????