15 replies to this topic

#1 Tinks

Tinks

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 10:42 AM

My holiday in Adeleianos Kampos was wonderful. I got to explore all over western and southern Crete for the first time. I believe I managed to explore... Adele and Platanias, Rethymnon (and all up in the surrounding mountains), Elafonissi, Plakias, Aghia Galini, Spili, Samaria, Arkadi, Zoniana, Heraklion, Bali and Chania.

My holiday snaps can be found here http://www.tinksdark...de.co.uk/crete/ (they're in a weird order though, as my automatic album creator decided to keep them all landscape then all portrait).

I've never known 2 weeks go so fast.

Edit: as a result of so much travelling and exploring in the car whilst listening to Art FM (89.1), I now have several Greek Radio adverts embedded in my brain as they played over and over and over again!

#2 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 11:39 AM

Lovely pictures, thanks for sharing them.

My memories were particularly tickled by DSC00948 - we were on that boat too, last October. Loutro was just fine for the one night, we thought. Had a bit of an earthquake there, in the middle of the night, the kind of scenario where you look at your partner and ask that eternal question.

Henry.

#3 Tinks

Tinks

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 12:33 PM

I was lucky enough not to be there during an earthquake, but there was the most tremendous storm I've ever seen on the Thursday night (8th Sept). I spent several hours watching the enormous storm cell that was constant lightning and torrential downpours.

#4 Guest_suzy_*

Guest_suzy_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2005 - 11:43 AM

Hello, there was a storm on the 8th of sept? there wasn't one where i was staying(Rethymnon). we had lovely weather for 2 weeks.
When was the eartrhquake? didn't here anything about that.

#5 Tinks

Tinks

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 12:56 PM

The storm was early evening on the 8th, I was in Adelianos Kampos, only 7km from Rethymnon town. It also poured down with rain most of Friday too. Even when we drove down to Plakias to escape it, the torrential rain followed.

The storm cell was very impressive to watch and I got a fantastic film of it on my mobile phone. :(

#6 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 04:51 PM

Lucky you! We hardly got any rain in Heraklion to wash the summer dust away...
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#7 Tinks

Tinks

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:39 PM

I was in Heraklion the day before, re-finding a fantastic harbouside taverna that I ate at last year (and fortunately found again, best shrimp saganaki we've ever had!)

Thought of you while I was in the town and wished I'd had the forethought to bring some tea along for you.

What on earth are they doing to some of the roads there? It was even harder than usual to get in to the main car park. I was wondering if some of the roads were being pedestrianised?

#8 Guest_Antonakis_*

Guest_Antonakis_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 2005 - 10:42 AM

Where is that harbourside taverna?

#9 Tinks

Tinks

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 11:20 AM

If you're walking towards the Venetian Fortress, along the harbour wall (on your left). You'll see several Tavernas at the roadside where the kitchen is based on the other side of the road and the waiters run a constant risk of becoming as flat as the cats in the road.

There are 5 tavernas there (I think), but the one you want is the one before the very last one there in the row (the 4th Taverna). I can't recall it's name at the moment, but will post as soon as I remember it.

#10 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 02:12 PM

If you mean Ippokampos, then it is a good one indeed.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#11 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 11:55 AM

Suzy wrote:

When was the eartrhquake? didn't here anything about that.

The earthquake that I mentioned was in October of last year, when we spent our one night in Loutro (and we thoroughly enjoyed that too - not least the walk to Fenix). The epicentre was just of Gavdos.

When we got back to the UK I did find references to the quake, but can't find it again now - but as thankfully there didn't seem to be any damage maybe it has already been lost in the mists of time. My wife and I remember it very well, though - we were woken up when it felt like somebody was given our beds a hard shake!

Henry.

#12 Tinks

Tinks

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 01:43 PM

It's a little late for this reply, But the restaurant I was referring to was called "Paralia"

We always eat there when we visit Iraklio and the food is always lovely.

I was sad to notice this year though that when we walked down to the fortress afterwards that the old sunken wreck of a boat has now been removed! When did that happen?
Curiouser and curiouser.....

#13 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 25 September 2006 - 05:15 PM

It must have happened this year. They want to deepen the port, so they are removing every rusty old wreck. The next thing they need to remove is the ammunition from World War 2 that is still on the bottom of the port.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#14 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 04:23 PM

I was having a reasonably good day (as good as anyone can have here in the UK) when I thought I've got a few moments to use up and decided to see your pictures Tinks, got to go home and pester Linda again about why we should be in Crete and not here LOL....................great views though thank you.
xxx

:o :)
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#15 Tinks

Tinks

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Posted 26 September 2006 - 04:38 PM

Glad you liked them!
Curiouser and curiouser.....

#16 MAVROLIO

MAVROLIO

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 27 September 2006 - 11:10 PM

Tink 25 Avgoustou is now a pedestrian road. that's the road that goes from Koule all the way past the 4 lions (Liontaria)
its become veeeeeeery inconvenient to get around Iraklio since now you have to go all the way around then straight on through. it looks pretty but still there are mopeds, papakia, scooters, motorcycles that go through that street.

oh yea, and earthquakes happen so frequently in Kriti that no one even mentions them anymore. there was a good on in i believe it was July 29th. that night i spent on the floor in my apartment. it's a 1-bedroom and there were 4 of us! so instead of yiayia sleeping on the floor (NEVER!) it was me, and i remember waking up and shouting "MAMA! SEISMOS!" (MOM EARTHQUAKE) and going back to sleep. lol.
the first quake i was in was 2002 and it was BAD!
8A PERASEI KAI AYTO