285 replies to this topic

#41 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 12 March 2006 - 01:28 AM

The Chinese are making it clear now in writing that the Greek Government needs to pay for the project to build the port and then they will be interested in leasing it. In other words the Chinese dont want to pay for the construction of the project.
Slowly everybody realizes that Mr. kefalogiannis ambition to build a gigantic industrial port in south Crete is fainting slowly. The Greek ministry of Economy advised the Prime minister against such a project in South Crete since there are no transportation means of the goods via train or road to the north.
Mr. Kefalogiannis however is looking for private investors to support his idiotic project. I am wandering if he can find any. He was already told in the parliament that this project doesn't make sense and now with the Chinese saying that they would like the Greeks to pay... well how many stupid investors are out there?

#42 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:26 PM

Thank you, Ton! You've made my day!!! :-)

What a pity I don't read Greek, I would have loved to read the delicate politeness the Chinese normally use to tell somebody they are hopeless jerks!

I'll go have a look at the Komos Beach now to restraighten my view to reality, lately I've seen container ships passing every time I looked over the bay.

#43 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:58 PM

Well Dinny now the ball is with the Greek Government to think and reply to this infamous Chinese letter. The Greeks are famous for replying only to letters which money is coming into them and not going out of them. That's why the noumerous letters people are sending to the Greek government officials about garbage in the streets, pollution, healthcare, streets, etc. all remain unanswered. I am still waiting for one person to tell me that she/he wrote to a Greek official agency asking for something and received an answer. Maybe someone reading this can attest of the opposite? Anyhow my guess is that some calls (we all know by whom) will be made to convince the Chinese that they should not miss this golden/great opportunity and invest some money for this project in Tympaki. However in my view the Chinese polite letter clearly states that they are not prepared to invest a single Euro in Tymbaki, they will only rent the facilities for an unspecified period storing up to 1000000 containers. So now someone needs to calculate how much investment is required to build this facility and how long it will take to recooperate this cost. The funny part of this letter is that the Chinese politely ask for the Greeks to make sure that if are to build a port they must makesure that the buildings stand extraordirary earthquakes!! Hahahaha!!How much rent is going to come out from the Chinese? How many years it will take before breakeven? What if the Chinese get a better rental offer from the Italians? In other words there are too many questions and too big risk to launch this project.
So for the time being you may keep taking your nice walks down to Komos beach without the risk of seeing containers ships and polluted sand and waters.

#44 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 05:49 PM

Believe it or not there is information that the eyes of the Chinese, foreign and greek businessmen as well as few greek politicians are now focusing on Gavdopoula and Gavdos. Sorry the article is too long for me to translate from the Greek. For those who can read Greek here is the link.
The report says that the sharks had enough waiting for Tymbaki (blame the inaction of the government,beuracracy etc) and they would like to try their luck with Gavdopula. Americans are also interested in the area for some reason, (anybody could guess why) and one Greek's politician's relative is the big shot on the island.
Very interesting article. What's next?

http://www.2810.gr/i...8034d552d9d6a09

#45 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:54 PM

What about an airport in Anogia? Or F1 races in Lassithi plateau??
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#46 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 04:26 PM

Kefalogiannis is insisting to bring the Chinese in Tymbaki.

According to 'KATHIMERINI' Greek news paper from 17/03/06 Kefalogiannis would like to use favourable to Greece loans from the Euro Bank for investments up to 3 billion Euros to create his container harbour in Tymbaki.
Kefalogiannis however has said during his last trip in Moires and Tymbaki that the government will respect the wish of the people of the area. Therefore the people need to start collecting signatures and make some fuss against the Container project so Kefalogiannis finally backs off.

#47 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 07:59 PM

Although the use of solar technology in Greece has tripled in the last three years, an EU report, "Photovoltaics 2010," had indicated that Greece could use solar power to meet one-third of its energy requirements. A 50-MW solar power plant, the first grid-connected solar system of a considerable size, is planned for Crete and a 100-kilowatt PV park is planned for the island of Gavdos.

