Photo

New Dscoveries At Ancient City Near Chania?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Yorgos

Yorgos

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 05:45 AM

Interesting news from Thursday's Kathimerini:

"Greek archaeologists have unearthed the fortifications of a 2,350-year-old city on Crete marked by extensive signs of siege, Culture Ministry officials said yesterday. The archaeologists discovered the remains of a fortified tower, a city gate and a 3.5-kilometer (2.2-mile) wall surrounding the ancient city of Aptera, near the port of Hania and dating to 4 BC, the ministry said. Of particular importance to research were signs of battle from the post-Classical era, and the discovery of newborn infants buried near the tower. (AFP)"

Is anybody esle aware of any more information on this topic? Anything in the local Cretan press? Strange to read something that interesting about Crete in an Athens newspaper reported by AFP, Agence France Presse!

The existence of Aptera and what remains of it are well known but what is the real news?

Yorgos

#2 lars

lars

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 01:10 PM

Interesting news from Thursday's Kathimerini:

"Greek archaeologists have unearthed the fortifications of a 2,350-year-old city on Crete marked by extensive signs of siege, Culture Ministry officials said yesterday. The archaeologists discovered the remains of a fortified tower, a city gate and a 3.5-kilometer (2.2-mile) wall surrounding the ancient city of Aptera, near the port of Hania and dating to 4 BC, the ministry said. Of particular importance to research were signs of battle from the post-Classical era, and the discovery of newborn infants buried near the tower. (AFP)"

Is anybody esle aware of any more information on this topic? Anything in the local Cretan press? Strange to read something that interesting about Crete in an Athens newspaper reported by AFP, Agence France Presse!

The existence of Aptera and what remains of it are well known but what is the real news?
Yorgos

Kalimera Yorgos,

First of all I am not an archaeologist.
Every time I visit Crete I also pay a visit to Aptera. It is a very interesting site with a very nice view.
Some years ago they started to unearth a place on the right side of the road leading up to the "let me call it plataeu or the flat land"
The last, I guess three years, we have been there, this site has grown bigger and bigger. From a laymans point of view looking on the landscape and the big stones already unearthed you can imagine this tower and even more the wall. You can also see the graves, mentioned above.
There are signs telling about this. I agree with you Yorgos, why call it news now?
Anyway Aptera is a fantastic place. Apteros, who built it, made a good choice to put it where it is situated.

Maybe I am wrong, maybe they have found another place like this. Aptera once was a very important city long before the Turkish "kastro" was built. I am sure there is much more to discover up there.
??????
???????? ?????? ????????? ??????

#3 Yorgos

Yorgos

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 01:12 AM

Thank you Lars, I have not been to Aptera yet but from your description sounds that I must go there on my next visit to Chania in a few months time.

Discoveries like the one reported are the outcome of work that takes years to complete and most certainly it is the outcome of the work you have been observing over the last few years. It is infuriating though to get news of it through Agence France Presse rather than a full report in the Greek press for the excavation team!

Hopefully when I visit Aptera the authorities there may be able to spare me with a bit more information about what they have discovered. I get annoyed by professional historians who believe such information is for the academic word only, that the average man on the street has no interest in such things, or that they could not be bothered in informing the average person, because they are too busy doing important academic work. The arrogance of many of that kind infuriates me.

Sorry for that rant but I had to get it off my chest.

And I may see you one day at Aptera, I have to find out from how high up the Sirens jumped when they lost to the Muses during their competition.

Yorgos

#4 christa

christa

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 01:39 AM

For those who are interested here are another 2 articles :

Middle-East-Times

and

ABC-News

And Aptera is very, very worth to visit. You will have a view - its fantastic. And from the archeological sight its very interesting. We stayed there more than 2 days...

Best regards

Christa - going up to learn more english and greek... :unsure:

#5 Yorgos

Yorgos

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 04:40 AM

Thank you Christa, obviously there has been a public announcement by Vanna Niniou-Kindeli, a respected Greek archaeologist, picked up by ABC and others but not by the Greek press!

Good luck with your Greek and English!

#6 lars

lars

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 12:47 PM

Thank you Christa, obviously there has been a public announcement by Vanna Niniou-Kindeli, a respected Greek archaeologist, picked up by ABC and others but not by the Greek press!

Good luck with your Greek and English!

Hello again Yorgos,
Already 2003 a Swedish journal, Populär Arkeologi 4-2003, had an article about the tower and the wall.
It is mentioned that it is a team from the museum of Chania who is digging under the leadership of Vanna Niniou-Kindeli. The findings are among other things bullets of led, spear-heads of iron but also round riverstones used for the throwing-machines ( if that is the right word?).
The work with unearthing the tower and the wall will continue, she says, which I only can confirm.

When you go to Crete next time pay Aptera a visit, you will for sure not regret it. It i easy to spend a whole day there. If you get hungry and have not brought some food along, there are some places in the village Megali Chorafia below.
??????
???????? ?????? ????????? ??????

#7 manolisnavy

manolisnavy

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 03:38 PM

We were renting in Magala Chorafia this summer. So we visited the ruins on the top of the hill and saw the castle and the monastiri. On our return to Athens I looked for some more information about the ruins and we found this The ancient city of Aptera

A webiste dedicated to the ancient city of Aptera. It is better to read the history of the ancient site before you visit the ruins.

Euxaristo.
Manolis

#8 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 03:42 PM

Posted Image

A pic of the fortress.

On Google Earth you can have an overview of the whole excavation at 35 27 46.91 N / 24 08 35.09 E

B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#9 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 01:13 AM

I visited the site a couple of years ago and was especially fascinated by the Roman excavations. As others have already commented, work was being done then on the right as you drove up to the site.
I think that there are a couple of pics in 'Dave's crete' in the 'gallery' of the Roman Cisterns and I'll try to find some more that I took at the time and place in the 'gallery'.
It will be interesting to see just how far the work has progressed and is definitely on the 'to do' list for next summer.
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#10 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 10:47 AM

If you want some background information about the place then I think these sites:
http://users.otenet....ptera/index.htm
http://www.travel-to-crete.com/page.php?page_id=467
will do.

http://upload.wikime..._-_Foto_G._Dall
And there is also this beautiful statue that can be found in the Instanbul Archeological museum. Yes right, robbed from Aptera. It dates from 69 - 96 AD.

So besides the Elgin Marbles et. etc. there is also this statue that can be put on the list.
B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."