21 replies to this topic

#1 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 08:52 AM

I saw that Ton was asking about this subject in the thread of the container harbour, so we might as well have a new thread on the subject of the Red Beach building plans. I don't know these plans, the usual 'rumours' that the Belgians are going to build a big holiday resort at Red Beach.

People down here seem to be positive about this idea. Maybe due to lack of immagination. We were talking about it the other day and I asked if the Belgians were planning to bring all the stuff to Red Beach by boat since there are no roads going down there. The answer was that they would probably build a road, and nobody seemed to wonder where this road would pass, how much traffic it would bring, etc. The main idea is that 'we don't worry about the Red Beach building since it is not HERE'.

:blink:

#2 christa

christa

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 11:58 AM

Good morning Dinny :-)

here is a link to the golfproject in Matala from ELKE e-news...

THE MATALA PROJEKT

On Crete new places for golf and great hotels shall also be build in the area of Palekastro and Makriyialos by a cyprian investor.

For those who don't know the area round Matala and the red beach can find some fotos in my album

Matala

Kind regards

Christa

#3 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 05:38 PM

Thanks a lot, Christa. I have also sent the link to my daughter in Matala so that she can read what to expect.

#4 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 12:48 AM

Good morning Dinny :-)

here is a link to the golfproject in Matala from ELKE e-news...
THE MATALA PROJEKT
On Crete new places for golf and great hotels shall also be build in the area of Palekastro and Makriyialos by a cyprian investor.

For those who don't know the area round Matala and the red beach can find some fotos in my album

Matala

Kind regards

Christa

Christa many thanks for the link. This project in Matala sounds good if it finally goes ahead!! It seems that some smart investors envisage south Crete to be in 20 years what Florida and South California turned out to be in US, i.e (a leisure place for the young and old.... without the haricaines of course). I just hope projects like this besides bringing positive returns for the investors they can also stimulate the local economy without altering the beautiful and proud Cretan culture and way of life. I have a positive feeling for this project as well as for the other development plans in Paleokastro and Makrisyalos. Perhaps Yannis can sniff fom somewhere the latest developments on these projects? U all have a nice week end.
Cheers-Ton

#5 christa

christa

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 03:04 AM

urggsss.... :unsure:

Posted Image

#6 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 02:11 PM

Christa many thanks for the link. This project in Matala sounds good if it finally goes ahead!! It seems that some smart investors envisage south Crete to be in 20 years what Florida and South California turned out to be in US, i.e (a leisure place for the young and old.... without the haricaines of course). I just hope projects like this besides bringing positive returns for the investors they can also stimulate the local economy without altering the beautiful and proud Cretan culture and way of life. I have a positive feeling for this project as well as for the other development plans in Paleokastro and Makrisyalos. Perhaps Yannis can sniff fom somewhere the latest developments on these projects? U all have a nice week end.
Cheers-Ton

Well, Ton.... I think that people visits the South of Crete because of the unspoiled environment. If we liked Florida, we would go to Florida! I for one can say that if Southern Crete turns into something remotely like Florida I'll be the first to leave Crete, daughter, grandchildren and whatever, it's just not my way of living.

So if the Cretans think that building a huge golf resort at Red Beach is good for the economy down here, then I can't do much about it, except finding some other quiet little island where to live in the future. When they finally find themselves in a Florida-like-environment it'll be too late to have regrets, but hopefully people down here can spend the rest of their lives happily counting their money, there won't be much else to enjoy.

#7 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 09:39 PM

Well, Ton.... I think that people visits the South of Crete because of the unspoiled environment. If we liked Florida, we would go to Florida! I for one can say that if Southern Crete turns into something remotely like Florida I'll be the first to leave Crete, daughter, grandchildren and whatever, it's just not my way of living.

So if the Cretans think that building a huge golf resort at Red Beach is good for the economy down here, then I can't do much about it, except finding some other quiet little island where to live in the future. When they finally find themselves in a Florida-like-environment it'll be too late to have regrets, but hopefully people down here can spend the rest of their lives happily counting their money, there won't be much else to enjoy.

