22 replies to this topic

#1 Angela

Angela

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 16 October 2005 - 07:36 PM

Hi, anyone on here who might know the lyrics to the mantinada "Astra mhn me malonete"?? I cannot make out all the words when listening and have been unable to find anything on the lyrics through search engines. I got close one time on a German website, but there was an error that popped up, couldn't understand the German though, maybe I had to be a member...it was very frustrating, I was so close!

#2 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2005 - 02:18 AM

Hi, anyone on here who might know the lyrics to the mantinada "Astra mhn me malonete"?? I cannot make out all the words when listening and have been unable to find anything on the lyrics through search engines. I got close one time on a German website, but there was an error that popped up, couldn't understand the German though, maybe I had to be a member...it was very frustrating, I was so close!

ASTRA MIN ME MALONETE
POU TRAGOUDO TI NIXTA
GIATI EIXA PONO STH KARDIA
KAI VGIKA KAI TON EIPA.

does it make sense to you the way i write it? im not sure if you speak Greek.

#3 Angela

Angela

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 04:46 AM

does it make sense to you the way i write it? im not sure if you speak Greek.
[/quote]

Yeah, thats fine. Boro na diabazw ellinika, alla katalabainw mono ligo.... siga siga. Thanks so much.... I listened to the song with the lyrics you provided, those are the ones!! He does add more lyrics to them, but I'm sure some of it is improvisation too.... I will keep struggling with it. Sas efharisto.

#4 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 08:08 AM

You already have the first part of the song, so here is the rest of it:

St' astra tha po ton pono mou
pou den ton martiroune
apou 'houne ipomoni
(ahi pos me katantises)
me ts' ores kai grikoune.

Eida enan antra mia fora
etoimo na dakrisei
ki orkistike eis to Theo
(Thee mou megalodiname)
na min ksanagapisei.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#5 Angela

Angela

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 08:14 PM

Thank you Yannis... I believe that finishes it. Now I can sing along.... I love the song, I miss hearing Cretan music this summer.

#6 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2005 - 10:08 PM

there are different versions of the song also.
one of my favorite lyrarides finishes that song like this

ORKISTIKES NA M'AGAPAS
K'EKOUSANE SE TA ASTRA
KAI 8A TA VALW AN M'ARNITHEIS
MARTIRES KSELOGIASTRA

#7 Angela

Angela

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 01:47 AM

Yeah, I figured there would be alot of variation and improvisation as well. The version I have is the way you began it, Yanni's second verse, and then the last part is a bit different from both of the last parts each of your provided. I can't really make it out too well. It seems like it is saying....

ASTRA MIN ME MALONETE
POU TRAGOUDO TI NIXTA
GIATI EIXA PONO STH KARDIA
KAI VGIKA KAI TON EIPA. (giati eixa pono sa masa ma)

St' astra tha po ton pono mou
pou den ton martiroune
apou 'houne ipomoni
(ahi pos me katantises) (something like, axi ka bgika san giasa ma)
me ts' ores kai grikoune.

but the last part goes...

den epuxe/etuxe fengari mou
na pou sto martiroune
epei (exei?) sto dh pion argas
na bgika einai san giasa mas
and ?????
den epuxe na piou sto martiroune

well my guess is probably completely wrong, but thats how it sounds to me, even though it can sound different everytime (epuxe/etuxe)

I'll get it someday... either way I have the first two parts, thats good enough I guess, until I can maybe get help from my Greek professor or my father.

I have another question, for anyone familiar with traditional dancing, is there any dance that can be done to this song? I've only started dancing two months ago, and we have focused on Ipirus and Pontus so far, so I don't know much about Cretan dancing yet, and don't know which type of dance would go with this song, if any. Thanks for all your help, I'm glad to be able to understand some of this song I like so much.

#8 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 07:56 AM

yes, you can dance the "siganos' with this song. Two steps forward, one step back. No dancing lessons needed for this one -)
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#9 Anne

Anne

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 18 October 2005 - 01:49 PM

Hi Angela

One of my favourite Cretan singers, Mihalis Zougianakis (apologies if the spelling is wrong) sings this song and your post reminded me of a night in the summer just past when we went to see him singing in the theatre at the Fortezza in Rethymno.

It was such a magical night, just a slight hint of a breeze coming off the sea and looking up at the clear night sky with Mihalis and his musicians entertaining us with all our favourites. I didnt want it to end.

Anne

#10 Angela

Angela

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 07:29 PM

Sounds like it was a beautiful night. I have nothing specific for it to strike my memory, but it just reminded me of my time in Crete this summer, especially the nights in Sfakia with crystal clear skies and near total silence besides the waves, I really miss those days.

Thanks for the "siganos" info, I'll ask my intructor about it, maybe we can dance to the song.

#11 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2005 - 01:04 AM

maybe it is like this:
DEN ETIXE FEGGARI MOU
NA'RTHEIS STO XALI APOU'ME
K'EXEIS TO DIKIO NA ROTAS
GIANTA STENOXOROUME

and Anne, you were very close, its Mihalis Tzouganakis.
who is very talented, but puts a different soul into Cretan music.
i like more traditional musicians like Vasilis Skoulas, Nikiforos Aerakis, also the double cd set of XATHERI is very very very good.
Psarantonis is in a class all his own, followed by his talented children, Niki, Yiorgis and Lambis.

#12 Anne

Anne

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:37 AM

I love Psarantonis, we went to see him in the fortezza the week after Tzouganakis (thank you). He also had his daughter Niki singing with him and she has one of the most beautiful voices I have ever heard. I too like the more traditional Cretan singers like Skoulas and Gonnianakis. We have met Giorgos Zervakis on several occasions and he even invited Stelios (my hubby) and our company to be his guests at a wedding he played at near Vrysses a few years ago. It was a crazy night as you come to expect from one of his concerts.

A bit off topic but, a few years ago we went to see Pyx Lax playing and I spotted Mihalis Tzouganakis on his way back stage to meet some of the members of the band. He ended up singing "Pali Pali" on stage with them and the crowd went ballistic! Ahhh... happy times!!!

Anne

#13 Angela

Angela

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 07:55 PM

Those are the lyrics I was looking for... wow, I was WAY off. I guess thats what happens when you barely speak Greek, though it even happens to me with some English songs. Thanks for the lyrics, that is the version I have. I still don't know who the singer is because I actually heard the song on a movie called Greece: Land of Light, which shows video of Greek with music in the background.

#14 Guest_Antonakis_*

Guest_Antonakis_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:23 PM

Those are the lyrics I was looking for... wow, I was WAY off. I guess thats what happens when you barely speak Greek, though it even happens to me with some English songs. Thanks for the lyrics, that is the version I have. I still don't know who the singer is because I actually heard the song on a movie called Greece: Land of Light, which shows video of Greek with music in the background.

Would it be crass to request a translation?[size=6]

#15 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:33 PM

translation of the words in the mantinades?

Anne... Psarantoni is the man! He's the sweetest little old man! And i have a special liking because he knew my grandfather and great grandfather. (they were from the same village)
Niki is beautiful! and she has an amazing voice! the Xatheri cd's have her and her brother Yiorgi singing and playing on it. along with some other musicians. Truly a great double cd if you like traditional Cretan music.
but to be quite honest, i am not very fond of Zervakis music. He has alot of talent, but as far as being traditional is concerned he is way off. Also at his concerts it's madness, and he yells a LOT!
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
ELAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
EPANASTASIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
it's too much, he needs to chill out.

also i am tired of writing under guest, i will be logging in with my user name MAVROLIO. i like this site way too much to not participate in it.

#16 MAVROLIO

MAVROLIO

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:34 PM

OK THEN, I AM BACK!!!
8A PERASEI KAI AYTO

#17 Angela

Angela

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 12:49 AM

I wouldn't mind putting a translation on here for all those who want to know the meaning without knowing Greek, though I still don't know Greek very well, but I will get started on it.
The songs title, Astra min me malonete, means Stars, don't scold me...

ASTRA MIN ME MALONETE
POU TRAGOUDO TI NIXTA pou=where, where I sing in the night
GIATI EIXA PONO STH KARDIA because I have (had) pain in my heart
KAI VGIKA KAI TON EIPA. and I went out and I told him (or them, the stars I think)

St' astra tha po ton pono mou to the stars I will tell my pain

the others I have to look up some words... thats all for now, anyone else who speaks Greek can correct me or add on the rest.

#18 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 05:38 PM

OK THEN, I AM BACK!!!

Good to see you back here in your right shape, Mavrolio

:P

#19 MAVROLIO

MAVROLIO

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:25 PM

Thank you Dinny!!!
i just came back from Crete on Saturday, a bit chilly no? :P
8A PERASEI KAI AYTO

#20 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 01:30 AM

Nice topic.
They used to start original ones in the old days B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."