33 replies to this topic

#1 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 02:40 PM

We are hoping to take the car and visit friends and family in Europe on our way to Crete in late August 2006. Not our usual time (too hot, and too busy), but there's a reason for our madness.

If - and it's a big if - we are going to take the car, then chances are that we'll arrive in Patras, and as our destination is SW Crete, we would be looking towards sailing from the Pelopponese to western Crete.

I seem to remember that there's a boat sailing between Monemvasia in the SE Pelopponese and Kissamos/Kastelli (west of Chania), but I can't find any informative links now. Does anybody know of this or another similar route?

TIA, Henry.

#2 UffeS

UffeS

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 29 December 2005 - 05:19 PM

Hi Henry :D long time no see! How are you?

I found something related to your topic, sorry I don't anything more about it. Maybe you've already visited this site:

http://www.ferries.g..._monemvasia.htm

Happy New Year!

/Uffe

#3 lars

lars

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 04:11 PM

Hello Henry,
You are right, there is a ferry to Kastelli.
The line you are looking for is Anen Lines and the ferry is Mirtidiotissa. It is an old ferry not that big but still ok.
We have used it many times and if you are lucky catch a day trip,it is very nice indeed. The night trip is on the other hand not funny at all. The service on board is not to compare with the ferries from Italy to Greece of course.
We embark the ferry in Gythion down south of P. Gythion is a nice small fishermans town and a good place to stay the night.
If I am not wrong the trip is about 7 hours. The distance to Crete is not much but the ferry enters Kythira and Antikithera, two small islands between P and Crete.
Dolphins are common in those waters and we have been lucky to catch a glimpse of them every time and now and then some flying-fishes.
The captain is a nice guy even though he seems a bit sulky ( I wonder if that is the right word?).
As the ferry is not too big it might be a good idea to fix the ticket in advance. It is a rather popular route especially in August.
Hope this will help you out.
lars
Kriti sti kardia mou

Happy New Year!
??????
???????? ?????? ????????? ??????

#4 lars

lars

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 11:56 AM

Sorry Henry but I forgot to give you the address to the homepage of Anen Lines which is
http://www.anen.gr/AnenUK.htm
It seems they have not yet set the timetable for next year.
Just for your information it is possible to buy the tickets when you reach Patras. There are plenty of offices there selling tickets.
??????

#5 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 01:50 PM

Happy New Year too to Uffe and Lars, and thanks for the info.

I did have had a look at the ferries.gr site, but where I was ignorant - and where Lars has helpfully enlightened me - was about the departure port in the Pelopponese.

Having has a look at the Anen site, it could appear that the ship Lars has been on has been superseeded, unless of course they Anen simply renamed the SS Anemos (maybe named after a famous Greek restaurant in London - or maybe not!) to Mirtidiotissa.

It sounds like an absolutely wonderful sailing, and I am keeping fingers crossed that our summer adventure can materialise.

Thanks again, Henry.

#6 lars

lars

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 11:52 PM

Hello again Henry,
Have a look at the following page: http://www.ferry-sit...7419626&lang=en
She is beauty is she not?????
I remember that the ship was repainted some years ago and maybe that was when she also got her new name.
I guess you can leave also from Kalamata. We have not tried that harbour though.
lars
Kriti sti kardia mou

#7 lars

lars

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:47 AM

Henry the name I guess is connected to the Patron M
Have a look: http://kominos.com/mirtidia_en.htm
lars
Kriti sti kardia mou
??????

#8 lars

lars

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 11:45 AM

Some months ago we had a discussion about different kinds of raki and different flavours here on the board.
I mentioned some blue berries and with the help of Yannis we found out the name of them.
It seems that Mirtodiotissa is involved one way or the other.
In the text describing the icon I found this;

"The place is called Mirtidia because always was full of mirties (a kind of bush). The icon was found from a farmer among mirties between the years of 1160-1300 AD."

That is the bush where the blue berries are found and then put into a bottle which finally is filled with raki!
It is good to be curious, you learn a lot from it........usually.
Jamas!
lars
Kriti sti kardia mou
??????

#9 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 07:54 PM

Thanks for all that, Lars.

The ferry-site.dk is very good, and it was interesting to see Dana Anglia (a boat that I know rather well) will soon be sailing between England and France, under a new name.

I also looked up some of the old DFDS ships. Back in 1976 one of them - I don't remember which one, as I was exceedingly tired - carried me, my car (an old Peugeot 404) and my worldly belongings to England, which is where I've lived since. Unlike Dinny I am very happy living where I do, and whilst I thoroughly enjoy travelling, especially to Greece and Crete, I can't see us ever moving.

The oldest of the ships that I remember was the Kronprins Frederik (Crownprince Frederik). I had the dubious pleasure on being a passenger on her very last sailing between Newcastle and Denmark in the summer of 1974. I had quite a nice cabin - no shower, but a bath tub! The waiters were far too busy celebrating (or drowning their sorrows) to serve us, so whenever one appeared we bought beer by the fistful. Ah the good old days ...

Henry.

#10 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:09 PM

Has anyone travelled by ferry to Crete in recent years?

I want to come over next week so I'm just exploring travel options and ferry seems to be cheaper than flying.
However, to book a whole cabin costs more than a flight, a shared cabin (with a stranger of the same gender) is €143 and an airplane type seat ( which I think reclines ) is €86.50.

