Gay Places On Crete,

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_cj_*

Guest_cj_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 November 2005 - 11:56 AM

:unsure: [b] Hi to all , First of all let me start by saying that im a gay male that as lived on crete for over a year now & am getting fed up with people keep saying that there are no gay places to go if you are gay & wish to visit this fantastic island , Please if you are not gay & do not know about being gay , Dont say anything, Crete is a fantastic place to live & visit , There is gay only acomaddation, Gay/nude beaches And as from now there is a new gay only bar/club , And lots of gay people that live & visit crete, So please visit & enjoy crete, If you wish to know more about were to stay e.t Please email me at
cjcrete@hotmail.com,

Thank you for you understanding , And lets lern to be happy,

C,J

#2 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 12:36 PM

CJ,
if you have information that we ignore because we are not "experts" on the field, then it would be better if you published them here so that everyone interested in the subject can read them.
Asking people to email you to find out what they want, is not the best approach for everyone. Since this is a free country and gay people have the right to live free and enjoy the island, then what is all this secrecy about?
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#3 Guest_cj_*

Guest_cj_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2005 - 10:15 AM

CJ,
if you have information that we ignore because we are not "experts" on the field, then it would be better if you published them here so that everyone interested in the subject can read them.
Asking people to email you to find out what they want, is not the best approach for everyone. Since this is a free country and gay people have the right to live free and enjoy the island, then what is all this secrecy about?

Hi Yannis,
The problem with being gay on crete is that the gay greek males feel that its rong to be open & gay ! I agree that its a free country ? But if you are greek its not that simple as im sure you know being a greek yourself , Crete is as you say a fantastic place to live & visit , That is why im trying to help people find out that crete as a big gay community that will make you all welcome ! But still intill the greeks are honest with them selfs gay visitures to the island find it hard to find out information that is up to date ! And greeks also may not wish to reply to your site because of the missunderstanding around them ! That is why if thay wish thay can email me in privet ! And i agree that there shouid be no secrecy, But intill the greeks let the greek gay community be happy & free to do what thay wish it will always be a problem if you are a gay greek man liveing on crete ! c.j

#4 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2005 - 07:21 PM

hi iv been to hersonissos loads in crete and there seems to be loads of gay greeks?????????????well they all seem to like my dad anyway hahaha

#5 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 05:14 AM

Yeah :rolleyes:

I have encountered, beeing a tourist in this forum, a lot of people writing in it who come to Crete to come. :)

They even seem to have the domineering attitude to provoke people to come out of the closet, and if they don't they are seemingly beeing accused of beeing a coward.

Ever thought of having it off in your own community back home and go to Crete to enjoy the cultural inheritance and natural beauty of the island, enrich yourself with the simplicity and straight forwardness of the people, their hospitality and lust for live instead of beeing one track minded :rolleyes: ?

Yeah :rolleyes:

I have encountered, beeing a tourist in this forum, a lot of people writing in it who come to Crete to come. :rolleyes:

They even seem to have the domineering attitude to provoke people to come out of the closet, and if they don't they are seemingly beeing accused of beeing a coward.

Ever thought of having it off in your own community back home and enjoy the cultural inheritance and natural beauty of the island, enrich yourself with the simplicity and straight forwardness of the people, their hospitality and lust for live instead of beeing one track minded :rolleyes: ?
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#6 Erik

Erik

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 12:54 PM

We've launched a new website for the gay community of Crete. Join up with www.gaycrete.gr for chat, dating, events and more !! <_<

Attached Files

#7 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 08:03 PM

CJ

Please excuse my ignorance but can you explain what a "gay beach" is and looks like? I know that there are "childrens beaches" which usually have swings, sledes etc. but how is a "gay beach" different from all the other beaches? I assume that they do not have a sign on them. I ask as some members of this forum may be interested in knowing whether a certain beach is "gay" or not.

For many years the gay community has complained of being discriminated against. In recent years this has changed and in the UK (I don't know about Greece) it is now illegal to discriminate againt gays. I was therefore a little dismayed to read in your first post "from now there is a new gay only bar/club". Is this not discriminating against the "straights"? I was under the impression that all people, of whatever their sexual orientation, were now equal.

Lastly, you ask for understanding, and I am trying to understand, but I cannot find any difference between a "normal" bar and a "gay" bar. I have been in both types, they seem to be the same to me. Can you enlighten me?