If you want to read the whole story go ahead here's the link: (this is no advert:P )
www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/cabs/greece.html
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#48 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 09:48 PM

Good to know this Kouros but what's got to do this with the chinese port in Tymbaki?
Anyhow the 50 MW solar park might be something but the 100 KW solar unit for Gavdos is a little bit small. But better this than an emission polluting engine/generator system. Thanks for the eia.doe site address.

#49 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 11:54 PM

Yeah you're right and so does the F1 racecourse in Lassithi, the airport in Anogia and you mentioned Gavdopoula which is just a hundred meters from Gavdos. :rolleyes:

I could have started a new topic but I think there are enough of them B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#50 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 05:14 PM

Yeah you're right and so does the F1 racecourse in Lassithi, the airport in Anogia and you mentioned Gavdopoula which is just a hundred meters from Gavdos. :rolleyes:

I could have started a new topic but I think there are enough of them B)

#51 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 05:29 PM

Thank you Ton, i enjoy reading about this political yoyo, however i am keeping my fingers crossed it goes no further than letters, although i have to admit i'm not sure if it would be a bad or good thing to have, perhaps during my visit dinny can update me on the local feeling !!!!
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#52 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 05:32 PM

The latest is that the Chinese are oficially now requesting from the Greeks to use the port of Pireaus in the first phase until the port in Tymbaki is complete if ever. The link from Naftoeboriki is below.

http://www.naftempor.../20/1167949.htm

#53 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 05:20 PM

Yannis where the heck did u get these news?

By Yannis Samatas

In an unexpected press release, the Minister of Mercantile Marine Mr. Manolis Kefaloyiannis, announced late last night that all the preliminary studies for the new port in the south of Crete have been completed in 4 months, a record time for a project that is going to cost more than 600 million Euro.

In the next month, Mr. Kefaloyiannis, together with a team of technical experts including the Prime Minister’s financial adviser, will travel to Beijing to finalise the agreement between Greek and the Chinese governments. The agreement will be signed later, probably during the visit of the Prime Minister of China, which is expected in late June.

#54 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 06:45 PM

Dear Ton,
I cannot reveal the exclusive sources of Crete Gazette, but have you read the whole article carefully??
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#55 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 09:55 PM

Am I missing something? According to your article Yannis there was a press release or not? and if there was one then surely must be public. It can't be that only the Grete Gazette knows about it or?
Anyhow it sounds serious or it may be (which I hope) hot gas until the local elections.

#56 Birgit

Birgit

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 10:40 PM

Am I missing something?

Ton,

Read the WHOLE article including the last lines ... and have have a look at the first line in the quote right here: What date it is today ...
:blink:

#57 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 11:43 PM

Hahahahahah! What a relief!!! Yannis u son of gun!! Very nice!! Very nice. Birgit your nice smile on the photo says it all. Thanks.
U guys...Hahahahah

#58 Hana

Hana

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 06:10 PM

I know how you feel, Ton ;), my heart skipped a beat when I read it, too, and I was getting so angry reading it that I nearly didn't finish till the end, wanted to rush off straigh here and get it off my chest - glad I waited! :P))))) Yannis's greek humor - nearly a heart attack for me, lover of Matala

#59 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 20 April 2006 - 10:47 AM

Roumours are now that the Government will now push the chinese port to go to Astakos (north of Peloponese- on the mainland)

#60 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 21 April 2006 - 10:38 AM

I am amazed how much money Greece throws down the drain for studies which they never materialise. Patris newspaper is reporting today that The Commercial bank of Greece is undertaking the task to perform a feasibility study for the port in Timbaki. It is interesting that nowhere in the article the words 'Chinese or China Shipping' are mentioned.

Instead of using the money wisely to fix the roads, pick up the garbage and improve the public toilets (don't mention the health facilities), they are throwing the money again for useless studies which have objectives other than the ones advertised.