12 replies to this topic

#1 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 05:10 PM

In my ignorance I had always thought that the Cretan flag was that of Greece, but on a holiday brochure that I received this weekend Crete has a different flag flyng over her.
The flag is divided into four quarters by a white cross (as in the top left of the Greek flag), the background in three of these quarters is blue whilst the top left quarter has a white five pointed star on a red background. Any ideas? I have looked through several sites that list flags but haven't been able to find anything that even closely resembles this. I know that in Wales we have a couple of extra flags that are now considered appropriate i.e Glydwr's Standard and the flag of St David. Is this Cretan flag of a similar nature? ;)
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#2 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 05:42 PM

David,
that is probably a very old flag, perhaps before Crete joined Greece.
Today there is only one flag for the entire Greek nation.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#3 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 07:32 PM

Thanks Yannis,
I think that I'll e-mail the travel company and ask them if they know something we don't. I'll let you know the answer.
Dave

#4 MAVROLIO

MAVROLIO

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 10:25 PM

Posted Image

i found this flag on the website of sfakia.
8A PERASEI KAI AYTO

#5 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 11:12 PM

Well done Mavrolio.
Thanks. Now, what is this flag ? Is it the old Cretan flag or that of Sfakia? I think I'd better visit some more web sites............................
DaveW

#6 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 11:31 PM

Thanks to you both for the replies, they were most helpful and the mystery is now solved........
The Sfakia web site you refer to Mavrolio gives quite a detailed history of the flag and many thanks to Stelios Jackson of the Hellenic Bookservice UK for writing the article about it.
Stelios explains that the flag was the Flag of Independent Crete between 1898 and 1913. It wasn't liked by the Muslims( living in Crete at that time) as it reminded them that they were a minority..by the star in one quarter of the flag... and it wasn't liked by the Christians as it reminded them of the Ottoman Empire.
Stelios also states that Cretans 'don't like to be reminded of the flag and who can blame them?'
I think maybe this travel company have dropped the proverbial clanger................................

#7 MAVROLIO

MAVROLIO

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 11:01 PM

Posted Image

i found this flag on the website of sfakia.

thank you! you made me feel special dave!
no one ever says well done anymore.

oops. i didnt mean to post the pic again. sorry.
8A PERASEI KAI AYTO

#8 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 12:56 AM

Good morning, Mavrolio, I think !!!
I've got another mystery for you later but I'll have to dig out some paperwork in the coming week to get my facts right. I think it concerns the time that the flag would have been in use, or just before, and involves Polish soldiers who are buried in a small graveyard in Rethymnon. There, that has wet your appetite hasn't it ? Talk to you again soon and sorry that you are up when we are sleeping and vice versa. I agree with you that it is nice to be thanked and appreciated now and again. Perhaps it is because we all rush around and are too involved in our own little worlds to stop and take a small moment to say 'Thanks' now and again.

#9 Wally

Wally

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 18 August 2007 - 03:32 PM

I have found that flag in small (really small) village tavern in Armenohori near Topolia, if I well remember.

The tavern owner was so surprised that somebody has recognized it.

He said it happened to him for the first time.

Posted Image

#10 lars

lars

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 10:59 AM

I have found this info on the old flag:

On November 26, 1898, largely at the suggestion of Russia, the powers having scoured Europe for a Cretan governor acceptable to all, invited Prince George of Greece to be high commissioner of the powers in Crete for three years. He accepted, the blockade was soon raised, and December 21, 1898, he landed on the island. The admirals having handed over the government to him, requested their own recall, and only a few foreign troops and the stationeries remained. The Cretan flag was raised. Tranquillity followed, but Moslems departed in great numbers, the 4900 census showing them only about one-ninth of the population, as against about one-third in 1881.

The Cretan flag was first used in 1898 when Crete gained autonomy. It is a conversion of the Greek 'land' flag. The blue represents the sky and the sea. White represents the sea foam and the clouds. Red represents the blood that was spilled in the countless revolutions, the cross represents the Christian majority, and the star represents the Muslim minority.
??????
???????? ?????? ????????? ??????

#11 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 11:12 PM

Wally,
I wonder where he got the flag from? It doesn't look that old and I'd be surprised if it was from 1890......... :rolleyes:

#12 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 12:08 PM

Raising this flag outside of a taverna is a sad case of Cretan nationalism. There is a small number of fanatics in Crete who believe that Crete should separate from Greece and become independent. They seem to forget the unity of the Greek nation during the thousands of years of its history. Besides this flag was used during a period that Crete was still under the Ottoman rule, that's why there is the star in the upper left corner of the flag. It emphasizes the fact that the Ottomans were still the rulers of Crete.
It is ridiculous when a flag which used to be a symbol of non-independence, is today becoming the emblem of the Cretan nationalists, who dream of an independent Crete. It simply shows their ignorance of the history of Crete and the Greek nation.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#13 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 04:05 PM

Whilst agreeing with all that Yannis said about nationalism, may I add that I have heard from one or two older gents that they are Cretans first, and Greeks second. But do rest assured that they certainly do consider themselves to be 100% Greeks!