John
Cornwall - Great at any time of the year.

#8 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 04:17 PM

Yes and me too?

I have nothing to add to Johns contribution except for this. :)

Taking in to consideration that all men are equal there is no need for places and or beaches for gays to amuse themselves. In general one can say that gays assimilate well and do find themselves "equal".
I think, however, that you mean the "nieces" () when you talk about gays.

And than you're right; they certainly need a bar and beach for their own since these are the "one track minded extravert gays" who, like their "straight" counterparts (the one track minded machos), share this euphemism (). (Un)luckily though the last group finds their bars and beaches all over Crete. There seems to be an endless supply of these kind of holiday makers.

So, this might lead to the conclusion that if men are equal than they need to be provided equally :D
A niche for the nieces <_<

B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#9 kris from canada

kris from canada

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 03:55 PM

Perhaps I can add some clarification for John and Wim

I am a single gay man travelling with my friends, a lesbian couple in Greece. We are having a wonderful time, and have made a point of taking in as much of the culture as possible. However, we would like to have an evening or two at a gay bar to meet gay locals, and to relax in an atmosphere where we can be ourselves.

And what does that mean? That means being able to give an admiring glance at an attractive man (or woman, for my friends) without being called a fag and having my face punched in. It means meeting with other people who have commonalities in their backgrounds that make conversation easier, the same way people with an English or Greek backgrounds like to go to English Pubs or Greek Tavernas in other countries to meet with people with similar backgrounds. And yes, perhaps as a single man I might have a brief summer romance. Or I might meet someone from Canada that could grow into something else...

Wim, I find it interesting that you wax poetic about Mary-Yo and Mimmie wanting to have Greek men stare at their bosoms, but if a gay man is looking for the same attention, they just want to "snog"

#10 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 09:51 PM

Kris,

Thank you so much for such a comprehensive reply.

If I understand correctly then, there is no difference between a gay bar and a normal bar or a gay beach and normal beach. It is only the clientele or users who are different and, perhaps, their reason for visiting a certain place. Most people visit a beach to swim, sunbathe or just relax. I am not averse to admiring nubiles in bikinis, and often do, but even in my wildest youth I did not go to a beach to pick up girls. This was done, very successfully, in dance halls or discos. OK times have changed, and I accept that, but is a beach the best and most suitable place to "pull"?

Personally, I have to disagree with your comment "the same way people with an English or Greek backgrounds like to go to English Pubs or Greek Tavernas in other countries to meet with people with similar backgrounds". I much prefer to meet people from different backgrounds, they are more interesting, and I refuse to accept that I must be friends with someone just because they are English, but then I am not looking for romance and others may feel differently.

I do understand that it is difficult to be gay in Crete. Over 90% of Greeks go to church regularly and the Greek Orthodox Church preaches against homosexuality so you will not find many Greeks who are openly gay. If you want a "sexual holiday" you have probably come to the wrong place! Having said that I am pleased that you and your friends are having a good time and enjoying what Crete has to offer.

Kris, you live in a beautiful country, (my brother lives on Vancouver Island) give my regards to a wonderfull place.

John
Cornwall - Great at any time of the year.

#11 kris from canada

kris from canada

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 10:04 PM

John,

thanks for your reply - and yes I agree with you, the beach is not a place to pull... the bars are a different matter <_<

People who are more accepting, and respect the differences in people often find it hard to realize the problems that a wayward glance at a bar, or beach for that matter can cause, especially in a land like Greece where there is a strong religious stand against homosexuality- the gay beaches and bars just provide a sense security.

I am from Vancouver,and yes we have a beautiful country, but I have been overwhelmed by the friendliness and history of Greece! It is truly a dream come true to experience the history of civilization firsthand. I work as an interior designer and have spent hours marvelling at the accomplishments of the early Greek civilizations. I'm sure it will influence my work for years to come.

#12 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 03 October 2007 - 12:47 AM

K of C,

You didn't dig my "ironic" reply at all. What a pity. I found it rather hilarious <_<

As for Mary-Yo and Mimmie, what fun you read my blog, they didn't because they wanted not to have the man stare at them. You seem to muddle the human's natural instinct for nudity with the negative connatation of lust.

B)