45 replies to this topic

#1 gazzer

gazzer

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 09:32 PM

We are visiting crete(koutouloufari) for the first time, we arrive on 23rd October- just wondered if anybody has any idea of the weather at this time of year or any other usefull tips.
Gazzer

#2 Guest_clare_*

Guest_clare_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2005 - 06:30 PM

We are visiting crete(koutouloufari) for the first time, we arrive on 23rd October- just wondered if anybody has any idea of the weather at this time of year or any other usefull tips.
Gazzer

Hi Gazzer...I'm green with envy - i would give anything to be going back to Koutouloufari this month, it's a wonderful spot! I've been there summer '04 & summer '05....and I'd go back again tomorrow - I just fell in love with it! So anything ya want to know about it, feel free to ask and I'll try my best to help!
Regarding the weather in October - according to my Greek friends it's still nice over there and warm enough, a lot warmer than Britian anyway - approx 20-24 degrees celsius recently I think, but I'm sure it will get cooler pretty soon. Hope this helps....
Clare :unsure:

#3 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 06 October 2005 - 07:51 PM

I can confirm weather is still VERY nice at the moment, but I have no experience about end of October.

It looks promising though

:unsure:

#4 Guest_Guest_emma_*_*

Guest_Guest_emma_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2005 - 03:23 PM

lucky you! been to koutouloufari this year in june. i agree with clare, it is a lovely village, my greek friend will also confirm that the weather is lovely this time of the year. summer can be very hot. I think the weather should be similar to when I went in june, but maybe someone else can confirm that. if yoy want any tips of places to visit just ask, lots of good restaurants and bars etc.. enjoy your holiday!

#5 emily

emily

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 07 October 2005 - 03:30 PM

oops wasnt logged on for last reply. if you want to send a message I will try and help with any questions. going back next year and cant wait!!!

#6 Guest_clare_*

Guest_clare_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2005 - 05:08 PM

oops wasnt logged on for last reply. if you want to send a message I will try and help with any questions. going back next year and cant wait!!!

Hi there Emma, glad to hear of another person who loved Koutouloufari - mostly people talking about the bigger resorts like stalis or Hersonissos! Where did u stay in Koutouloufari? What was ur best restaurant? My favourite was Galini...gorgeous food!

#7 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2005 - 12:11 PM

Hi there Emma, glad to hear of another person who loved Koutouloufari - mostly people talking about the bigger resorts like stalis or Hersonissos! Where did u stay in Koutouloufari? What was ur best restaurant? My favourite was Galini...gorgeous food!

#8 emily

emily

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 12:29 PM

yes we loved it there, I agree that galini was the best restaurant, went there several times with my friend and the food was always lovely and service excellent! cant wait to go back next year. any other recommendations as you have been there twice? are you giong back next year ?

#9 emily

emily

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 05:05 PM

by the way clare, you can email me of send me a message also, where did you stay in koutouloufari, we stayed at the astra which was lovely, next year it will be marni! lots more exploring to do next year I hope, more things to do etc.. :)

#10 Guest_clare_*

Guest_clare_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2005 - 07:16 PM

by the way clare, you can email me of send me a message also, where did you stay in koutouloufari, we stayed at the astra which was lovely, next year it will be marni! lots more exploring to do next year I hope, more things to do etc.. :)

Hi again Emma,

Yeah Marni is the best choice - we stayed there for the second time this August just past - it's a lovely complex with great staff. It's a beaufiful traditional village isn't it, and allows u to experience the 'real' Greek way of life to a large extent....although we did go out down in Hersonissos also at night...was nice to be away from all the buzz during the day though! Didn't notice Astra, I'm sure they're nice also. Lots to see and do if you hire a car, or even book excursions through your rep which we did...still not brave enough to venture into a car in Greece yet, although hopefully in the future!
Unsure at the nimute if I'll return next summer, as may go travelling for a longer period, however if not I'll be there!
Did you already have greek friends there or is it people u met there on hols? They're so friendly...God I wish i was back there right now!! Any questions, feel free to ask! :D

#11 emily

emily

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 09 October 2005 - 09:42 AM

Morning Clare. went to hersonissos too but found that we were getting there too early for the nightlife so ended up tired back in Koutouloufari! Light weights we are. Will have to make more of an effort next year I think especially as my friends birthday coincides with the holiday. Can you recommend any decent bars/clubs in Hersonissos for people about 30. (Well very nearly :) )
Made friends while I was over there this year. You are right the Greek/Cretan people are all very friendly, did not meet anyone who was unfriendly!! :D

#12 Guest_Guest_sarah_*_*

Guest_Guest_sarah_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2005 - 10:24 PM

hi, also been there this year and must admit gallinis is the best restauraunt in town!! the food and service was fantastic especially the after service from christo! do you not agree!!!! he was great!

#13 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2005 - 01:18 PM

hi clare, I know you said you havent been brave enough to hire a car. Me neither, dont think my skills are up to match the greek drivers and knowing me I would get lost or forget to drive on the right hand side of the road. Did you hire mopeds or quad bikes they look good fun and we are thinking of that for next year!! Did you go to Nostos Irish bar in Piskopiano. Had fun there too, and me being an exhibitionist I had to get up and have a little sing song! Still in touch with my friend and hopefully we will be able to meet up next summer. if not then everyone else is so friendly that I am sure we will make new friends. there are 3 of us going next year and I cant wait, saving my money already so I can spend it all, defintely going to do more at star beach, because stupidly we didnt venture down there til the second to last day. the rubber rings were fantastic though we did end up very sore and covered in bruises and grazes, managed to stay on them though!!! what else did you get up to? :)

#14 emily

emily

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 01:19 PM

I keep forgetting to log on before leaving a message :) keep having blonde moments!! hope you are ok clare!

#15 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 01:46 PM

Next time you login, check the box REMEMBER ME and a cookie will be stored in your computer, so that the login will happen automatically.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#16 emily

emily

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 06:19 PM

Next time you login, check the box REMEMBER ME and a cookie will be stored in your computer, so that the login will happen automatically.

thanks yannis, will try that. excellent website by the way :)

#17 Nick

Nick

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 07:06 PM

As an English taxi driver once said to me when i was in UK... there are 3 things startings from w that u cannot trust in life

weather, work and women :)

#18 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 08:06 PM

As an English taxi driver once said to me when i was in UK... there are 3 things startings from w that u cannot trust in life

weather, work and women :)

And back to the weather: it has been "greyish" here in the South the last couple of days. The morning starts great with blue sky and warm sunshine, but then the clouds get together - and tonight we actually have thunder and lightning and rain. It's still warm though, and the tourists don't seem to care much, they just sit under the big parasols at the restaurants and enjoy life. ;-)

#19 Guest_Clare_*

Guest_Clare_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2005 - 08:32 PM

Hi Emma, yeah I'm fine thanks! Nick I can't believe you said that :)
I didn't hire quads or mopeds when i was there as I'd heard many bad reports that they were very dangerous, and I saw some awful accidents so I figured it just wasn't worth it.
Didn't do very much when I was there, although this year I did a bit more sightseeing and went shopping in Iraklio...very hot tho! Most days we lay by the pool at marni relaxing, or went to Star Beach or the beach for the day, but I'd recommend a trip out to Stalis beach - much nicer and only a few euro on the bus. Yip, had a few gr8 nights in Nostos pub after wining and dining at Galini - and yip, Christos was a star....so funny and he remembered me from the previous year so that was cool! He's a bit of a charmer tho!
Best clubs I found in Hersonissos were New York, Amnesia, Havannah, Blarney Stone, Players....altho we didn't go down every night, and when we did we didn't leave til late on so that we didn't fade early...next day wasn't fun tho but c'est la vie!! So tell me more about this Greek 'friend' Emma...sounds like a bit of a romance blossoming or am I wrong?! :D Clare.

#20 emily

emily

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 11:56 PM

weather, work and women :D

Charming!! we have another saying in this country. There are only 2 sure things in life. The answer can be either Death and taxes, or the slightly more popular: death and nurses!!! All very true as far as I know!! Doesnt paint a very good picture of us english nurses but dont believe everything you are told!! Anyway wont be joining the crazy people in bikinis and no helmets on the back of mopeds, I am barely safe pushing a shopping trolley round the supermarket!!! :)