5 replies to this topic

#1 craftaddict

craftaddict

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 05:36 PM

Hello everyone, :) I am new to the forum. We are planning a trip to Crete in October for two weeks and will be renting a car. We have accomodation for about 12 nights and need to find two more nights on the north coast towards heklion as we will be driving from ierapetra to the airport and have an early flight to go home.

I did a search on the internet to see if I could find a reasonable priced hotel in that area but was not successful :? . I would love any suggestions you could give me.

We have not yet booked our rental car either. Is it better to rent before we leave or on the spot ? Which are the best companies in Crete ?

I would love any suggestions on excursions or things to see leaving from the Ierapetra area as we will have a car.

I am quite scared of driving around crete with road signs in a language we do not understand so hope we have made the right decision.

:) regards from France,
Joanne

#2 johnny.dee

johnny.dee

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 09:26 PM

There are many hotels/appartments for rent in the Gouves/Gournes area that have vacancies. About 15 to 20kl from airport.
Get your hire car at the airport, the hire companies have bargains at this time of year.

#3 Guest_Julie_*

Guest_Julie_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2005 - 10:50 PM

You don't need to worry about the road signs. On all but the most minor roads, the signs are in English as well as in Greek. Often, there will be a sign in Greek, and a little further on one in English.

If you are staying in Ierapetra, you should definitely go to see the archaeological site at Zakros, explore it, and walk the gorge. There are excellent beaches in the vicinity, and at Palaikastro, where there is another interesting site. And you should visit Sitia.

A copy of the Blue Guide to Crete would help you plan and make the most of your trip.

#4 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2005 - 11:17 PM

You might get a good deal at the airport- but I have always found better elsewhere, you might like to contact some of those who advertise here, via email, and see what they can offer, check a few out to get an idea of costs.
Tim

#5 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 12:21 AM

while you're in the east you should think about going to visit the lassithi plateau

a beautiful place well worth investgation

#6 Anthony

Anthony

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 September 2005 - 08:46 AM

I use Athens Cars they advertise on this site, they are reliable give good service and have offices across the island, Do get a good map, Enjoy your holiday.
Tony