9 replies to this topic

#1 senanb

senanb

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 September 2005 - 10:54 PM

A few days ago I came across a very good idea which I thought deserved a mention on ExploreCrete.

A campaign encouraging people to enter an emergency contact number in their mobile phone's memory under the heading ICE (In Case of Emergency), has rapidly spread throughout the world as a particular consequence of recent terrorist attacks in London.

Originally established as a nation-wide campaign in the UK, ICE allows paramedics or police to be able to contact a designated relative/next of kin in an emergency situation.

The idea is the brainchild of East Anglian Ambulance Service paramedic Bob Brotchie and was launched in May this year. Bob, who has been a paramedic for 13 years, said: "I was reflecting on some of the calls I've attended at the roadside where I had to look through the mobile phone contacts struggling for information on a shocked or injured person. almost everyone carries a mobile phone now, and with ICE we'd know immediately who to contact and what number to ring. The person may even know their medical history".

By adopting ICE advice, your mobile phone will help the rescue services quickly contact a friend or relative- which could be vital in a life or death situation. It only takes a few seconds to do, and it could easily help save your life.

The idea is that you store the word "ICE" in your mobile phone address book and against it enter the number of the person you would want to be contacted " In Case of Emergency". In an emergency situation ambulance and hospital staff will then be able to quickly find out who your next of kin are and be able to contact them. It's so simple that everyone can do it.

Why not e mail this to everyone in your address book, it won't take to many 'forwards' before everybody will know about this. It really could save your life, or put a loved one's mind at rest.

For more than one contact name. ICE1, ICE2, ICE3, etc.

#2 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 01:39 PM

It's very good advice, Senan. I have always only had that kind of information in my agenda (which I don't always carry with me!!) - but now I have put it on my mobile as well.

Thanks!

#3 Anne

Anne

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 09:50 PM

This is a very good idea but it also has it's problems. If you check out the link below (hope this is allowed Yiannis, but I am only new) and put ice into the search engine and it should be the third or fourth entry on the list.

http://www.policeoracle.com

#4 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 11 September 2005 - 10:43 PM

Anne, I apologize for not understanding right away... I have checked your link and found nothing "problematic" about the suggestion.
What could be problematic about entering ICE in your mobile?

#5 Anne

Anne

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 08:33 AM

Morning Dinny
I remember reading about it a while back on another forum. It was something to do with mobile phone based viruses. Maybe not a serious enough reason not to have it but certainly one to be aware of. Maybe this link will explain it better.
http://www.policeora...7839&searched=1
Anne

#6 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 10:14 AM

:lol: this mobile phone virus/ICE is a HOAX

there is no danger from putting ICE numbers in your phone

These warnings are hoaxes; no such danger exists. As the East Anglian Ambulance service noted on their web site:

Email hoaxers are threatening a campaign to encourage people to store contact details in their mobile phones.

The ICE (In Case of Emergency) scheme gained widespread coverage in the wake of Thursday’s London bombings as word spread by email throughout the world.

People can add into the mobile’s address book ICE and the name and number of the person they would like contacted in an emergency.

But a subsequent email circulated by malicious hoaxers suggests that ICE is a type of mobile phone virus which accesses your address book and drains pay-as-you-go phones of its credits.

Matt Ware, spokesman for the East Anglian Ambulance Service, asked people to ignore the hoax email.

"I have been inundated with emails and phone calls from people worried that, having put ICE into their mobiles, they are now going to be charged for the privilege," he added.

"We would like to assure people that that’s not the case. Whoever began this second email chain is obviously a malicious person with way too much time on their hands."

source
http://www.eastangli...wsID=1121256619

#7 Anne

Anne

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 10:30 AM

Hi Harribobs
Sorry if I am wrong but after a very embarrassing incident when I emailed a hoax virus warning to all our offices I have been very careful about giving out these types of warning over message boards. I thought that any info I would see on a police website should be correct.
Anne

#8 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 11:10 AM

well i think you've just done it again

go to google, type in ICE HOAX and let me know what you find

#9 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 11:48 AM

Interesting how we get alarmed easily when somebody cries WOLF. :wink:

JUST IN CASE 8) I have now made a small correction to the entering in my mobile. I too would have believed it, if I found a similar message on a police website, Anne. Who can we trust anymore? :shock:

#10 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 12 September 2005 - 12:11 PM

Interesting how we get alarmed easily when somebody cries WOLF.  :wink:  

quite right, but there are some strange people out there that get off on these hoaxes

there was one going around which told people to delete a certain file (with a teddy bear icon) because it was a virus and would destroy your computer on a certain upcoming date,

without checking a lot of people deleted the file, passed on the message, it was actually part of the windows operating system :oops:

it's a good idea to check virus warnings with MSN, Norton or Macfee before doing anything