#1 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 09:36 PM

Curious comparisons:

In Denmark, dinner is at 18.00 - kids' goodnight programmes on TV are at 19.00 - at 19.30 small kids go to sleep, a little older kids go to sleep not later than 21.00. School starts at 08.15.

In Italy, dinner is at 20.00 - kids get to see the last programme on TV at 20.40 till 21.00 and then they go to sleep. School starts at 08.00

In Greece, dinner is at 21.00? - I notice that the advertising towards kids on TV is heavy around 22.00 (sure sign that this is the hour when children watch TV). Kids probably don't go to sleep untill around eleven at night??? School starts at 08.15.

Is there something in Greek childrens' DNA that makes them require less sleep than Scandinavian or Italian kids? Or is this the simple explanation to why my granddaughter makes such a fuss when she has to get up in the morning to attend school (kindergarten school) ??? When she'll be 18 she will have missed more than 10.000 hours of sleep... 456 days.... 1,25 year.

#2 MAVROLIO

MAVROLIO

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:03 PM

Dinny, in Greece i believe kids go to bed whenever they get tired. :P
i have never seen a family in Greece where the kids go to bed at a set time.
or a family sits down for dinner at a set time.
8A PERASEI KAI AYTO

#3 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:14 PM

I don't agree with Mavrolio. There is a certain timetable in every (or most) greek families.
Usually dinner is at 21:00 and children go to sleep around 10:30 to 11:00. That depends on their age too.
However, do not forget that most greek children have noon siestas, so they rest during the day as well, not only at night.
Dinner time depends on the working hours of the parents. My sister returns home around 8:45 pm in the winter and around 9:15 in the summer. This means that her family will have dinner around 9:30 pm.
Lunch is around 2:30 pm usually.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#4 MAVROLIO

MAVROLIO

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 01:16 AM

speaking from personal experience of course, from my relatives homes.
dinner is served when my uncles come back home from the provata.
if the kids get hungry before that, they eat before that. why make the kids wait till 7, 8, 9 , 10 or whenever the job gets done from the sheep?
during school season, most children (AGAIN that i have personally experienced) are urged to go to bed early, but they usually don't.
when i lived in Greece, as a child, i never had a set time neither for dinner nor for bedtime.
but thats just us i guess.
i cannot speak for the rest of Crete or Greece. :P
8A PERASEI KAI AYTO

#5 Hana

Hana

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 01:31 PM

:lol: This was an interesting question, Dinny, I often wondered about that, having seen little kids running around late at night, and having also seen those late night kid's ads :blink: But I did think of the kids having the siesta and then it does make sense <_< I guess this is the systematical production of the next generations to keep the greek night lifestyle alive :lol: Very different from what we are used to here up north... but I bet kids love it - my son would have!

#6 Birgit

Birgit

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 06:03 PM

A little comment on the TV ads:

As far as I know Greece is one of the few countries, if not the only one, where ads towards children only are allowed after 22.00 in the evening.

If the children stay up late to watch these ads anyway I don't know. <_<

Birgit

#7 MAVROLIO

MAVROLIO

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 09:34 PM

Hana when i was a young little Cretan girl, i absolutely HATED taking my afternoon nap!!!
i had aunts and uncles and cousins and grandparents try to convince me that, you're just not supposed to be awake in the afternoon. that everyone sleeps in the afternoon, you're not allowed to play in the afternoon, UGH! i hated it!!!!
now trying to get my little cousins to sleep in the afternoon is payback!!! hahahaha
8A PERASEI KAI AYTO

#8 Anne

Anne

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 11:34 PM

I have a friend with four children aged from 13 down to 6 years old. They never take a siesta in the afternoon because they all have extra studies, music lessons, athletics etc. During the week they are generally in bed by 11pm but at the weekend they can stay up as late as they want. My friend has been to our home on quite a few Friday evenings and by 11.30/12.00 the children, with the exception of the 6 year old, have all fell asleep! <_<

#9 MAVROLIO

MAVROLIO

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 12:07 AM

if you slip them some raki, they fall asleep quicker! <_< :blink:
8A PERASEI KAI AYTO

#10 Hana

Hana

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 01:57 PM

Hana when i was a young little Cretan girl, i absolutely HATED taking my afternoon nap!!!

.... Hi Mavrolio, yes, I take your point. I was actually reffering to the staying up late part, anyway :blink: Thanks for initiating me into the secrets of the greek children & siesta <_< I can see how now with the traditional lifestyle becoming more and more compromised by the modern one, kids will not be able to use siesta anyway as Anne says - clubs, classes etc.. Well, all you can do is admire them for not suffering from sleep deprivation. I could not handle it - I need my sleep - at that age, anyway! It must be a matter of getting used to it.

My son used to have difficulties going to sleep, when he was about 7-8, so he would read his Harry Potter books till late (often secretly). But then to get him out of bed for school was a battle of wills..