Dinny I share your thoughts. I would like to say that my comments by no means reflect the Cretan people. Let us face it. Today's Crete is not what Crete used to be 20,30,40 years ago. Take Matala for example. In 1960's was a paradise for the flower children and naturalists. Today's Matala is completely another story. Full of huts small shops& bars, rental car/scooter places and hotels, garbage in the streets and tourists from all over the place. Is this what u like? Even the nice caves are surrounded by an ugly rusted barb wire!!!In my view if tourist and not industrial (like the port in Timbaki) investments are made anywhere in Crete by preserving the natural beauty of the place and at the same time stimulating the local economy, then everyone will benefit from such investments. This is done through proper infrastracture. (roads, sewage, water etc). It is called progress. Some like it some not. We can not stop it. For those who choose to accept it, they have to live with the consequences of their decisions good or bad. For those who dont accept such progress there is always Gavdos in the near as an alternative. By the way in the 60's Matala was like Gavdos is today. And as for Florida, Crete might never become Florida but very similar to other Mediterenean islands which are now to expensive for more private investment. What I am saying Crete is still cheap thats why money will pour in.
:unsure: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#8 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 01:03 PM

Dinny I share your thoughts. I would like to say that my comments by no means reflect the Cretan people. Let us face it. Today's Crete is not what Crete used to be 20,30,40 years ago. Take Matala for example. In 1960's was a paradise for the flower children and naturalists. Today's Matala is completely another story. Full of huts small shops& bars, rental car/scooter places and hotels, garbage in the streets and tourists from all over the place. Is this what u like? Even the nice caves are surrounded by an ugly rusted barb wire!!!In my view if tourist and not industrial (like the port in Timbaki) investments are made anywhere in Crete by preserving the natural beauty of the place and at the same time stimulating the local economy, then everyone will benefit from such investments. This is done through proper infrastracture. (roads, sewage, water etc). It is called progress. Some like it some not. We can not stop it. For those who choose to accept it, they have to live with the consequences of their decisions good or bad. For those who dont accept such progress there is always Gavdos in the near as an alternative. By the way in the 60's Matala was like Gavdos is today. And as for Florida, Crete might never become Florida but very similar to other Mediterenean islands which are now to expensive for more private investment. What I am saying Crete is still cheap thats why money will pour in.
:) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The latest roumors from south crete are that the villages of Matala and Pitsidia have recently voted favourably to go ahead with the Belgian Greenwell plans and they view that the whole area will benefit from this project. However there are some concerns from the city Meyor of Timbaki!! I guess he is concerned that he might be forced to take up golf lessons!!!lol

#9 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 03:26 PM

The latest roumors from south crete are that the villages of Matala and Pitsidia have recently voted favourably to go ahead with the Belgian Greenwell plans and they view that the whole area will benefit from this project. However there are some concerns from the city Meyor of Timbaki!! I guess he is concerned that he might be forced to take up golf lessons!!!lol

Ton, I'm curious! How did Pitsidia and Matala "vote" on this subject? Has there been a public hearing where people could bring their objections, if any? And if so, was this public hearing published in any way in order for the people to know about it? Have the plans for the new construction been laid out to the people living here, so that they know what it is about?

#10 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 05:20 PM

A TIP FROM YANNIS

Do you know that you can skip quoting the previous message in your answer?
Instead of using "REPLY, scroll a bit lower and use FAST REPLY or ADD REPLY.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#11 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 07:36 PM

Dinny, if u live close by u may want to check with the local village administrators and confirm if the roumors below r correct. Apparently from a friend of mine who lives in the area the villages close to the proximity of the project have recently voted in favour of the project and yes the plans had been shown and discussed with the local officials. I think that the villages which could vote wr the ones which the land belongs to, but I am not sure.

#12 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 05:55 PM

Oh my God,

Here goes another unspoiled part of Crete.

I copied this text from the Matala Project in which the architect is selling his soul to the devil. And since I'm one I know he's just saving his project.

The reasons why, among many other options, Crete was chosen for this particular investment are as follows:

1. Crete has been a well-known tourist destination for many decades now.

2. It combines- especially in the South- an unspoiled Mediterranean landscape of exceptional beauty with a moderate climate and sunshine at levels reaching 300 days per year.

3. It offers alternative forms of tourism such as hiking, which offers the tourists the opportunity to discover the rich flora and fauna of the island either by hiking through canyons such as the Samaria canyon, or by climbing the slopes of Mount Psiloritis or of the White Mountain.

