#1 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 01:05 AM

DINNY,
MANY HAPPY RETURNS OF THE DAY. I HOPE THAT THE TOOTH ACHE DOESN'T SPOIL YOUR -----TH BIRTHDAY.
AS THEY SAY IN WALES 'PENBLWYDD HAPUS I CHI' HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU.
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#2 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 07:18 AM

My dear Dinny,
Hronia Polla for your birthday!
Na ta ekatostiseis, na eisai eftihismeni kai na eheis oti epithimeis!

TRANSLATION:
I wish you to become 100 years old, be happy and have whatever you wish for!
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#3 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 10:09 AM

Not too long to go then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D :P :D :P :)
xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx xxxxx
Oooooppppppssssss, hope this doesn't get me a warning from Yannis!

]

#4 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 11:55 AM

Hi guys :)

Thank you very much for this kind surprise - and for the laugh! Dawe, you just MIGHT get a warning for that, even though you did not tell a lie, ehehheh Only 45 more to go and I will have reached the average age of a Cretan senior citizen.

In Denmark they use to say that if it's bad weather on your birthday it is because you have not behaved well during the year. Having my birthday in the winter time it actually took me 55 years to find a way to get nice weather on my birthday! This morning the sky has never been more blue, the sun is warm and friendly, there is no wind at all, I must really have behaved well this year!!!! Lucky and I just came back from a long walkabout among the olive fields, we almost got lost, and finally the path we were following ended up in a very small brook, so the only possible way was either to go back (NO way!!) or to climb the slope. Lucky was whimsing all around me, a bit worried if the ol' lady could make it. But finally we managed, and further ahead we found that we were almost in Matala, tired and thirsty and with a very long walk back home. Now finally Lucky relaxes a bit on the terrace, if she doesn't get a good run for a couple of hours in the morning she is totally annoying until I give in and get her collar.

Dawe, the Welsh language seems to be just as difficult as Greek - or maybe totally impossible to learn?

:rolleyes:

#5 christa

christa

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 03:06 PM

Also from me

C H R O N I A P O L L A

All the best and a lot of wonderful moments on crete

Enjoy this day...

Christa

Posted Image

#6 Birgit

Birgit

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 05:04 PM

To Dinny,

Happy Birthday!! ... and the rest of my congratulation will be in Danish:

Hjertelig tillykke med fødselsdagen, Dinny. Du kan være glad for, at du ikke er her i Danmark, da vejret er kedeligt: Gråt og tåget og der er sne i luften. Temperaturen ligger lige omkring frysepunktet, så nyd, at du har været en "sød" pige i år. Jo, jeg kan godt se idéen i at rejse et sted hen, hvor der er sol, specielt når man har fødselsdag om vinteren, som vi to jo har.

Jeg håber, at du - stadig - har en god dag og at den vil fortsætte.

Og så håber jeg, at vi måske kan mødes til august, hvor jeg helt bestemt kommer til Kreta. Hvorvidt min pengepunkt føler for at tage en uge i foråret, ja, lad os nu se ....

De kærligste hilsner fra Danmark
Birgit

#7 Hana

Hana

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 07:40 PM

Dinny, here is one from me :) :

Vsechno nejlepsi ke Tvym narozeninam, hodne zdravi, stesti, radosti, jeste par kocicek, a dobre sousedy!

In Czech this means: All the best wishes to you for your birthday, lots of health, happiness, joy, a few more cats and many good neighbourghs!!

Great to hear about you and Lucky having a good time together.

From Hana :rolleyes:

#8 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 08:38 PM

Hjertelig tillykke med fødselsdagen, Dinny. Du kan være glad for, at du ikke er her i Danmark, da vejret er kedeligt: Gråt og tåget og der er sne i luften. Temperaturen ligger lige omkring frysepunktet, så nyd, at du har været en "sød" pige i år. Jo, jeg kan godt se idéen i at rejse et sted hen, hvor der er sol, specielt når man har fødselsdag om vinteren, som vi to jo har.

Jeg håber, at du - stadig - har en god dag og at den vil fortsætte.

Og så håber jeg, at vi måske kan mødes til august, hvor jeg helt bestemt kommer til Kreta. Hvorvidt min pengepunkt føler for at tage en uge i foråret, ja, lad os nu se ....

De kærligste hilsner fra Danmark
Birgit

And by way of decoding this for most readers secret missive:

Heartfelt congratulations with your birthday, Dinny. You can enjoy that you are not here in Denmark, as the weather [here] is dull: grey and foggy, and there's snow in the air. The temperature is around freezing, so enjoy that you have been a "sweet" girl this year. Yes, I can see the idea in travelling somewhere where there's sun, especially if one's birthday is during the winter, the way ours are.

I hope that you will - continue to - have a good day, and that it may last.

And then I hope that perhaps we can meet in August, when I shall definitely be coming to Crete. Whether my pockets are deep enough to take a week in the spring, well, let's see.

Love from Denmark Birgit

And my very best, albeit belated, greetings as well,

Henry.

#9 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 10:19 PM

Che carini che siete tutti! :)

OK, my heart, which is partly - still - Italian had the better of me, I meant "How nice you all are to me!!". It has been very nice to receive your greetings, especially because I feel very attached to this website and feel that you are all my friends although I have known so very few of you personally so far. Hopefully that record will improve during this summer!

Thanks to all of you, it has indeed been a wonderful day with a lot of surprises, the cake was too much for this evening, so we'll enjoy it tomorrow!

#10 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 08:37 PM

Hi Dinny

Glad you had a good day and enjoyed blue skies - I was out last night and so missed the chance to send a Happy Birthday message. Yvonne
Kritsa Yvonne

#11 Angela

Angela

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 08:58 PM

Xronia Polla on your first birthday in Crete!

#12 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 12:38 AM

Dinny
Glad to hear that you had an enjoyable birthday.
Hopefully, if I can get to Crete in the summer, I'll be able to have a belated birthday drink with you.
:). What weeks have you free for visitors in August? Only joking..............................................!
I agree with you about the feelings that are generated by what we consider to be friends on this site. Perhaps we all feel this way because we all have found something on the island. I think Birgit suggested a get together one year. Mind you I can't even get from Kalives to Heraklion to meet Yannis so there is not much hope for me!
I don't know if Welsh is as difficult as Greek as I cannot speak either and have enough trouble with English!!
Both my girls are bilingual, Welsh & English, whilst the youngest who has just started University has decided to go to Greek lessons.

#13 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 11:09 PM

Dear Dinny,

I'm only a tourist on this forum and while travelling it I came aware of this topic that is totally dedicated to you and your birthday. Thoug late I still want to congratulate you with it and wish you many happy returns.

I read a lot of your mails and liked them. You have a nice "touch" and a lovely sence of humor.

I think you'd like this place to celebrate your next one?
Take care

Wim
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#14 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 11:51 AM

Thank you Wim, congratulations are always welcome, even if they are coming after the "event" (believe, at my age it's no big event anymore, he!) ;-)

I had to cancel your link since the forum is not ment for advertising. Besides, there is no traditional stonehouse that can beat mine. Whenever I leave this place it will be "feet first" :-)

#15 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 02:59 PM

O.K. Dinny

Convince me, about the house that is :)

True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#16 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 08 March 2006 - 08:02 PM

Well, as for the house you can see it here: http://www.geocities.com/dinnyna/
(it's under Home Sweet Home) :-)

#17 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 03:27 PM

Hi Din,

Wrote some lines in your guestbook.
I assume the kids are your granddaughters :unsure:

Take care,

Wim