13 replies to this topic

#1 emily

emily

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 12:51 AM

Hi, was wondering if anyone can help with things to do on my holiday next year. This year we booked excursions with the travel company but they were all pretty poor. What we really enjoy are the boat trips but the one we did this year which was to Dia island was pretty disappointing. After a very choppy trip over and neaqrly everyone hanging over the side looking green we got to the island only to find a beach the size of a handkerchief and a very questionable excuse for a barbie. Saw Spinalonga island advertised and wondered if anyone knows if its worth a trip if not anywhere else that is.

Thanks

Emma :)

#2 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2005 - 10:53 PM

Hi, was wondering if anyone can help with things to do on my holiday next year. What we really enjoy are the boat trips but the one we did this year which was to Dia island was pretty disappointing.
Thanks

Oh, MUCH better function, Yanni!

Emma, go and stay on the south side- Sougia, or Paleochora and use the ferries to make your excursions.

#3 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:28 PM

Spinalonga is definitely more worthseeing than Dia. Dia is a small island good for snorkelling and with a very impressive coastline but that is a matter of taste of course.
On Spinalonga you will see the runs of the fortress and the lepers' colony.
Another interesting boat trip is from Ierapetra to Hrissi island with the great beach and the cedar trees.
Finally, one of the best trips is from Kissamos to Mpalos lagoon and the Gramvoussa fortress.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#4 emily

emily

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 03:17 AM

Thanks Yannis :blink: Very helpful for me. Definitely will try some of those things on my holiday next year. I love being on boats, so will definitely try Spinalonga or somewhere. Its abeautiful island, think I need to stay longer than a week <_<

#5 MAVROLIO

MAVROLIO

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 12:16 AM

i've heard great things about Gaidouronissi, but i have never been there.
also it's quite a treck to Fallassarna. it's almost at the westernmost point of Crete, in Chania.
you have to go off road , follow a dirt road. its a mission to get there. but sooooooo worth it!!!
8A PERASEI KAI AYTO

#6 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 27 October 2005 - 06:48 AM

also it's quite a treck to Fallassarna. it's almost at the westernmost point of Crete, in Chania.
you have to go off road , follow a dirt road. its a mission to get there. but sooooooo worth it!!!

I think what you describe is Mpalos not Falassarna. There is an asphalt road to Falassarna and no need to trek at all <_<

The road to Mpalos is a dirt road but the alternative way is by boat from Kissamos, which is very convenient.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#7 MAVROLIO

MAVROLIO

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 28 October 2005 - 07:41 PM

interesting. i could be mistaken allthough i followed all the signs towards Fallassarna.
i didnt know there was pink sand in mpalo also.
i saw a picture in a book "H GH THS KPHTHS"
and the pic was of Fallassarna, so i followed my map and the road signs, and eventually ended up.... well i guess wherever it is that i ended up.
8A PERASEI KAI AYTO

#8 Anne

Anne

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 12:06 AM

I did the trek to Mpalos the first year I lived here. I was working in a night club until 5am and was rudely awakened, with a hangover, at 8.30am by our friends to go on the trip. After a two hour trip from Rethymno to Castelli and along the dirt track with a very scary drop to the right of the road, we got out of the car to be told that we had to walk over the mountain/hill to get to the beach. I could have murdered someone, until we reached the other side and had the vista of the lagoon before us. Incredible.

A friend of mine and myself were lucky enough to hitch a ride in a fishing boat back to Castelli from a fisherman who had been having his lunch in the little taverna right on the beach.

The strange thing is that I found a photograph on Explore Crete and it is nearly exactly the same as a photo that I took on that day.

#9 MAVROLIO

MAVROLIO

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 02:20 AM

:blink: hmmmmm now wait a minute Ann.... that doesn't sound familiar to what i had to do to get to "fallassarna" or mpalo,
it was more like following the asphalt road..... forever and ever and ever and ever.... finally getting on a dirt road,,,, and following that forever and ever and ever.... and theeeeeeeeeeennnn ..... going down down down down hill, to dirt parking lot.... and walking along some wood boards to get to the beach area.
there was a little kantina that sold sanwhiches and drinks and ice cream.
the view was absolutely breathtaking.... but the water was ICE COLD!!!!! <_<

Posted Image

this is where i was!!!! this is exactly where i was!!!!
8A PERASEI KAI AYTO

#10 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 10:10 AM

Yes, the photo you have published is from Falassarna. Perhaps a short part of the road that leads to the beach is unpaved but I remember that access is very easy. This can be seen in the following photo with the many cars parked on the beach:

Attached File  falassarna.jpg   30.4KB   99 downloads
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#11 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 10:32 AM

I can't comment about the road to the beach but when we travelled this road a couple of years ago we found it, as Yannis says, to be in great condition. There was one hairy moment though when you turned one bend to find that the road ran into a dirt track which was being tarmaced with all the accompanying heavy diggers crossing back and forth across the road, but this was only a couple of hundred metres or so. Quite an adventure for the children driving through a working site,although my wife wasn't very happyabout it!!. Anyway, the short stop gave us more time to enjoy the views.
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#12 MAVROLIO

MAVROLIO

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 29 October 2005 - 10:30 PM

Yes, the photo you have published is from Falassarna. Perhaps a short part of the road that leads to the beach is unpaved but I remember that access is very easy. This can be seen in the following photo with the many cars parked on the beach:

Attached File  falassarna.jpg   30.4KB   99 downloads

i parked the car to the left of that path.
8A PERASEI KAI AYTO

#13 Helena Howard

Helena Howard

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 05:58 PM

Hello Emma
Last year we drove to Elounda and took the short boat trip across to Spinalonga we had 2 hrs on the Island to explore and then the boat came back for us it was lovely definatley worth the trip I think it cost us 12€ each my friend came back from Crete a few weeks ago and she and her husband went to Santorini Island an organised trip, they said its a must do, beautiful place and showed more of the real Crete which they enjoyed rather than the tourist spots which they didnt ;) and she said if you go there you must stay over a few days to really get the feel I hope do visit there next holiday :(

#14 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 30 October 2005 - 07:35 PM

I have attempted the rough road to Falassarna, coming up from the south. The first time I gave up, the second I made it - only to find coaches and other vehicles there that had come the easier good road way. I forget where the misleading sign from the south is - but suggest that if you find a road signed that looks dodgy- it probably is, and has been superceded with one that is easy.