4. It is a perfect combination of holidays not only with exercising, sports and all forms of physical activity but also with more intellectual pursuits such as acquaintance with the rich cultural heritage of the island dating back to the Minoan times. So, one can visit the Minoan palaces of Knossos and Faestos and marvel at the exquisite beauty and craftsmanship of the numerous objects that were excavated by the archaeologists’ pickaxe, most of which are on display at the world-famous museum of Heraklio. Of great interest are the monasteries of the island -Toplou, Preveli, Gouvernetou, Arkadi, to name just a few - and the relics of the Franco-Venetian occupation of the island in the cities of Chania or Rethymno.

5. Moreover, most of the tourists that choose Crete for their holidays come from European countries in which golf is a widespread sport.

All what he says is true, I just don't understand why he thinks that people who want to play golf on their holidays will also hike the Psliloritus, got to Phaistos, Agia-Triada, the museum in Heraklion do the Samaria and the Imbross even Chrissi Island etc. Has he ever been to a golf course?

What a lot of bull B) Has he ever estimated the infra structual stress on this part of the south?

Look at the development of Elounta-Agios Nikolaos actually the whole northern part of Crete. The south does not "earn" such mal treatment.
It should be treated as an "inherritance" and be developed with love and care, with respect for the past and wisdom towards the future only then everybody will gain by it in the long run.

Gosh such things make me angry :unsure:
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#13 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 06:48 PM

On the 20th of Feb.2006 some questions related to the Belgian project in Matala were raised in the Greekparliament, brought over by the Ecological group of Heraklion Crete. The Eco group is opposing the project. Their Greek link is:

http://www.ecocrete.gr/

#14 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 07:12 PM

thanks for the tip yannis, as for the "New Florida" we have to accept that whatever happens over there will at some point find it's way across the world.............am i happy NO !!! but i don't have enough clout whether as a spokesperson or financially to make the difference, as for golf i am one of those "people" but still prefer to use my holiday for chilling, visiting and catching up with friends new and old.
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#15 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 10:54 AM

Latest is that the Mayor of Timbaki will not sign the sale of the land to the Belgians despite the positive feeling the peole of Pitsidia and Matala have for this project. So for the time being the Golf course plans are stuck. The Mayor concerns are the huge water needs for the Golf course maintenance.

#16 fst

fst

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 12:04 PM

Any new information?
Is this project still an "hot" option?
I realy hope that this will not ever be realised.
Does anybody know status of today? :rolleyes:

#17 little mo

little mo

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 05:53 PM

I may be an old cynic but perhaps the Mayor of Tympaki is thinking more about how he may lose the container port if the golf course goes ahead. Obviously both ideas are not eco friendly or in any way in keeping with the area but if I had to choose it would be the golf course for me but hopefully both ideas will sink without a trace!
Why do the Greek population not realise that they have a much greater chance of upping their tourist numbers by looking for much less destructive ways to use their beautiful islands. Tourists now go to places like Croatia which have kept or rebuilt their old traditional buildings and places of interest and have developed sensitively. The Greeks involved in the tourist industry need to get up to date with what people really want!

#18 Assim

Assim

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 09:08 AM

People goto places like Croatia because its cheaper. Since Greece joined the Euro zone prices have risen considerably. The service has not. For Greece to compete for tourism it needs to change its direction. No longer is it a cheap destination with cheap meals and drinks when you get there. Greece needs to step up its value by attracting a different type of tourist. Due to the fact there are destinations that are cheaper to get to and cheaper once you are there, Greece will lose that type of custom. Hence the golf course is a good idea, as this is the class of people you now need to attract as tourists.

If this means things will change then so be it. The taverna owners, the sunbed owners, the car hire people, the taxi drivers, in fact all of the tourist related industries only have themselves to blame if things change. They cannot put up their prices, as they have done, and keep the same level of service. Expecting people to pay and offering nothing more in return doesn't work!

#19 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 25 June 2007 - 05:35 PM

The latest I have heard about the golf course in Matala is .......it is still in the works.... trying to clear all the necessary local paperwork which in Greece takes centuries. So whoever dreams of playing golf above the red beach you may have to wait a couple of more decades.

#20 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 27 June 2007 - 10:08 AM

:) :) :D :P

Look at the development of Elounta-Agios Nikolaos actually the whole northern part of Crete. The south does not "earn" such mal treatment.
It should be treated as an "inherritance" and be developed with love and care, with respect for the past and wisdom towards the future only then everybody will gain by it in the long run.

:)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."