Bad 5* Hotel

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Jeffrey_*

Guest_Jeffrey_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2005 - 05:12 PM

I had a wonderful holiday in Crete but stayed two nights in a really bad hotel. It was EOT 5* certified so I would like to know if there is any official place I can report this to ? It seems to easy to just have 5* and not keep any kind of standard. So unless unhappy guests point this out, how is the tourist board to know standards are not being kept.

I did send an email about this to greektravel in crete but they never even bothered answering me. I cannot seem to find any other official site so though you might be able to help.

cheers,
Jeffrey

#2 Brook

Brook

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:04 PM

What was the name and location of the hotel?

#3 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:42 PM

What was the name and location of the hotel?

Sorry, I forgot to mention that. Some one might want to know on the forum. It was the DELETED BY ADMIN in agio palagio and had only palace as a name.

It sure looks pretty on the internet site though.......... and for a couple of hours we enjoyed it as well till things started going wrong.

#4 Yorgos

Yorgos

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 03:51 AM

Just checked their web site, looks OK but the 5 Star classification is misleading! And the charge at 29-33 euros a night only should have indicated to you that this is the case! I am not sure what your problems were but this price puts it in my “cheaper end” accommodation category and not an international 5 star category which in Greece would have been Deluxe category at over 200 euros!

Unless things changed very recently Greece has a codified Hotel classification system starting from Deluxe and going down from A to E category. A hotel in category B in Chania that I use, that is 3rd category down from deluxe, charges me about 65 euros. So at half this at your hotel, I would put it down to Category C, and not much more.

I feel sorry for your experience but some hoteliers get carried away with their promotional efforts. I have even seen a 7 star hotel advertised in Greece, very nice but officially only category A. So, complaining to authorities about a classification system that does not exist would not produce anything. Complain to your travel agent for misleading you instead.

#5 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2005 - 09:29 AM

Just checked their web site, looks OK but the 5 Star classification is misleading! And the charge at 29-33 euros a night only should have indicated to you that this is the case! I am not sure what your problems were but this price puts it in my “cheaper end” accommodation category and not an international 5 star category which in Greece would have been Deluxe category at over 200 euros!

Unless things changed very recently Greece has a codified Hotel classification system starting from Deluxe and going down from A to E category. A hotel in category B in Chania that I use, that is 3rd category down from deluxe, charges me about 65 euros. So at half this at your hotel, I would put it down to Category C, and not much more.

I feel sorry for your experience but some hoteliers get carried away with their promotional efforts. I have even seen a 7 star hotel advertised in Greece, very nice but officially only category A. So, complaining to authorities about a classification system that does not exist would not produce anything. Complain to your travel agent for misleading you instead.

We did pay more than the price advertised, as this was a price for the winter months only. I wasn't expecting an international 5* hotel either, but this one would not even be 3* in my opinion........They did have the 5* symbol at their hotel and pretended to be certified for this. Who gives these categories and where can you check what they really are for a hotel. You say there is an official category. Who gives these and how do you find them ???

I booked myself so no one to complain to, vbg.

I also stayed in a class A hotel in Chania for 45 euros a night, but that at least didn't try and pretend it had stars. Though we did not even get hot water for a shower which I expected as a minimum.

Thanks for replying to my email.

cheers,
Jeff

#6 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 09:59 AM

Jeff who has published all these negative comments about Scala Hotel should at least have the courage to register, so that he has some kind of identity. Negative or positive comments from unregistered users about any kind of business in Crete should not be taken seriously. It is so easy for anyone to say anything he wants when he is totally anonymous.
ExploreCrete offers its visitors the option of writing reviews about any kind of business in Crete. Every review, positive or negative will be published as long as it comes from an existing email address.
If Jeff or anybody else wants to write a review about a hotel, restaurant or any other kind of business in Crete, then he/she should register first and then submit his/her review at the Reviews sub-forum:
http://www.explorecr...php?showforum=7
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#7 Guest_earlcrazy_*

Guest_earlcrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2005 - 01:54 AM

you should be very careful about libel on your site

you now have at least two threads which could get you in court

as the owner of the site it would be you that would be in court, NOT the poster

#8 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 11:06 AM

you should be very careful about libel on your site

you now have at least two threads which could get you in court

as the owner of the site it would be you that would be in court, NOT the poster

Hm, we DO have freedom of speech in this country, and it has never been a crime to make reviews on business activities. Yannis has in fact invited the writer to register and post his review in the right place, and if you have read the guidelines about the reviews you would have noticed that they are subject to approval before being posted.

So what's YOUR problem with that? ;)

That being said, Jeffrey actually - at first - only asked for advise on WHERE to report a bad quality hotel. We have no answer to that so far.

#9 senanb

senanb

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 03:10 PM

I am curious to know if jeffery actually approached the owner or the manager of the hotel
and if he did what was the result of this meeting.
Sometimes it's often a lot better to approach people when you are there in person,rather
than sending an e mail when you return home. also as a last resort, a call to the tourist police
may have been of some use.

senan.

#10 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 05:45 PM

GNTO (Greek National Tourism Organisation, EOT in greek) is supposed to handle complaints like the above but don't bother to email them as they will never answer.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#11 Guest_Guest_johnny.dee_*_*

Guest_Guest_johnny.dee_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2005 - 09:24 PM

failing that why not put a comment in ""holidaysuncovered.co.uk" It covers tourist holiday spots all over the world. loads of comments for tourists to put their observations and comments for others to browse.

#12 Guest_earlcrazy_*

Guest_earlcrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2005 - 12:55 AM

Hm, we DO have freedom of speech in this country, and it has never been a crime to make reviews on business activities. Yannis has in fact invited the writer to register and post his review in the right place, and if you have read the guidelines about the reviews you would have noticed that they are subject to approval before being posted.

So what's YOUR problem with that? ;)

That being said, Jeffrey actually - at first - only asked for advise on WHERE to report a bad quality hotel. We have no answer to that so far.

No it's not a crime to review a business activity

now..imagine you are running a nice little business like a car hire firm or a hotel and a rival decides to mess up your business by posting lies on every internet tourist site he can... , then the webmaster allows it to stay on his site

now where does your 'freedom of speech' end and libel start?

of course it wouldn't be you in court, it would be the webmaster :( and all your forum rules and registations would mean nothing in court

funny how some people re-act to help isn't it

#13 Tinks

Tinks

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 31 October 2005 - 10:10 AM

You still seem to miss the point that Jeffrey was only asking the forum where he could report such a hotel.

Most forums are covered by disclaimers such as the example below:

"This forum accepts no responsibility for the opinions and information posted by members. Discussion contents reflect the views of members only. This forum and their representatives bear no responsibility for accuracy of participant comments and will bear no legal liability for discussion results."
Curiouser and curiouser.....

#14 Guest_earlcrazy_*

Guest_earlcrazy_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2005 - 12:18 PM

You still seem to miss the point that Jeffrey was only asking the forum where he could report such a hotel.

Most forums are covered by disclaimers such as the example below:

"This forum accepts no responsibility for the opinions and information posted by members. Discussion contents reflect the views of members only. This forum and their representatives bear no responsibility for accuracy of participant comments and will bear no legal liability for discussion results."

I am not missing any point what so ever

Do you think that disclaimer would take precedence over the national libel law? I think not

#15 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2005 - 02:19 PM

I did not want to just complain about this hotel but find out how I could report it, which I realise won't even be possible. So my threat to the receptionist about reporting what happened must of just bounced of her.

I didn't even say what had happened at this hotel here, just that I didn't think it deserved its 5 star status.

I still don't know how I am supposed to choose a hotel in Greece if there is no official status anywhere...... if the tourist board just ignores emails what is the point ?

I did complain to the receptionist who just kept saying she just worked there, all the other people at the hotel ( the mother, the father, the daughter, the son in law, the grand daughter....... etc. ) did not even speak any english. I even suggested the least they could do for all the inconvenience we had was to offer us something off the price of our hotel room and I just got a shrug.

Yannis, it does not make a lot of difference whether I register or not. I could use any email address and nickname I want, why would that make me a more real person.

Jeffrey

#16 Jeffrey

Jeffrey

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 03:13 PM

Jeff who has published all these negative comments about Scala Hotel should at least have the courage to register, so that he has some kind of identity. Negative or positive comments from unregistered users about any kind of business in Crete should not be taken seriously. It is so easy for anyone to say anything he wants when he is totally anonymous.
ExploreCrete offers its visitors the option of writing reviews about any kind of business in Crete. Every review, positive or negative will be published as long as it comes from an existing email address.
If Jeff or anybody else wants to write a review about a hotel, restaurant or any other kind of business in Crete, then he/she should register first and then submit his/her review at the Reviews sub-forum:
http://www.explorecr...php?showforum=7

Just to show I have nothing to hide I have now registered. I did not publish all these negative comments, only what had happened (and even then I did not give any details). I loved Crete and would go back again if I got the chance, I am sorry you took this as a criticism about Crete. I saw your review forum but have not posted there as it is not a review I wanted but information.

#17 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 01 November 2005 - 07:13 PM

Jeffrey,
thanks for understanding my point of view. If you want to write a review about this hotel or any other business in Crete, please do so. I am sure there are quite a few things that need critisizing in Crete and "we' could improve from remarks like yours.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster