26 replies to this topic

#1 MAVROLIO

MAVROLIO

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 03:14 AM

One thing that everyone has in common on this site is their love for Crete.
Can you all give some reasons on why you love Crete?

my main reason (and of course i have plenty), is that is where i am from. that is where my parents were born and raised, and that is where i spoke my first words and walked my first steps.
Crete is home to me.
8A PERASEI KAI AYTO

#2 emily

emily

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 03:23 AM

I have been to Crete twice. Once when I was in my teens and this year. I just love the simplicity and beauty of the island. I have been to many greek islands and have found that Crete is the most friendly! I really like the more traditional areas and am not into the really busy tourist resorts such as Malia, though I do know that it has a quieter side. When I am on holiday I want to appreciate the real atmosphere of a country, not sitting in an "english pub" with drunk people in football shirts. I can get that here!! I think overall I just love the atmosphere, the weather, the people, the food..... Maybe I should just say everything <_<

#3 Guest_Guest_Joanne_*_*

Guest_Guest_Joanne_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2005 - 06:59 PM

I love the scenery, the weather and the people. The roads are pretty good for travelling around, shame the greek drivers are a bit crazy, lol. Double lines and dangerous driving don't mean much to them.

Though we went in october there were still a lot of flowers around and I think I would like to go back in spring when it is less dry.

Now how about a subject about what we don't like about Crete, lol.

regards,
Joanne

#4 Guest_Steve.B_*

Guest_Steve.B_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:48 PM

Mavrolio,what a question you ask!
There are so many things I love about Crete,the weather,the beaches,the mountains,the food,the villages,the warmth,open -ness and friendlyness of the people,the music,the culture,the smells in the air in the mountains,the un-hurried,relaxed attitude to life,Raki.The list goes on and on.

But,perhaps the most honest answer,is that it is almost impossible to define love,but for many of us,there is a almost spiritual feel in Crete,and if that feeling touches you,when a voice in your heart says"this is where you belong"you realise that words are inadequate to describe love,all you can do,is to acknowledge the feeling and accept it.
And on behalf of those off us unlucky enough to have been born elsewhere,may I say to the people of Crete,thank you for puting up with us Creto-philes!

#5 Guest_Steve.B_*

Guest_Steve.B_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2005 - 08:50 PM

In reply to joanne's comment about what we dont like about Crete,thats easy!
LEAVING CRETE AND RETURNING TO ENGLAND!!

#6 MAVROLIO

MAVROLIO

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 11:14 PM

awwwwwwwwwww Steviiiiiiiiiiieeee!!!!
me too <_<
i hate coming back to the U.S.!!!! it's the absolute worst!!!
8A PERASEI KAI AYTO

#7 Anne

Anne

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 11:53 PM

Everything!!!! The people, their zest for life (they seem to have an almost innocent/naive of the way they view things) the way of life (siga siga need I say anymore) the mountains, the air, the SMELL of the island, the sea, the traffic...they all drive like they are the only ones on the road and if they meet anybody they know, they always stop to have a chat totally blocking the road, the food (koukia, fava, spetsofai, saganaki, the tomatoes, koukouvagia.....) the raki (my peach raki is almost ready for the first tasting) the little old women who go straight to the front of the queue in the bank and ask the teller "Can I ask you something" and then go on to complete their business in the bank. But most of all, and I dont think this will make me very popular with a lot of people except maybe Dinny and a few others ,,,, I live here!!!! and I dont have to leave every year!

<_< :blink: :lol: :lol:

#8 MAVROLIO

MAVROLIO

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 02:39 AM

<_< you live there??? sou zilevoooooooooo!!!! sou zilevo poli!!!!!
yes Anne i agree,,,, even the things that drive me nuts about Crete, i love them anyway.
i love when i go into a village, and old men shout at you "tinous eisai???" ( who's are you?= who's kid are you?) i love that just because you have the same last name, they consider you family. i love that if you run into someone who knows a family member, they immediately want to treat you! wether its coffee, or just a chocolate bar!
i love walking through Korai and Dedalou at 9 o'clock in the morning, and all the kafeteries are full, and walking through the same street at 1 in the afternoon, and all the kafeteries are full, and walking through the same street at 9 o'clock at night and the kafeteries are still f u l l !!!!!

KPHTHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!
8A PERASEI KAI AYTO

#9 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 07:41 AM

For the same reasons as you've all mentioned, I couldn't answer mavrolio's question when I first read it. It's simply impossible to choose the ONE thing you love the most about Crete!!

I can agree with the choice of the worst thing: LEAVING! I've experienced it a few times, and decided I would not put myself through that again. I'm not leaving anymore! <_<

#10 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 10:20 AM

In Welsh we have a word, 'Hiraeth', that describes the feeling I have for Crete. Unfortunately it has no translation that can adequately describe the feeling. Personally I feel it is an inner feeling of belonging to and of longing for, something that it is said the Welsh are truly good at. You ask any Welsh person what is meant by 'hiraeth' (he-raithe) and prepare yourself for a long, personal explanation.
As most other members I hate leaving the island but try to be positive and look forward to my next visit (which by the way is in a month !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). :lol: <_< :lol: :blink: :lol:
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#11 Guest_Clare_*

Guest_Clare_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2005 - 01:55 PM

In Welsh we have a word, 'Hiraeth', that describes the feeling I have for Crete. Unfortunately it has no translation that can adequately describe the feeling. Personally I feel it is an inner feeling of belonging to and of longing for, something that it is said the Welsh are truly good at. You ask any Welsh person what is meant by 'hiraeth' (he-raithe) and prepare yourself for a long, personal explanation.
As most other members I hate leaving the island but try to be positive and look forward to my next visit (which by the way is in a month !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). :) :D :) :D :)

This is a pretty depressing question to answer as I sit at home looking out the window to cold, dull, wet weather....therefore needless to say, I obviously don't have the pleasure of living in Crete!!
'Everything' is a good answer....but I suppose if I was forced to choose one thing it would be the people - they make the island what it is, despite its' wonderful natural beauty. I have yet to meet a rude Greek person in Crete....and having travelling to numerous countries, I can safely say i have never received a welcome quite like I do when I arrive in Crete. Their laid back attitude suits me totally, and they're so open and friendly, a lot more than we are in the UK which is a shame. If I had to choose one thing I didn't like about Crete....it's the cheap bustling man-made resorts like Malia/Hersonissos....but I suppose, we as tourists have created this problem! Give me traditional villages like Piskopiano/Koutouloufari any day - sheer bliss! I also am in tears every time I've to get on a bus to go to Heraklion airport, it's sooo depressing but gotta e done! Just wish I was there right now....oh well, hopefully one day I'll retire there! What's it like to live there anyway? As good as the 'holiday feeling'?! Davew, ur so lucky, what part are u going to next month? Any space in ur suitcase? :( ;)

#12 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 12:21 AM

Sorry Clare but there isn't any room in my suitcase. Unfortunately I'll have to leave you and my wife at home whilst I visit friends in Kalyves, just east of Hania. :D ;) :) :( :) :D
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#13 Helena Howard

Helena Howard

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 05:13 PM

Hello good topic:) may I add my tuppance worth? for me its the people, lovely warm positive people, who will go out of thier way to make you feel welcome, and also the laid back astmosphere, the beautiful countryside, although Ive never seen it at its best only during July when its all sunkissed, this I must rectify and soon, as I am going to be free from the dreaded workforce in January I think I will plan a nice trip to take in the cultural sights as earley as possible next spring:) last time I left Crete the thoughs of going home left me sick in my heart I couldnt eat all day wierd eh? so I went for a long walk along the shoreline it was aproaching dusk, and just sat and looked out to sea the warm breeze soothed my suffering soul and my heart listened and I felt a calmness come over me and I knew there and then I would be back as soon as I could make it, I too feel the spiritual call of Crete and am delighted SteveB and others feel the same now I know I am not a wierdo ;)) anyway .. I cryed as the plane was taxiing down the runway and I looked out over the city of Heraklion and thought of all those people just wakeing up for another beautiful day on Crete , but I will be back, and meanwhile when I need a fix I come here:) thank you Yannis for this website for me its like a bandaid:)

#14 aarond

aarond

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 11:57 AM

As a newbie and someone considering Crete for a honeymoon - what and where should I avoid in Crete? I know of Malia as a kids on the beer place - any others?

I've read (excuse my spelling) Agios Nicholas is really nice and good for a young couple, close to a nice beach etc etc. THEN someone I work with said it was tacky!!!?? We'd even looked at a nice hotel (looks nice in brochure) called Hermes......

I'm confused!

#15 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 02:19 PM

Agios Nikolaos and the nearby Elounda are quite nice. Not bad at all for a honeymoon.
You should consider Chania also. It is scenic, photogenic, romantic, historic and with lots to see and do.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#16 Brook

Brook

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 November 2005 - 04:13 PM

What a loaded question. Just like other members, everything is captivating about Crete. You have to let her into your heart and then you are hooked. The smell of the flowers, the fresh fruit, kind hearted people, majestic mountains, the inviting sea, etc... I can go on and on.
I'm looking out a window to a clear day in Toronto however, it is getting colder by the day. Winter is around the corner... :(

#17 MAVROLIO

MAVROLIO

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 11:17 PM

I LOVE KRITI! I LOVE KRITI! I LOVE KRITI!!!
Things that i love about Kriti continued:
i love going to weddings in Kriti! The glentia are always sick! they go on until the morning, they make the best wedding pilafi. i love that EVERYONE goes to church, and not just to the reception.
i love Kriti in the wintertime. everything is green! it's strange, all the dark burnt out dryed up mountains that you see during the summer, turn Greeeeeeeeeeen during the fall and winter months!
its absolutely fascinating.!!!
and also time to make the raki!!!! :(
8A PERASEI KAI AYTO

#18 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 November 2005 - 09:57 PM

I LOVE KRITI! I LOVE KRITI! I LOVE KRITI!!!
Things that i love about Kriti continued:
i love going to weddings in Kriti! The glentia are always sick! they go on until the morning, they make the best wedding pilafi. i love that EVERYONE goes to church, and not just to the reception.
i love Kriti in the wintertime. everything is green! it's strange, all the dark burnt out dryed up mountains that you see during the summer, turn Greeeeeeeeeeen during the fall and winter months!
its absolutely fascinating.!!!
and also time to make the raki!!!! :D

Yes it turns "Greeeeen" because of all the Bl@@dy rain! and everyone goes to the church? The last wedding I went to here most people sat drinking outside until it was time for THE moment and then all dived in to church to see the vital bit :)
And before you all go have a go Yes i love this place and as a resident here in a proper Cretan village ie we are the only xenos after October and then the real Cretan spirit appears with the real frienship and community, and Yes Mavrolio I also refurbished the local Rachi shed as well Although as they were producing raki as I was finishing off,my last bits of work weren't up to my normal standard... Strange that :(

#19 MAVROLIO

MAVROLIO

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 11:34 PM

oh for real??? not the wedding i've been to! my 1st uncle was married in Agios Minas, and i thought i was going to pass out! there were so so so many people inside the church. And he was married December 26th, although it wasnt cold outside. A little chilly, but not like here in New York, were in December it goes 20 degrees BELOW ZERO!!!! and then the glenti, or reception was done in my thios kafenio up in the xorio.
We were all dancing outside! LOVED IT!
yes the mountains turn greeeeeeeeeeeen because of the bloody raaaaaaaaaaiiinnnn, but thats NATURE! its just such a dramatic diffference from how the mountains look in the summer time. After February it's truly breathtaking, with the baby goats running around head butting each other, they are SO cute!!!
and wild flowers popping up every which way you look!
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh I LOVE KPHTH!!!!
8A PERASEI KAI AYTO

#20 mani

mani

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 07 November 2005 - 07:29 PM

I love Crete

what else needs to be said ???
Ian