285 replies to this topic

#1 christa

christa

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 December 2005 - 11:20 PM

In the last time the rumor goes on that in the area of timbaki a big harbour for container-ships is planed. The investors should be coming from china and from komosbeach until agia galini the nature will be destroyed.

The Patris from 2.11.2005

*Το Τυμπάκι θα είναι οριστικά η περιοχή όπου θα γίνει το λιμάνι - μαμούθ που θέλουν οι Κινέζοι. Οι πληροφορίες της “Π” για σχεδόν κλεισμένη συμφωνία επιβεβαιώνονται από την απαντητική επιστολή του προέδρου της China Shipping Group Li kelin προς τον υπουργό Εμπορικής Ναυτιλίας κ. Κεφαλογιάννη.
“Μοιράζομαι την πίστη σας ότι το Τυμπάκι και όλα τα χαρακτηριστικά του είναι μια καλή περιοχή για διαμετακομιστικό κέντρο” αναφέρει ο πρόεδρος της κινέζικης εταιρείας. Ο οποίος και ουσιαστικά αποκαλύπτει ότι προϋπήρξαν συζητήσεις και κατ’ αρχήν συμφωνίες για το Τυμπάκι.
Ο χώρος του ανενεργού σήμερα αεροδρομίου μαζί με την όλη περιοχή είναι 8000 στρέμματα. Τα οποία ανήκουν στο Ελληνικό Δημόσιο (Αεροπορία) και πολύ ευκολότερα μπορούν να παραχωρηθούν για να προχωρήσει η επένδυση.
Παράλληλα πρόκειται για μια περιοχή - ταψί, έτοιμες δηλαδή... αποβάθρα και προβλήτες, ενώ υπάρχει και ο διάδρομος προσγείωσης.
Στην επιστολή του ο Κινέζος πρόεδρος πλέκει το εγκώμιο της Κρήτης λέγοντας ότι είναι η ιδανική επιλογή - λόγω της γεωγραφικής της θέσης - για να αναπτυχθεί ένα διαμετακομιστικό κέντρο για την ανατολική Μεσόγειο, τη Μαύρη Θάλασσα και την περιοχή γύρω από την Αδριατική.
Ο κ. Λ. Κελιν γράφει στον κ. Κεφαλογιάννη ότι θα πρέπει να συνεχιστούν οι συζητήσεις με αντιπροσωπεία του υπουργείου που θα μεταβεί στη Σαγκάη.
Τέλος, αναφέρεται με θερμά λόγια στη φιλοξενία της κυβέρνησης και των Κρητικών λέγοντας ότι ήταν το “highlight” του όλου ταξιδιού στην Ευρώπη.*

I don't know, how much is true. But are here any user from crete are knowing more??? The harbour shoud be bigger than the harbour of Piraeus. Premier Karamanlis will be on Crete on the 17. of December. Members of the chinese shipping company visited Crete in the last time...

So - hoping of getting answers

kind regards

Christa

#2 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 02:04 PM

Hi Christa,

I share your concern! It's an absolute disaster and I simply cannot understand that it will be allowed. But when big money is involved, who cares about the environment, the nature, tourism, the nice quiet life in South of Crete?

I think Yannis is looking into this and that we shall be able to learn more from the next Crete Gazette. But I'm sure Mr. Karamanlis will not find any demonstrations in the streets of Timbaki when he comes down to look at the area one last time before he decides to destroy it.

:(

#3 UffeS

UffeS

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 16 December 2005 - 07:48 PM

The area around Timbaki is large and it's a important agriculture area, so I kind of understand that there are huge interests in building a container harbour there. Also the coastline is very long with lots of nice sandy beaches. I don't think such a harbour would destroy all of that beautiful area. One has to remember here that tourism is a very important source for income in Greece and the government would not simply allow destroying too much of it just for a harbour. At least, this is what I hope! I'm sure Yannis will comment further on this issue cause I think he knows a lot more about the plans.

Uffe

#4 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 17 December 2005 - 03:06 PM

There will probably be an article about the investments in Tymbaki area in the January issue of the Crete Gazette. What I know is that the Chinese are very interested in this container port but there has been no final agreement yet, so everything can change later.
There will be reactions to these plans from environmental groups but we do not have enough information about the public opinion of the area regarding the port.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#5 Guest_Guest_Tony_*_*

Guest_Guest_Tony_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2006 - 06:35 PM

There will probably be an article about the investments in Tymbaki area in the January issue of the Crete Gazette. What I know is that the Chinese are very interested in this container port but there has been no final agreement yet, so everything can change later.
There will be reactions to these plans from environmental groups but we do not have enough information about the public opinion of the area regarding the port.

Many of the local people are not aware of this big port project which will put an end to the local tourism and the income most enjoy from it. People need to get organised and say a big fat Cretan NO to this monsterous project.

#6 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 09:40 PM

Many of the local people are not aware of this big port project which will put an end to the local tourism and the income most enjoy from it. People need to get organised and say a big fat Cretan NO to this monsterous project.

Well, Tony... I don't quite agree with you. Just today I discussed it with a friend of mine in Matala and he told me that they are having organised and regular meetings in Timbaki to discuss it. I asked him who was organising these meetings, but he said that "oh, they just call us whenever a meeting is up..." Inquiries have been sent to Athens, but - naturally - without receiving any answer.

But it's true that there is a lot of "not-really-knowing-what-it's-all-about". However, things are moving down here, so hopefully somebody will be able to put a foot down with a lot of noise!

Dinny

#7 Guest_Guest_Tony_*_*

Guest_Guest_Tony_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2006 - 11:51 AM

Well, Tony... I don't quite agree with you. Just today I discussed it with a friend of mine in Matala and he told me that they are having organised and regular meetings in Timbaki to discuss it. I asked him who was organising these meetings, but he said that "oh, they just call us whenever a meeting is up..." Inquiries have been sent to Athens, but - naturally - without receiving any answer.

But it's true that there is a lot of "not-really-knowing-what-it's-all-about". However, things are moving down here, so hopefully somebody will be able to put a foot down with a lot of noise!

Dinny

:( Dinny, Thanks for the info. I still think that the people who can really make some noise (and they are not aware of what is coming) are the ones who their business will be adversely affected by this port, especially when they see that their only source of income (unspoiled environment/tourism ) is now gone for ever. What will be left to offer in south Crete? Garbage in the streets? and now garbage coming from the sea from Chinese Cargo ships? People will think twice before setting a foot in this area again.

#8 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 12:55 PM

In fact, Tony, the friend who told me about the meetings is a bit worried. He has a house to rent out, and we had talked about some of my friends from Italy wanting to rent it. The other day I told him that maybe it was not such a good idea, because my friends would not want to stay near this awful harbour, and that anyway he should stop dreaming about asking big money for his house since its value is quickly decreasing. You should have seen his face! Well, I hoped I scared him into spreading the words with the other house-owners....

#9 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2006 - 04:04 PM

In fact, Tony, the friend who told me about the meetings is a bit worried. He has a house to rent out, and we had talked about some of my friends from Italy wanting to rent it. The other day I told him that maybe it was not such a good idea, because my friends would not want to stay near this awful harbour, and that anyway he should stop dreaming about asking big money for his house since its value is quickly decreasing. You should have seen his face! Well, I hoped I scared him into spreading the words with the other house-owners....

Dinny yea! What u did is exactly what needs to be done to alert the locals. All the foreign community which is planning to go to this area in Crete next year must FAX to the owners of the small hotels, homes and rooms for rental, that they will cancel their holiday if construction of this harbour will take place in Timbaki. When they see the cancellations coming then they might start bothering their local authorities to do something to prevent this monsterous project from becoming realized. :(

#10 Guest_A tourist_*

Guest_A tourist_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2006 - 09:44 PM

Hellow dear people,

This year in 2006, we will spend our holidays for the fifth time in Agia Galini! It's like heaven there!

