285 replies to this topic

#281 Julie

Julie

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 10:33 PM

" Most people who visit the place see the tourist areas u mentioned above. I call them the screensavers of Athens."

Now now, there's no need to put me down - or to put down any visitor who enjoys and is moved by the ancient, incomparable monuments and beautiful parks you disparagingly call the "screensavers". I've seen a good deal of Athens that isn't on the tourist beat, but I don't pretend to "know" the city as those who live there do; and I'd like, and intend, to see more of it and know it better. I mentioned the Acropolis, Kerameikos, the Agora, the National Gardens, Lycabettos and the Areos Park and Plato's Academy in specific response to your claim that Athens lacks green space. It doesn't. There is plenty of green space. In that respect, perhaps I know and appreciate your city better than you do.

"I dont simply like what my city has become."

That is your loss. Your city is a great city, and it is still one of the safest cities, if not the safest, in Europe. Athens has a long way to go before catching up, crime-wise, with Chicago or New York. Or London, for that matter.

" I dont like to see container ships in the bay of Komos polluting the sea and the beach. It's as simple as that."

I don't either. I agree with you. I'm sure there are ways for Crete to survive and thrive other than by destroying its nature, heritage and beauty in the interests of profits for non-Cretans/Greeks.

#282 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 12:42 AM

<_< I am drinking a nice red wine from South Africa and I say cheers to all the members and readers of this Forum regardless their opinions on the Timbaki port or the city of Athens. :P B)

#283 Julie

Julie

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:27 AM

I'll drink to that, Ton. Yia mas. <_<

#284 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:38 AM

Ton save some of that in your wine cellar in the "Castle" for when I see you in May my friend <_<

:P B)
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#285 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:57 AM

Qui bene bibit
Bene dormiat

Qui bene dormiat
Non peccat

Qui non peccat
Beatus est.

<_<
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#286 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 02:18 AM

My friends,
while Ton is enjoying his wine and resting his fingers from typing most of the messages in this endless thread, it is time that this thread is closed before it creates problems to the function of the forum because of its size.
The thread will be continued in "Containerharbour in Timbaki, Part 2"
Yannis Samatas
webmaster