I hate to be suspicious or cast aspersions on fellow travellers, but if I were to take the cheapest option, how safe do you think it would be as a young female travelling alone? I don't want to be hasselled constantly by strange men and I don't want to wake up to find my luggage missing.

:lol:

I think i'll be going to Heraklion, Rhythymno and Chania so if anyone would like to PM me with suggestions of places to stay, I'd be more than grateful. I can find places but it's nice to have recommendations from people you trust.
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#11 Assim

Assim

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 14 March 2008 - 11:52 PM

Emma , if i remember right you are in Athens at the moment?

Why not use the high speed? Its only 5 hours so you wont need a cabin.
The cheapest is €70 or €80 round trip and business class is less than €100. If its like the ferry I took to Milos business class its worth it. Plenty of seats and a front window view with table service ;)

hmmm....I got the prices from this link (2005?) so may well be more, but check it out ;)
http://www.ferries.i.../highspeed5.htm

I did a cabin to an island near Naxos. Never again. we booked 4 beds (for 2 of us) so paid double (at our travel agents advise) so we could get a cabin together. when we got there they wouldn't let us have a cabin together. so i ended up sharing a cabin with a smoker :lol: I went to see my wife and she was alone. so i sneaked into her cabin and didn't sleep properly all night. It would of been more comfortable finding a couple of chairs and crashing on them. Its simply not worth the extra in my experience. That was an 11 hour ferry journey

#12 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 12:19 AM

Yup, I'm in Athens. thanks for the tip about the cabin. It hadn't even crossed my mind that people would smoke DESPITE living here since January!

I'll check the link out, thanks, I didn't think the high-speed ferries ran in winter, but it would be much better.

edit: nope, can only find overnight ferries. Might go ask a travel agent
Now is the time for drinking, now the time to beat the earth with unfettered foot.

#13 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 11:49 AM

Hi
You might get a pleasant surprise if you check out the price of a flight, we had intended to use a ferry from Athens at Xmas but found the price of a flight was virtually the same as a cabin for 2.

That said, when we drive from the UK to Crete we always have a cabin - they are clean and very comfortable but it has never crossed my mind that people might share with people they don't know!!

If you were to use the aeroplane type chairs there are 2 prices so I would go for the dearer ones and there are facilities for luggage to be taken on board in a container so that it remains secure - I know there are various ferries but we have always used Minoan Lines.

However you get there - have a great time!
Kritsa Yvonne

#14 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:18 PM

Can't help with the ferry, I'm afraid as we've never looked at that. However, we have stayed in Heraklion for one night at the start of our holiday the last few times as we have been arriving late in the evening and after trying a couple of others have found Kronos to be good in terms of position - it's right by the harbour and fairly quiet. If you stay in Rethymnon, find a place in the old town. We stayed in one place there that was charmingly eccentric - nothing special in terms of rooms, but had a lovely roof terrace which guests were welcome to use and served a great breakfast in the cafe next door, all included in the price. Can't remember the name, but it's mentioned in the Rough Guide and I can probably find it if you're interested.

Have a great time - unfortunately we're not out this year until June, but visited last year end March and had a lovely time.

Pam & Bob

#15 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 03:23 PM

"φιλενάδα" great time from me too.

Remember, that if you take the ferry (which I think is the most romantic way to get to Crete) to wake up in time. That's about the moment the ships motor changes it's rotations (which you don't experience when you take the fast ferry), get yourself a nice cup of coffee, not tea (that's for the afternoon) go to the front of the ships upper deck and have a look at the north coast of the island. Don't forget your camera, and see Crete rise from the misty waters. Look from left to right and see the famous "lying man" shaped by the contours of the mountains. It's quite a sight and there are not a lot of visitors who ever were aware or noticed this phenomena :lol:

Καλο ταξιδι !!

;)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#16 Ray

Ray

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:38 PM

It is supposed to be the head of Zeus, Wim, who was born on the island.

Ray

#17 john4d

john4d

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:33 PM

Are you a risk taker?

Just book as a deck passenger about 30 euros. After the ferry has sailed they always, well nearly always, announce "any passengers who wish to upgrade come to reception" Then go and haggle.

John

#18 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:22 AM

Sorry Ray, don't agree there.

It's not only a head (Dikti) it has also got a body (Idi) , feet (Ori) and a sort of erection. B)

:D
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#19 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:52 AM

In a book about (and I think also called) Greek Islands, Lawrence Durrell quotes an old Arabic proverb, that "the soul cannot travel faster than a camel". Like just about everybody else we usually fly to Crete and elsewhere, but having so far just the once sailed into Souda Bay about sunset (in early July) I know that you get a new and wonderful experience. And you have already been acclimatised - at the speed of a sea-going camel!

#20 Emma1310

Emma1310

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 21 March 2008 - 04:05 PM

Sailed into Chania as deck passenger and it was fine. Well, apart from having a cold, the smokers killing my sinuses and not sleeping! God knows what I was expecting, more Michael Palin and less cross-channel ferry I think. :(

Was on deck about 6am when it was still pitch black as we rounded the point with the lighthouse. Within 15 minutes it was quite light which felt strange. Does anyone know what the island is as the ferry rounds the coast to head towards the harbour? I took a few pictures but they're not so good.