And now, i read this news.... I hope they can stop this stupid plans en save the nature and the tourism.

But when the port comes...what will be destroyed?? Also the villages around Timbaki, like Agia Galini, Kokkinos Pirgos,.... ?

This is terrible!!

Please, somebody, stop it!

#11 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 05:29 PM

Hellow dear people,

This year in 2006, we will spend our holidays for the fifth time in Agia Galini! It's like heaven there!

And now, i read this news.... I hope they can stop this stupid plans en save the nature and the tourism.

But when the port comes...what will be destroyed?? Also the villages around Timbaki, like Agia Galini, Kokkinos Pirgos,.... ?

This is terrible!!
Please, somebody, stop it!

Nobody will stop it until everyone who is concerned does something!! Please write to your Hotel/house owner where you are staying at Aghia Galini and tell them about your concerns. Emphasize to them that you and your friends will stop coming to Aghia Galini if the Chinese port construction goes ahead. :(

#12 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 13 January 2006 - 10:48 AM

:( The latest from Patris newspaper article says that the prime Minister of Greece Mr. Karamanlis, will go to China on the 19th to sign some investment agreements with the Chinese. One of the subjects to discuss (and not stated clearly in the article above) and sign, is the monsterous port project of Timbaki which will destroy the beatifull landscape and peaceful life of the near as we know it.

#13 christa

christa

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 12:02 AM

Karamanlis was in Shanghai and has signed a contract for enlarging the harbours in Athen and Saloniki !!!

TO BHMA 22. 1. 106

Maybee there is another hope.... :-)))

Kind regards

Christa

Maybee someone can translate the article in english???

#14 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 08:57 AM

Christa is right. It looks like there has been an agreement for the expansion of the harbours of Piraeus and Thessaloniki but there is no mention for a new harbour in Tymbaki.
This doesn't mean that the project is abandoned though. Perhaps the expansion of the 2 major ports of Greece is just a test for further future co-operation and more investments.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#15 Ton

Ton

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 365 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 10:54 AM

Christa is right. It looks like there has been an agreement for the expansion of the harbours of Piraeus and Thessaloniki but there is no mention for a new harbour in Tymbaki.
This doesn't mean that the project is abandoned though. Perhaps the expansion of the 2 major ports of Greece is just a test for further future co-operation and more investments.

The latest roumors from Messara are that the waters in Tymbaki are too shallow for the huge containers. On the other side the port of Thessaloniki might be more attractive for the Chinese since it is already operable, will need less capital investment + it is closer to the Balcans.
However these r just roumors!!!

#16 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 01:05 AM

Sorry guys...but the English language press in Athens are reporting sources close to Costas Karamanlis as stating that whilst in China he pushed for new investment for the port of Thessaloniki and for a port in Crete. So maybe we should start bombarding the Greek Prime Minister with letters voicing our concerns. mention is also made of trying to woo the 22 million Chinese tourists who visit the EU each year to Greece, and of the possibility of direct flights from Greece to Beijing.
Now, lets' get our priorities right please Prime Minister Karamanlis.........before that lets' get some decent flights from Cardiff to Chania..please.................................
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#17 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 07:42 AM

Can anyone please give an address to Mr. Karamanlis' office (email or snail, telegraphic, anything...)???

Thanks! I can't find it myself... it's all Greek to me!!

#18 Nick

Nick

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 09:31 AM

The Chinese decided to bring 1 million containers to Piraeus harbour. Iraklion's harbour has not got all the demanding facilities for them.

Regarding Timpaki, they haven't mentioned anything.

#19 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 09:40 AM

Dinny,
I suppose this is what you are looking for: http://www.primemini.../en/contact.asp
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#20 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 03:23 PM

Thanks, Yannis! Always ready with the right info! :-)
I will now compose a long memo for mr. Karamanlis, highlighting views that might never have occurred to him. I'm SURE he will change his mind after that!