16 replies to this topic

#1 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 23 August 2005 - 08:02 PM

The weather in Switzerland/Austria is all over the newspapers these days... and I was thinking of your plans to pass through Austria on your way to Crete. I know it'll be only few chilometres in Austria, but with this weather I really hope you've stopped for a very long icecream break before trying out some hazardous driving in the Austrian mountains.

Here in Italy it's only grey, a bit rainy but not too much. I hope for better weather (but then again not TOO much better) for when I leave on Friday. And Sunday morning I'll arrive in SUNNY CRETE :D

Let us know how your trip went, Yvonne!

#2 Lala

Lala

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 02:15 PM

looking forward to hearing from you both

#3 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 02:34 PM

Dinny reporting: Well arrived, everything is fantastic, my house is a dream and my first attempts to connect to the internet a nightmare. :wink: I am taking it siga-siga, everything will work out eventually, and meanwhile I drop by at my daughter in Matala to use their internet cafe' to catch up on work to do.

Today seems to be a very good day for the beach, since there are 300 cars in the parking lot, have never seen anything like it! But it's not yet beach time for me, and besides I like the beach to be a bit less crouded.

Will keep you posted. :)

YVONNE???? YOUR TURN TO REPORT :)

#4 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 30 August 2005 - 03:46 PM

Dinny,
welcome to Crete!!!
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#5 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 August 2005 - 05:05 PM

Dinny
Congratulations and best wishes on your new status. Enjoy.
Tim

#6 santo

santo

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 11:44 AM

oh Dinny now i am jealous, i was ok when you were talking about it but now your there....................best wishes and i'll say welcome because i'm there in spirit if not in body.
Santo

It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away.

#7 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 01:55 PM

Thanks everyone for the welcome words :) I am very happy to be here!
Yannis, I'll soon need to make a visit to Iraklion and I don't care if you have your cupboards full of tea by now, you will HAVE to receive also the tea I brought you, since I eventually only drink tea when I'm sick! :)

Hope to see a lot of you soon. :)

And I'm still worried about Yvonne.... It is normal that she doesn't visit the site when she's in Crete? :?

#8 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 02:10 PM

Dinny,
Thanks a lot for the extrea tea :)
It will be nice to meet you in Heralion or in the south. Actually I am planning a visit to your area soon. I will let you know about it later.

About Yvonne: I think their house is somewhere up on the mountains close to kritsa and they may not have an internet connection.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#9 harribobs

harribobs

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 12:15 AM

:) Dinny, if your biggest problem is connecting to the internet...you doing great !!

have a great time, we'll have a raki with you there next May

#10 Angela

Angela

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 07:39 AM

ohhh, thats great! I can just imagine you sitting at the internet cafe with the sea ahead of you (and the huge parking lot to your right!), the same spot I was just two months ago!! (just a little jealous) Good luck with settling in, I'm sure everything will be fine now that you have arrived in paradise (regardless of all the little problems, your on Greek time now). Best wishes

#11 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 05:43 PM

Yassas

Sorry for the delay in catching up and confirming our arrival but we have
been "home" a week tomorrow and we have already settled into village life.
As usual we have been made very welcome by neighbours, shopkeepers and resturant
owners. We even had a free meal when we went out with friends last night
- things like this just do not happen in Swindon!!

Our fantastic journey through Austria and the Dolomites to Venice that Alan
had spent ages planning was a complete washout. We had 2 days of absolutely
torrential rain....and sometimes it got even worse. Arriving at the Tourist
Information Centre on the bridge into Venice proved and excellent accident.
(We had intended to find a hotel on the mainland but we were on the bridge
before we knew it - couldn't see the signs properly due to yet more rain.)
We were advised to take the car ferry to the island just across the water
from Venice called Lido and to use a hotel there as it was significantly
cheaper. (Car parking would have cost 20.00 E per day and this was the same
price as the car ferry) The next day we used a cheap day ticket on the water
bus to get from the Lido to Venice and back - it was also valid for all the
canals so between this and a great deal of walking we "did" Venice.

