10thMuse

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 02:31 PM

Hi
Pleased to have just joined this group.

My wife and I both in our 40's are great fans of greece, we have stayed at most of the islands, with Kefalonia being the last one back this week :(

Question is
we have been looking at the brochures and can't decide which resort to stay at.
We both love beaches in particular the nice white pebble beaches found on most Greek islands, meaning crystal clear bathing waters, and fine snorkling. we also dont mind very clean sandy beaches but the former are our favourites.

Resort wise we love the type of resort which has plentiful supply of bars and tavernas, no disco's without too many of the football shirt brigade wandering the streets. :wink:

We always try for the best hotels 4 or 5 star.

Is there a resort that will satisfy our needs, we don't mind travelling out in a hire car to visit the nice beaches, in case there isn't a nice resort/beach combination.

We have lloked at Rhythmon so far which appears to be ok, maybe someone can guide me on the above

Many thanks in advance

#2 Guest_Julie_*

Guest_Julie_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2005 - 02:55 PM

If pebble beaches and crystal clear water are what you like, you should be looking at places on the south coast. The north coast beaches are mostly sandy, and the ones near Rethymno tend to shelve very gently so that you need to wade out for quite a distance before you are in water deep enough to swim (this may not apply to all beaches in the area).

The beaches on the southwest coast are almost all pebble (white limestone because the foothills of the White Mountains are just behind) and the Libyan Sea is crystal clear and clean and on a sunny day incomparably blue. The bays all have good snorkeling rocks.

However, you're unlikely to find a 4 or 5 star hotel in any of the small communities along this coast (Chora Sfakion, Loutro, Agia Roumeli, Sougia, Paleochora.) Paleochora has the widest choice. If you like the sound of the area, do a Google search and see if you can find a hotel that suits. Otherwise you do need to go for the north coast, where all the big tourist resorts, and hence the big international-standard hotels, are.

I always go to the south coast: someone who knows the north coast beaches better than I do may be able to pinpoint a couple that would give you what you want.

#3 10thMuse

10thMuse

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 03:02 PM

Thanks for the info,
I have done some more research and it appears that in September when we take our hols it is very windy, is this true

#4 Anne

Anne

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 04:11 PM

Hi There

The beaches in Rethymno are sandy and not good snorkling, but Rethymno sounds about right for your nightlife requirements and choice of hotels. The south of Crete with its good snorkling is not that far from Rethymno (about a 45min drive to Plakias) and there is some excellent snorkling at Damnoni, Ammoudia, Shinaria and at most of the beaches along the south coast. There is also some good beaches in the north for snorkling, Geropotamos river and a small beach just before there which I cant remamber the name of, to the east, and Petris beach and Kalivaki beach in Georgioupolis to the west.

Hope this helps.

Anne

#5 10thMuse

10thMuse

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 06:17 PM

Wow so much info from you kind folks, thanks for your speedy replies

#6 Julie M

Julie M

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 10:16 PM

Did you by chance stay at the 9 Muses in Kefalonia?!

Jop