9 replies to this topic

#1 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 12:33 PM

Hi all,

I have spent all morning today creating a portal page, the ExploreCrete Community. Please take a look here: http://www.explorecr...ex.php?act=home and let me know your opinion about it. It is not going to replace the Homepage of the site but it will be the entrance page to the ExploreCrete Community pages (forums, blogs, your photoalbums).

Finally, I would like your suggestions about the title of this portal page. Is "ExploreCrete Community" a good one? Do you have something better to suggest?
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#2 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 03:29 PM

Yannis file mou.
It looks good to me, and I think that the title as suggested is ideal. Thanks for all your efforts.
Tim

Hi all,

I have spent all morning today creating a portal page, the ExploreCrete Community. Please take a look here: http://www.explorecr...ex.php?act=home and let me know your opinion about it. It is not going to replace the Homepage of the site but it will be the entrance page to the ExploreCrete Community pages (forums, blogs, your photoalbums).

Finally, I would like your suggestions about the title of this portal page. Is "ExploreCrete Community" a good one? Do you have something better to suggest?

#3 Birgit

Birgit

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 04:01 PM

Hi Yannis,

As usual: Excellent!
But why change the name from what you yourself first call the site: A portal - Explore Crete Portal. To me the word "Community" gives associations to something you are already a member of, but a portal is open for everyone.

Regards,
Birgit

#4 Hana

Hana

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 04:27 PM

Yanni, whilst I do appreciate your work on bettering the website features and I also like the Explorecrete Community title, I find yet one more portal page confusing and “cluttering”. I don’t presently see why it is needed. If I click on “Blogs” it then tells me what are the latest posts, the same with Photo albums, and other information is already included in the link tabs on every page, the names of new articles I would have already read on the homepage?

I prefer simplicity where possible, its already quite complex to find everything one might want to see…. But perhaps I am missing how would this entrance page benefit us? Does it mean, that that one link would then replace say the Forum tab on the Homepage, to indicate that there is more than forum only?

Not understanding its purpose aside, it seems fine to me once I acquaint myself with the layout..perhaps , its kind of full of boxes and small writing, which is, like all portals, a bit dull and dreary for the eye?

Sorry, don’t mean to be mean just tried to give you my personal honest feedback, as you so nicely ask us. I guess I would like to understand the purpose of the page in order to be able to say how Id like it to look..

….my mizithra is finished now so I cant make any more kalitsouni …(Just kidding, didn’t make them, -I bet you recognized that- but they became a symbol of cretan hospitality for me on my last visit as 2 lovely ladies gave them to me , one old grandmother on the Sitia bus – she didn’t need any English to express her friendliness and one in Zakros palace ticket stand, she said “Its because of the special tourist day” (meaning the last week of September with free entry into archeological sites but I would be surprised if it meant she personally baked them for every single tourist that week;)))

x Hana
:)

#5 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 05:02 PM

Hana,
thanks for the comments. The purpose of this portal or entrance page is to have all information about latest updates in one page. The ExploreCrete Homepage (www.explorecrete.com) is not going to change but the FORUM link will take you to this entrance page.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#6 UffeS

UffeS

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 07:03 PM

I agree with Birgit, ExploreCrete Community sounds a bit like a closed site which is only for members, might scare some new members away in worst cases. It's not a big risk I think, but still.
On the other hand, the old name ExploreCrete Portal refers a bit to big portals like Yahoo and MSN web portals, at least I get that association from it. Sorry :unsure: anyway, it's better I think than the ExploreCrete Community name. So difficult with inventing new names!

What about Crete Explorers then? Might associate too much with hiking and mountain climbing maybe... just another suggestion.

What about simply Friends of Crete then? :) or Creteaholics even?

#7 Lala

Lala

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 11:37 PM

Change nothing, it's perfct. Love it.

#8 Hana

Hana

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 04:46 PM

Well, how about banishing that problem with something like Explorecrete Open Community :unsure: or indicating somehow that this certainly welcomes new people...?

#9 Brook

Brook

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 05:15 PM

I like it as is.
Bravo Yannis! :unsure:

#10 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests