11 replies to this topic

#1 Dionysius

Dionysius

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 November 2005 - 10:09 PM

I dont know whether anyone can help, and I certainly dont want to start a rumour - but a website is stating that a large oil depot is to be built near Kokkino Horio at the end of the road by the military place. Theimplication is that there will be a stream of tankers to and from, going through Plaak and Almerida, and obviously a risk of sea pollution from the sea tankers at the new docks around the corner from Almerida Bay. Does anyone know what is happening here please?
D

#2 comstat

comstat

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 12:31 AM

What's the website link? If you don't want to publish it in the thread, plz could you PM it to me?

#3 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 08:19 AM

It is true. There have been reactions from the ecological teams of Crete but it looks like the project is going to proceed.
I must say though that the experience from a similar oil depot east of Heraklion is that pollution has not increased due to the tankers.
The main problem is that such a depot wouldn't look nice in a tourist area.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#4 Dionysius

Dionysius

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:18 PM

The web addy is

http://www.livingint...crete/crete.htm

and there was also some chat on

http://www.interkrit.../f2.cgi?01/3795

yannis_s seems to think this is true, but I've now heard that it will be done at Souda, and then heard that it will be near Kalives.

All seems to be rumour, but could really do with some facts.

Any idea how to find out? My Greek skills are not much beyond the restaurant, so calling the Municipality of Vamos or Chania would be beyond me.

Ideas anyone? Or Documented Facts anywhere? Apparently there was a meeting at KH, but no one was informed, so was poorly attended!

#5 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 10:32 PM

I'm off to Kalyves in a week or so and will make enquiries there, if we don't hear anything more in the forum.
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#6 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 11:38 PM

The owner of the oil company was on TV explaining how harmless everything will be for the environment and how the people of Chania will benefit from it.
I guess this means that it is true enough. Perhaps the reactions will manage to cancel the project but it doesn't look like rumour to me.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#7 Angela

Angela

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 03:15 AM

Well.... I think thats sad, though I'm sure it will be good for the local economy and citizens who will benefit from jobs, it still cannot be a good thing for the environment. Lets just hope there won't be any spills!

Funny thing is, that the president of the oil company will of course say that it won't be bad for the environment and only positive things about his own venture... no president of a company is truthful about things like that. Unfortunatly, the mentality today (espeically here in the US) is anything that is good for business is good, and anything thats not.... well thats not going to happen (global warming, and cutting emissions, etc). We can just all take the mindset that hey, when the skata hits the fan we'll all be dead, and it'll be someone elses problem.

#8 Dionysius

Dionysius

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 10:26 AM

Hi Yannis
When was he on TV? Was it recent do you remember, and was he talking in general terme sof a location near Chania, or actually to the location at Kokkino Horio / Plaka? Any information would be much appreciated!

Also, have there been any previous posts here about this, or the meeting that was held with no one being told - I would have thought that it may have been of interest?

Thanks

#9 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 02:32 PM

That interview was about 20 days ago and a specific location was mentioned in the bay of Souda. I don't remember if that location was Plaka or Kokkino Horio but both these places are considered to be in the bay of Souda.
If you can read Greek, then there is an article about it on www.ecocrete.gr
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#10 Dionysius

Dionysius

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 09:04 PM

Thanks Yannis,
What date please, if I have the date I know which bit to try to translate. There is a website which helps www.faganfinder.com, but I need to know which bit to feed in
Dionysius

#11 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 09:35 AM

The article is here http://www.ecocrete....sk=view&id=1853 but it doesn't give much info.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#12 Guest_Carolina_*

Guest_Carolina_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2005 - 03:43 PM

The position of the proposed oil depot is signed on the National Road by a large white protest banner, on the left hand side of the road heading out of Chania towards Rethymnon, 200 meters after the second Souda turn off.

In Kokkino Horio the possible problem is something else - there is a proposed large brickworks factory in the area, which would involve trucks trundling up and down through Almerida, Plaka and Kokkino Horio.

Sounds like someone got their wires a little crossed, but both of these proposals are in the offing.