9 replies to this topic

#1 Globetrotter

Globetrotter

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 03:28 PM

I will be on Crete from Oct 5 thru Oct 8 and was wondering if anyone has any idea what the weather might be like?

Am I likely to get a lot of rain during this time?

How about mosquitos in October?

Thanks in advance
Pat

#2 Antero

Antero

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 04:33 PM

I will be on Crete from Oct 5 thru Oct 8 and was wondering if anyone has any idea what the weather might be like?

Am I likely to get a lot of rain during this time?

How about mosquitos in October?

Thanks in advance
Pat

http://www.explorecr...opic.php?t=1201

:D :wink: :!:
András

#3 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 05:22 PM

Both mosquitoes and rain are possible...
www.explorecrete.com/nature/crete-weather.html
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#4 Globetrotter

Globetrotter

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 06:22 PM

Yes Antero I had seen that post, that post referred to September and I was hoping by Oct they would be gone.

Thank you Yannis, what a great site it is so full of information.

Thanks a bunch,
Pat

#5 Guest_Julie_*

Guest_Julie_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 August 2005 - 11:28 PM

I've spent the first couple of weeks in October in Crete for the past 8 or 10 years, and have almost always had good weather: mostly sunny, sometimes cloudy, warm but rarely really hot, generally pleasant. The water is still warm for swimming, and the air temperatures good for walking (better than Summer, not quite so good as Spring). Yes, it can rain, and sometimes has around that time, but it rarely lasts long.

I've never been attacked by mosquitos in Crete, but I'm sure that depends on where you go and on whether or not mosquitoes "like" you. There has recently been a long discussion on repellant measures on the Interkriti message board, with some excellent suggestions.

#6 Globetrotter

Globetrotter

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 11:44 PM

Thanks Julie,

That is exactly the type of information I was looking for.
Will you be going again this year in October? If so, maybe we could meet up for a cup of coffee, well actually tea for me, coffee for my hubby.

Thanks,
Pat

#7 Toni

Toni

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 05:40 PM

Hi Pat, I was in Crete last October 2-9th and we had a real mix of weather,the first 3 days were glorious sunshine and hot and then it was cloudy and dull with very heavy rain at night for the rest of the week BUT I know that as soon as we were home it changed back to hot and sunny I think until the end of October or beyond so I think we were just unlucky !! As for the Mosquitos they were something else,my friend and I got bitten terribly and both still have scars to prove it, we seemed to always get bitten when we were out at night ,I even got bitten at the airport on the way home (night flight)....... we love Crete and have booked to go back next June so will be well prepared for the little monsters then !! Hope you have a lovely stay in Crete ,Toni.

#8 Guest_Julie_*

Guest_Julie_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2005 - 11:03 PM

Pat

Seeing Toni's post reminded me that I ought to have said the weather depends a great deal on where you are. Generally the East is drier than the West, the South coast Warmer than the north. I was in the southwest at the same time as Toni was in Crete, and we did have some rain around the 4th, but after that it cleared up and was fine. I've known it to be completely different on the north coast from the south. It really depends on where you are.

I'm not sure about my plans for this year yet.

#9 Toni

Toni

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 August 2005 - 03:32 PM

Hi again, sorry I should have also put where on Crete I was talking about,we were in Hersonissos , Northern Coast East of Heraklion, Toni x

#10 craftaddict

craftaddict

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 September 2005 - 07:04 PM

We will be in crete in the south east from the 3-17 october and would love to meet up with any one staying there. We will also be staying near heraklion on our last two nights.

cheers,
Jo