iraklio airport

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Antonakis_*

Guest_Antonakis_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 September 2005 - 11:06 AM

I am travelling to Crete from UK next week for a short holiday. I hate that damn airport ,especially on the way back ! anyone got any tips on how to survive it?

#2 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 12:52 PM

Well, we've survived Nikos Kazantzakis airport quite a few times.

The one thing we never do in touristy type airports is to go through customs and security until we know our plane is landed, or due to land. We much prefer to stay outside, in the relatively fresh air. Also the life there, with the coaches arriving and departing, the pale tourists arriving from Northern Europe (and returning home happier and more healthy looking), the Greek taxi drivers discussing the affais of the world, we even go for a short jog. Much better than being cramped up for ages inside the terminal building.

Henry.

#3 Britomantia

Britomantia

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 12:48 AM

I didn't find it all that bad myself - but I'm not well travelled, so can't make many comparisons. But it did take a long time for them to x-ray our luggage and get it through. Apart from that, the journey back was fine. :lol:

#4 johnny.dee

johnny.dee

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:13 PM

Leave the wife in the queue and sit outside or at the kafeneon over the road for an hour.

#5 johnny.dee

johnny.dee

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 September 2005 - 10:14 PM

probally being a bit flipant with that reply,sorry.