#61 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 02:43 PM

Posted on: Thursday, May 11, 2006 ; 11:52 IST

Dubai: Dubai Ports Worldwide has expressed interest in expanding the port of Timbaki on the southern island of Crete, Greece's Merchant Marine Ministry said.

“Dubai Ports Worldwide is examining the possibility of boosting the infrastructure for the development of the port of Timbaki,” the ministry said.

The development plan includes combination with air transport through a 3.5-km runway, the ministry said.

In November, state-owned China Ocean Shipping (Group) Co, or Cosco, said it was eyeing Timbaki -- which is on Crete's south coast -- as the site for the development of a transshipment container terminal.

The Chinese, and delegations from other countries, will return to Greece at the beginning of June to continue discussions regarding the development of Greek ports, Merchant Marine Minister Manolis Kefalogiannis said. -- Reuters

#62 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 12:09 PM

Thought I'd start a new topic rather than add to the original one. Any updates on this? It's been over a month since I saw anything. I do hope it's been ditched!

Pam

#63 Katarina

Katarina

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 02:09 PM

I too was hoping this would be dropped - local opposition was high and so many other locations looked easier and better from everyone's point of view. Unfortunately on another forum an American lady that translates Greek news that she finds into English posted this only 2 days ago:

TYMPAKI AIRPORT AUTHORITIES SIGN CONTRACT TO CONVERT INTO A CIVIL AIRPORT
The Tympaki airport and port authorities have come into an agreement with Chinese industrialists and with the Dubai Port Management authorities to convert the port into a commercial cargo port and convert the airport from a military to a civil one. At the present time the Dubai Port Management manages 200 ports in 18 countries. The cost of the conversion is expected to be about 6 billion euro and it will serve as a strategic commercial port for the northeastern Mediterranean. The master plan will also include many upgrades for the port of Heraklion with new roads and a proposed toll booth

My heart is breaking as I think of one of the last unspoilt coastlines of Europe being at risk from so much pollution. If it is true I am sure that the airport has been offered to the tourist industry in order to get agreement
If anybody has any more news either way I would love to know - no matter how bad it is. I have searched the internet myself and not been able to find confirmation but that doesn't mean anything

#64 Katarina

Katarina

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 07:51 PM

Help..
http://tovima.dolnet...?...;m=D06&aa=1
I've found this link with a report about the latest Port developments but after a lot of sweat and tears (and a futile attempt at BabelFish - I think that just confuses things!!!) I'm still not sure exactly what it says - any Greek speakers able to translate?
I think it is saying that there is no decision yet and that the chinese are frustrated with the Greek government since their visit to Timbaki last year, but it's still a possibility

Anyone able to shed any further light?

K

#65 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:19 PM

I dug this from the internet.

http://images.ttnet....?...p&chap.html

Bad news :rolleyes:
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#66 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 08:46 AM

Rumours (TV announcement) are that an agreement was signed with Dubai Port two days ago... :)

Anybody know more?

:) :P B) :D

#67 bu67

bu67

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 04:53 PM

:)
I just read the link that Wim posted. It is sad, indeed! A commercial development of that size will dramatically change the southern coast of Crete. I hope it doesn't happen.

Jeff
Texas

#68 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 05:35 PM

Just to let you all know about the Grecian points of view in the:

Sino-Hellenic bilaterale business

Seperating this topic from the original one did'nt help much in showing the previous comments concerning this Tymbakion disastrous developments. There were four pages with comments on this item so I think I'll refrain from giving any :)

In case you did'nt read any just look up the starting topic with the same name in; the Forum Index >Crete>General>Container Harbour In Tymbaki.sic
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#69 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 12 August 2006 - 07:29 PM

Wim is right: there was no need for a new thread, as the previous one contained valuable information about the project of the new harbour in Timbaki. I believe it is better for the reader to have all the information and messages in one thread, so I have merged the older with the new one.

To Dinny: nothing has been announced in the local press the last days. I doubt if such an agreement with the Dubai company would be kept secret. As far as I have read in the news, the Minister of Finance is now responsible for negotiating with the Chinese officials and he has planned a trip to China in September.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#70 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 11:19 AM

It seems that Kefalogiannis got told off by Karamanlis and Mrs Bakogianni for his delays with the Greek/Chinese ports progress in Greece, so they decided to bring in the top gun of Minister Alogoskoufis. According to the Greek media he will have meetings with the Chinese in September to bring the situation under control by promissing quick government actions to fit the Chinese time schedule. In the mean time Kefalogiannis is inviting in Crete all Asian and MiddleEast business sharks in an effort to attract investment capital. The media today reported that a couple of days ago the Koreans visited Timbaki. I am wandering who is coming next? Soon they will be running out of visitors and they might decide to leave us alone with our unspoiled environment and our garbage in the streets.

#71 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 12:13 PM

Hear! Hear!

Ton, I tried to find out who you are by checking your members profile, but there was no info.
Do you live in Crete and/or are you working for the government since you seem to be very well informed.
I like your comments.

Wim

#72 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 12:29 PM

Wim......Ton is an elusive member of the website, for he is neither there or here.

he appears slowly and gracefully during the night with only the slight sound of flapping wings, to arrive at the side of a nubile young lady where upon he delights himself with a meal of Horta and then to disappear before the rising of the morning sun.................................good hunting my friend <_< :angry: :(
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#73 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 02:25 PM

Wim, thank the universe Iam not a civil worker. I grew up in Crete and now I live and work in Switzerland. I am visiting my family in Crete (close to Dinny's kingdom) several times thru the year. Mind u I am propably one of the few in this Forum who remembers the TV series 'who paid the ferryman' as well as the starting music theme. At the same time there was also another show on the UK TV which I enjoyed watching named 'Shoestring'. The private investigator from Radio West. Perhaps Wim and Santo you guys may recall this show.
Anyhow let us hope that the story with the port in Timbaki is 'Bourdes' as we say in Greece translated to English will be BS.
Santo my friend Iam very glad to see that you'r still blissfully oblivious to your own cyber world which many would be jealous off. Keep it up and soon absolute freedom is coming (Assuming Linda goes along with....). Perhaps next year Wim can join us in South Crete for Horta and Garlic. By the way when the Koreans came for the port visit in Timbaki the local officials took them for dinner and offered them snails and Raki (Tsikoudia) which they enjoyed very much. Besides their comments about the port in Timbaki and how much they enjoyed the food and the hospitality they commented that during the visit they saw hundreds of loose dogs and cats in the streets in Timbaki. Our Greek government host answered to them ' Well you know in Greece we do not eat them'

#74 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 02:35 PM

Hi, Ton, good to see you back on the Forum, we've missed you. Hope you had a good holiday in Crete. Do keep us updated on developments in Timbaki.

#75 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 02:44 PM

Sadly to say I do remember "shoestring" who was played by Trevor Eve. <_< :angry:

Re Wim coming next year i don't see why Dinny can't start organising something now for say May 22nd to 29th, in fact Saturday 26th May could be a good starter, we could have a mass party :( B) :D

have a block booking for the Zafira Hotel, come on Dinny we need a party !!!!!!!
B)

look forward to seeing your blog Ton.
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#76 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 10:15 AM

The latest from the Korean visit (according to Patris news from today) is: 1. It was revealed to the Korean delegation by the Greek officials that no deal has been signed with the Chinese so far. The Chinese do not want to invest even one Euro from their pocket. They would rather prefer to bring their container boats to Piraeus and Thessaloniki or even Astakos. 2. The Koreans are interested to construct the Timbaki port.

In other words so far nothing is concrete about the construction of a container port in Timbaki. The Koreans are wandering why the Chinese dont want to invest any money in this project so it seems that they kindly asked a lot of questions ate a nice meal and told the Greeks that in case the project goes ahead they would like to participate in the construction. Bourdes again

Pam I hope to see u and Bob in Matala next year again. Santo is trying to organise a party. Thank you for your nice comments.

#77 Pam

Pam

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 12:15 PM

Ton, thanks - that's re-assuring news. Also, it'll be lovely to see you, Dinny and others from the Forum next year. I expect we'll be out there the last 2 weeks in May.

Pam & Bob

#78 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 03:45 PM

We are taking some action against the Chinese port construction in Timbaki.
Please go to the attached site and add your voice to ours.
Thank you all.

http://www.petitiono...e/petition.html

#79 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 03:56 PM

added mine Ton thanks.
;) ;)
Santo

#80 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 04:09 PM

Thank you Santo. Please inform all your friends who love Crete to also sign the petition.

http://www.petitiono...e/petition.html