5 replies to this topic

#1 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:28 PM

Dear friends,

this is the place to discuss about Crete Gazette. I will be glad to hear your comments and suggestions.

Regards,

Yannis Samatas
administrator

#2 Yorgos

Yorgos

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:14 AM

Yanni,

I have looked only to last three editions and it is obvious that the paper is in its developmental stage, trying to find its direction. I am only a new reader of the paper, and not an expat living in Crete but a Cretan living far away from Crete, so my reading preferences would be different from those of the majority of the readers of this paper. Nevertheless, here is my contribution for whatever it is worth to you and the new management of the Gazette.

A paper needs to have regular columns, and the gazette has a few such as Gardening, Photo news, news in a nutshell, Taroscopes and Poets corner. It is a pity that the “on line” article disappeared, but it may have been the Christmas story influx that pushed it out of the way.

But some other regular columns that I believe that are needed, have occasionally appeared only in some editions and not as regulars. These are: Arts (including painting, music, theatre events taking place in Crete) a Cretan Food / Wine regular column, a Travel column covering the myriad of attractive locations that exist in Crete (needs to stay in Crete only) and may be a Cretan history column, covering those many great historical events that have taken place on the island that make Crete what it is. And an other one which may not be regular but should appear whenever there is suitable material is one providing reviews of books about Crete or Greece only. I am suggesting restricting all those columns to Crete, and may be Greece if appropriate, as those topics on an international scale are well covered by many other publications.

It may be that my list is quite challenging for you Yannis, but unless one is challenged, how would one raise to the occasion? And it may be that we as readers that we could also contribute to those columns with our own experiences that may be of interest to other readers.

Regards and good luck

#3 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 11:35 AM

Yorgo,
thank you for your suggestions. I find them correct and they agree with my ideas about the Crete Gazette.
Unfortunately there will be more columns missing in the next issue because some of the columnists decided that they did not want to continue.
However, the arts events will probably become a steady column. There will also be a travel article in every issue.
We also work on having a Music article that will present one music CD with Cretan music every month.
The book reviews is an excellent idea but we haven't found the person who will do that yet. Do you volunteer? I like the way you write and I am sure you love Crete a lot, so why not?
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#4 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 07:57 PM

I am no Marketing expert but I suppose the answer lies in understanding who the current readership is made up of and seeing if it reflects your target audience - perhaps a questionnaire would help you to gain a better picture. I can imagine that a reader would want differing information depending on their current understanding of life in Crete.

As someone who is still a relative novice I like learning more about history and customs and if I am planning a trip I would be very interested to know about forthcoming events - I have been very frustrated to be leaving Crete the week before an event in Agios Nikolaos that with prior knowledge I could have ensured I enjoyed the experience.

If I were living full time in Crete I think I would be more interested in current events and those that would affect future development - for example I found the article about the Mayor of Hersonnisos very enlightening (and heartening).

Whilst I am in the UK the internet version suits me fine and I could always print out a specific article if I wanted; but in Crete where I don't have the same internet access I would love to know how/when/where to buy a paper copy.

The most important thing is to ensure it has a different but complimentary voice to our favourite website.

Yvonne
Kritsa Yvonne

#5 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 14 December 2005 - 12:18 AM

Yvonne,
thanks for your suggestions.
There is a serious problem with announcing forthcoming events. In most cases the press releases are sent only a couple of days before the event. For a monthly newspaper this is not practical at all.
As for printing, this is more likely to happen after the first 2-3 months, when we will feel more secure with the demands of the newspaper. An important consideration in this case is whether the online version should be updated at the same time the printed version will go out. Usually it doesn't happen like this because it is not good for sales. Anyway, there is still enough time before we are ready to print the Crete Gazette so let's take one step at a time.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#6 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 10:20 PM

Yannis
I am not sure what happened to my first comments about the January issue, I must have over edited them right off the page! But seeing the February edition, my first views are reinforced - an excellent publication, full of a wide range of interesting material. It will surely be a great test of your knowledge and skill to keep this level of professionalism up. Brillant publication - and thank you - yet again for giving us such interesting material.
Tim