#1 UffeS

UffeS

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 08:10 PM

Posted Image

Hi, this is the title cover to a very good Greek drama/romance movie called The Weeping Meadow (Trilogia I: To Livadi po dakryzei) recently released this year.
It is directed by Theo Angelopoulos who is not yet very known because I think this is his first film.

I just wanted to tell you all about it because I think it is emotionally a very touching movie and it is also beautifully filmed. I saw this almost 3 hour long film earlier this week and I liked it very much so I can just recommend it to you.

The film traces the history of Greece in the 20th century through the story of the relationship between a man and a woman over decades. Part one ends with the Greek civil war after World War II.

Please read more here about this fantastic film

Uffe

#2 Yorgos

Yorgos

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 12:38 AM

I agree with you Uffe, this is a very moving film and worth watching for anybody that wants to learn more about the tragic history of modern Greece.

Angelopoulos has been around for more than 30 years and he is one of the most respected and serious film directors in Greece. More on him you can see at:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000766/

An other film, this one mostly in English was the “Ulysses’ gaze” which most probably can be found at the local DVD shop in Greece, as for other countries I do not know. Again historic but also very depressing, as most of his films are, but than that’s what Greece’s modern history is.

Yorgos

[/size][/font]
[/quote]

#3 UffeS

UffeS

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 06:55 AM

Hi Yorgos,

Thank you very much for updating me about the director Angelopoulos! I'm not too familiar with Greek movies, more with the traditional and modern music. But anyway, he is indeed a very good director, at least what comes to this Weeping Meadow film. I have to start looking for his other movies.

Uffe

#4 Angela

Angela

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:24 PM

Thanks Uffe for the information on Angelopoulos' new film. I have had a hard time finding Greek movies in the States, but this one will become available soon. Anyone have any other suggestions on good Greek films? There is one movie I enjoyed, Italian, not Greek, called Mediterraneo. It is set on a small Greek isle during WWII. We actually watched it in my Greek class, I was disappointed to hear Italian rather than Greek as I am there to learn Greek, but it was a funny and touching movie that brings up some important issues about life and how one should live their life, what one should value, etc. Other than that I have only seen oldies like "Pote tin Kyriaki". Still on the lookout for popular modern Greek films.

#5 UffeS

UffeS

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 07:03 PM

Hi Angela, you're welcome :( Actually I'm still almost blue what comes to Greek films, right now I can't recall any other than this movie. As I replied to Yorgos, I have to start looking for movies from the director Angelopoulos, if his earlier production is as good as his latest film, I'm sure I will like them. I just hope the films are translated (subtexted) because I don't speak Greek :P
Why not start off with the “Ulysses gaze” movie that Yorgos mentioned, if you can find it in the States.

Uffe

#6 Yorgos

Yorgos

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 02:01 AM

A recent very good Greek film has been “A touch of spice” about a young Greek boy’s reminiscence of life in Constantinople in his grand father’s spice shop, his love for cooking, growing up in Athens, going back to Constantinople, meeting his childhood love, etc. Great sights, great music and many tips for Greek cooking and use of spices. Thoroughly recommended. Released in DVD last year.

See also: http://www.femail.co...pice_review.htm