#1 aarond

aarond

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 11:09 PM

Hi all,

As you all have the best knowledge of this beautiful Island I want to be a knowledge leach!! Once again!!!

I think I fancy Rethymno for our honeymoon. It looks beautiful, with nice harbour, lovely beaches, nice restaurants and bars with a good selection of hotels.

What I would love is to hear real reviews on hotels / accom in this area. I am hoping to stay within 2-2.5km (2miles) of the town centre. We will hire a car and explore but at night want to have much fun with my beautiful wife!!!!

I want suggestions!! I normally prefer smaller accom, but want affordable high class accom!! Please give me your reviews and opinion for 27/26 year old in Rethymno !!

Aaron

[email protected]

*** We have looked at the hotel Pearl Beach Hotel, Theartemis Palace Hotel, Palazzo Rimondi Aparthotel - has anyone got any views??

#2 aarond

aarond

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 November 2005 - 02:00 PM

Hi all,

As you all have the best knowledge of this beautiful Island I want to be a knowledge leach!! Once again!!!

I think I fancy Rethymno for our honeymoon. It looks beautiful, with nice harbour, lovely beaches, nice restaurants and bars with a good selection of hotels.

What I would love is to hear real reviews on hotels / accom in this area. I am hoping to stay within 2-2.5km (2miles) of the town centre. We will hire a car and explore but at night want to have much fun with my beautiful wife!!!!

I want suggestions!! I normally prefer smaller accom, but want affordable high class accom!! Please give me your reviews and opinion for 27/26 year old in Rethymno !!

Aaron

[email protected]
*** We have looked at the hotel Pearl Beach Hotel, Theartemis Palace Hotel, Palazzo Rimondi Aparthotel - has anyone got any views??

OH! I've been reading that it is slightly 'tacky' and very 'false' place on another website!
I thought it looked lovely but app it's very 'unGreek'

#3 Guest_Robbo_*

Guest_Robbo_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2005 - 05:58 PM

I heard bad news that Rethymno has become really really expensive - ie €7 a beer?

If this is true, it is a scandal!!!!!!

Can anyone back / deny this news I heard?

Robbo

#4 Anne

Anne

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 11:36 AM

Rethymno, like many other areas of Crete since the introduction of the euro, has become more expensive not only to visit as a tourist but to live here as well. A large beer in a bar/restaurant will cost from 3 to 4 euro. I have never paid 7 euro for a beer and the only place that I can think of that would get away with charging that amount is a nightclub or bouzouki bar with live music.

Aaron - I dont know what website has those remarks but Rethymno has a lovely Old Town with restaurants, bars, cafes, meze shops(restaurants serving lots of small dishes) and shops with traditional produce. Personally I find it very Greek.

Anne

#5 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2005 - 02:01 PM

€3-4 is pricy enough, I would pass out if the price was €7! That's more expensive than London!!!
I know the staff don't get paid that sort of cash so would be dissappointed to feed a greedy owner!

We went to Zante this year and the prices were quite fair. €1.50-3 a large beer. €3.50 for a vodka and mixer. €3-4 cocktails and food so reasonable - €5-7 for mains!!

I hope Crete doesn't let me down........it would really dissappoint me as Zante was fab and Crete looks even better......

What sort of prices have people been paying?

Aaron

#6 Guest_Robbo_*

Guest_Robbo_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2005 - 02:04 PM

I heard that average price for beer was about €4-€5 in pubs......

#7 Anne

Anne

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 12:57 PM

Robbo

Where are you 'hearing' this and what do you mean by a pub. In Rethymno we dont really have pubs (unless you count the Irish pub) there are mostly cafes and clubs and as far as I know what I said above is the average price for a beer/drink in a cafe.

In tavernas, you can pay as low as 1.50 for a big beer because these places serve food. Some tavernas will have special menus for two people - Greek Salad, 2 Main dishes and house wine for as little as 15 euro.

Anne

#8 UffeS

UffeS

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 05:58 PM

Hi,

Yannis, our webmaster here, has been very kind and put together a good price list of most common products and services on Crete.

You find the list here

(just click on the line above) :rolleyes:

Uffe

#9 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 08:04 PM

Hi Uffe,

The prices which Yannis has put together are from June 2004 though... it would be really interesting to see an update with actual prices, but I'm afraid Yannis won't have much time for that.... maybe I should volunteer?

:rolleyes:

#10 UffeS

UffeS

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 08:26 PM

Hi Dinny,

Yes, I know those prices are from last year, should have mentioned it in my earlier reply. Most likely the prices have increased a bit.
Very kind if you could volunteer updating those prices! I'm sure Yannis doesn't have anything against it cause I think he's busy with lots of other duties. An update would help a lot cause this price discussion topic often comes up here :rolleyes:

Uffe

#11 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2005 - 01:11 AM

No one else ever been to Rethymno????????????

No one fancy offering advice???

I thought Crete and people who visted were so friendly?

Zante people gave me loads of advice!

Aaron

#12 kymbogs

kymbogs

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 06:04 PM

No one else ever been to Rethymno????????????

No one fancy offering advice???

I thought Crete and people who visted were so friendly?

Zante people gave me loads of advice!

Aaron

Aaron you sneaky monkey I know you from the Zante messageboard! :(

#13 aarond

aarond

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 10:45 PM

Aaron you sneaky monkey I know you from the Zante messageboard! :P

I am!!!! I am going to Crete this year for our Honeymoon then back to Zante the year after!!

We are doing it independantly, one week in Rethymno and one week in Chania town with plenty of driving around and having a noisy!!!

Are you going to Zante this year?

What do you think of Crete?

Aaron :blink:

#14 emily

emily

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 January 2006 - 12:49 AM

Hi Aaron,

Here is my advice, for what its worth. Been to Rethymnon but it was a few years ago. It is a beautiful town with a lovely harbour and some fantastic tavernas, restaurants and bars. Also clubs if you like them. Never really bothered with them, never been my scene! Prices were very reasonable when I was in Crete last June. We stayed near Hersonissos in a village called Koutouloufari. That was beautiful too! Meals and drinks were very cheap compared to this country. Beer ranged from 2 - 5 euros depending if it was a bar or restaurant/taverna. Most nights my friend and I ate a 2 course meal with wine for about 15 - 20 euros each, sometimes cheaper. I found that a lot of the local dishes were the cheapest (and nicest) I would wholeheartedly recommend crete. The island is beautiful and on the occasions I have been there the people very friendly! Going back to Koutoulofari next year with the purpose of not acting too much like a tourist and trying to expereince the real side of the culture and the island.. If anyone has any tips for me on how to do this would appreciate it very much

Emma x

#15 kymbogs

kymbogs

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 12:57 AM

I am!!!! I am going to Crete this year for our Honeymoon then back to Zante the year after!!

We are doing it independantly, one week in Rethymno and one week in Chania town with plenty of driving around and having a noisy!!!

Are you going to Zante this year?

What do you think of Crete?

Aaron :blink:

I've never been to Crete Aaron, this is going to be my first time, as last year was my first time to Zante. I hope to return to Zante many a time in the future but want to try a few more places yet, I'm still young!