8 replies to this topic

#1 Angela

Angela

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 03:51 AM

This might be a stupid question, but.... I was just wondering to myself today. While I was in Matala (only two days) it was VERY windy, so much so that you couldn't really enjoy the beach. It was very wavy with a strong undertow and the sands were whipped against your skin and got in your eyes, very painful. My father said he remembered it being windy when he had been there before, a couple times in the 70s. Also, all the restaurants had plastic guards (which I hadn't noticed at any other beachfront) which they could easily pull down to block the wind and sand I presume. So, the question, is it usually pretty windy in Matala? to someone who knows the village (Dinny would be good to ask in a few months!) Maybe not so much so as when I was there, but generally? Thanks.

#2 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 10:54 AM

strong wind ( meltemi) is very common all over crete, and with most restaurant dining areas being outside, it makes sense to have to plastic sheeting to protect the customers. i don't think Matala is especially bad although i've had some the worst days on the south coast

#3 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 25 August 2005 - 01:37 PM

Late July and August are the months that meltemi appears in Crete. In May, June, September and October the wind is much less.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#4 Angela

Angela

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 07:51 PM

Yeah, I have heard of meltemi, especially when I was on the west coast of Naxos. But, I just though that because of Matalas geographical position (westward facing) it might have things a little rougher, maybe I just got a windy couple days, and it would have been regardless where I was on the south coast. Thanks.

#5 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 09:26 PM

I'll let you know soon how the winds are in September :wink: Actually, I'm on the ship right now heading towards Patras. My car look like an Albanian truck and I have totally lost track of what's in it, since things that had been forgotten for the removal kept popping up... so if you see a small blue Lancia filled up to the roof with strange stuff... then it'll be me on my way to my new life in Crete :D And I'll let you know about the meltemi...

See ya all next week :)

#6 Guest_Julie_*

Guest_Julie_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 August 2005 - 09:36 AM

Angela

Crete is a windy island! You can get wind wherever you are, whenever you're there, from any direction, depending on the season. The north coast beaches and the west-facing south coast beaches get the meltemi, which blows from the northwest in July and August. Meltemi brings relief from the summer heat, but does make lying on a sandy beach uncomfortable. Unless you're wedded to a particular beach (such as Matala) it helps to choose a pebble beach (no sand to sting your eyes) and one that is more sheltered. If you aren't limited to the summer season, go in May or June (also avoiding the dreaded sirocco, the south wind of spring) or in late September-October. But in Crete you can expect wind from one direction or another at any time.

"Winds of Crete", by David MacNeil Doren, will tell you more about it.

#7 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 12:27 AM

Angela

Crete is a windy island! You can get wind wherever you are, whenever you're there, from any direction,

oh yes.... i've seen tables ( and bigger things) rolling down the streets in Matala, Elounda, Hania and at different times of the year

September and October the wind is much less.

we saw a 2m parasole ripped out of it's mountings ( complete with it's steel pole) last september.. :shock: luckily it went straight in the sea

#8 Guest_Julie_*

Guest_Julie_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 September 2005 - 09:31 AM

Hey, Harribobs, that was Yannis who said "in September and October the wind is much less", not I! I've had plenty of wind late in the season. The meltemi is over by then, but there can be plenty from other directions, in my experience especially the west.

Maybe it's different in Iraklio! ;-)

#9 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:27 AM

i was agreeing with you Julie

i know better than to disagree with females (even on a message board 8) )