Venice made the trip worthwhile we thoroughly enjoyed it and the umberella
was good for keeping the St Mark's Square pigeons off!!

We have already acquired a good tan and will keep building on it.

Glad to hear you have made it Dinny - perhaps when you have had time to settle in we could come and visit you in your new home town - it would make a good day trip for us.

BFN Yvonne

#12 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 07:14 PM

Hi Yvonne,
Glad to hear you made it alright, and also enjoyed Venice in the rain :)

You shall be very welcome whenever it suits you... well, now the house is a little up-side-down, trying to cope with whatever I managed to stuff in my little Blue Elephant (the Lancia) ... and also my granddaugthers visiting together with the two small girls of my neighbourg, which just happened to be best friends of hers, make sure that everything I have put 'in place' will not remain there for long :) I really enjoy it, and actually don't mind the mess....

Yannis, keep men posted if you plan to be down here soon, I would be happy to see you... otherwise I'll bring your tea with me when I go to Iraklio (since I'm not planning to be sick, and therefore would not need it for myself, ehhehhe)

OK, have some work to do, I haven't caught up with the last many messages on the forum, but maybe next week.... or the week after.... not really counting the days.... I'm in Crete!!! :) :) :D :D

#13 Hana

Hana

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 01 September 2005 - 09:07 PM

Dinny, hi, welcome to Crete, how fab you are there to stay - best wishes with your new life...

Is your daughter a lovely girl married to Kostas , the couple who run the Zafiria hotel by any chance? Cant remember her name, thought of her as Italian, perhaps I got it all mixed up... Some time ago she showed me their gorgoeus apartment built into the cave above the beach, with lovely mosaic on the wall she made. Perhaps Im talking about someone you dont know:)

I will be in Matala for 4 days from 17/9 with a bunch of friends. Matala is one of my favourite places to stay in Crete though this year I also want to explore the east, all the way to Zakros etc..

If you have time perhaps we can meet over a frappe?

Enjoy yourself in the best place on Earth... 8)

#14 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 08:55 PM

Hi Hana :)
Yes, my daughter is the one married to Kostas at the Zafiria, and she's still into mosaics, actually trying to find a sort of laboratory where she could get some work done (she's probably planning on parking the kids at my house while she's working, but I won't mind ;-) .... anything else I should do can be done later!)

I'll tell her you will be coming, and I am looking forward to meeting you :)

P.S. .... and her name is Linda :wink:

#15 Hana

Hana

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 02 September 2005 - 10:15 PM

Hi Dinny :)
thats quite amazing then...small world isnt it:) Of course I met her well before I knew of you. About 2-3 yrs ago was it? I dont think she will remember me though - I just loved the idea of staying in "a cave house" so someone directed me to them two... But Im sure that they've showed that lovely place to quite a number of people since then. They were just finishing doing it up and I might have been one of the first lot of people seeing it in that form. It really is such a nice place, with the patio and so close to the beach..

Do they still have it? I believe she was talking about selling it..

I thought she was Italian, with a very good English:) What is your story then - how did you come to live in Italy and this transition to Crete? But perhaps now I will get told off that I failed to read previous posts..:) so perhaps you could tell me over that frappe:) I look forward to meeting you, and send my love to Linda should she remember.

Oh, by the way, you could change the "location" in your profile to Crete;) It would sound more impressive now..

#16 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 September 2005 - 08:40 AM

Hana, it's not really complicated :) I once was married to an Italian and I have lived many years in Italy - Linda has actually almost forgotten to speak Danish while Valentina - my other daughter who still lives in Denmark - has forgotten some of her fluent Italian.

About the cave house: they sold it I think last year, and I don't think is being rented anymore. Somebody live there permanently.

See you soon :)

#17 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 03 September 2005 - 08:46 AM

One should remember to sign in when one is not on one's own computer! :)

Thanks for reminding me, Hana.... I have now changed my location and very happy about it! :wink: