11 replies to this topic

#1 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 11:25 AM

I've spent the last many months chasing useful information about what to do and where and how and when to do it if you want to live in Crete. It is very hard to obtain exact information, and not knowing the language makes it even harder.

Carol's book about Living in Crete has a lot of important information, but in many ways it's addressed to people moving from the UK to Crete (well, they seem to make the biggest lot, but anyway...).

On this forum I read posts from many on their way to move to Crete, all asking more or less the same questions.

Wouldn't it be great to have a part of the forum dedicated to people moving to Crete so to gather all the useful information in one place instead of hiding vital living info among tourist info? (Alternatively, which would create even more work for Yannis, a part of the site dedicated to "Living in Crete").

I'm about to make a lot of personal experience, but I wouldn't know exactly where to put "things to do" or "things to avoid", unless of course I put them on my personal website...

#2 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 01:36 PM

Dinny,
your suggestion is great but I wouldn't like to have a forum dedicated to people moving to Crete. Various separate forums may create functional problems.
I have asked several people to email me their experieces from moving to Crete and the problems they enountered with the bureaucratic procedures. I have done that many times in the past but without any response. It looks like people want to forget the problems as soon as they are finished with moving to Crete... :lol:
However, if I had this material, then I would create a new section on ExploreCrete and I am sure it would be interesting and helpful for many people.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#3 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 03:04 PM

Yannis, get ready to clear some space a couple of months from now... I promise to give you all the material you could ever wish for!! :lol:

#4 Guest_Anonymous_*

Guest_Anonymous_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2005 - 05:06 PM

Please do Dinny, as I'm really interested to hear first hand someones experience moving to Crete. It seems like something so lovely and a dream come true, but I know that when it comes down to details I am proabably being a little naive and dreaming more than really considering the facts. I was going to ask, but I assumed you would do so anyways, I can't wait to hear about your adventure moving to Crete.

#5 Angela

Angela

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 05:06 PM

oops I wasn't logged in....

#6 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 06:35 PM

Hi Angela,
I love to write - I'm just sometimes afraid that people might get bored if I write TOO much - but this moving gives me a great excuse to scrible down all the various events as they happen and have Yannis publish it later on. I'll make sure you all suffer with me during my quest with the authorities - and then again, I might be surprised how easy everything is, right? (I'm a little naive, too, ahahhahah)

But I just love a good challenge! :wink:

#7 Guest_The Ralphs_*

Guest_The Ralphs_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2005 - 11:49 PM

Hi,

We (me, my wife 7 yr old daughter & 2 dogs) are in the final leg of moving from the UK to Crete..........flights are booked for 25th of this month.

We started looking into moving in Sept 04, our problem was which part of Greece to settle. We needed to differentiate between holiday experiences & 'real life'. After much deliberation & months of study we decided Crete was ideal in terms of, schooling, health care, work opportunities & travel.

One 'small' snag stood in our way..........we had never visited the island & everyone kept telling us that Cretans were different from other Grecians.

I visited the island alone at the beginning of April armed with a video camera & hundreds of phone cards so that I could keep my family informed. The aim was to make a ' family' life changing decision & secure a rental property.

One week later having been pleasantly suprised at the kindness & hospitality that I received I was back at home where the real work started.......decorate parts of the house that should have been done before...put the house on the market....prepare the dogs....sort removals...inform family & friends...check legalities...sort logistics...arrange schooling...sell furniture...hand notices in...book flights...arrange packing...cancel endowments...sort finances.........the list goes on & luckily no family arguments.

We have rented an apartment is Sissi & it is important to us that we are able to integrate into the local community. We will have to work but do not want to rely on summer work only & we are in the process of setting up a pet supplies business, hopefully this will enable us to put food on the table all year round & mix with loke minded people of all cultures.

Ok we are not there yet, however if anyone has any specific questions about what we have/have not done to prepare, please feel free to contact us.......it could save some leg work.

Oh and if you have pet requirements, please look us up first, we still need all the help we can get.

Jim

#8 Angela

Angela

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 06:43 PM

thanks Jim, that sounds really exciting. I'm happy for you and your family and I wish you a comfortable and enjoyable move. I was curious what is it that makes people want to move to Greece? I mean, I know some obvious reasons, but I was wondering if anyone who has done so could say their personal reasons. Whether it be work, or retirement, just fell in love with the country and knew they had to... etc.

#9 Guest_The Ralphs_*

Guest_The Ralphs_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2005 - 12:46 AM

Angela,

For us it was to escape the, routine, mad competitive, keep up with the Jones's attitude, traffic, high cost of living, overcrowded SE of England.

Strange as it may seem but we had never been to Crete, in fact my wife & daughter still have'nt. I visited in April to secure a long term rent & they will see the island when we move at the end of the month.

However we are not strangers to Greece & can think of know where better to bring up our daughter. We are looking for a simpler way of life, going back to basics. We know it will be difficult to find employment etc, but we are up to the challenge.......more importantly I would like to see my daughter (aged 7) playing/getting dirty in the street, something that does not happen in the UK.

We are confident that we can integrate into the local community (within time) & hope that we can adapt to the more laid back approach. Hey it has to be better than 'corporate' life.

Jim

#10 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 04 August 2005 - 09:04 AM

It's more or less the same for me. Well, I must say that I'm already on a lifelong journay AWAY from Denmark, it's just that in the last 20-30 years it never or hardly ever passed my mind that one should work less and enjoy life more, so much have been concentrated on getting a job, getting a better job, getting better wages so to better maintain the kids - with the occasional "I can't stand this country anymore!" (DK) mostly because of the everlasting rain and the taxes. So off to Italy where the the weather at least is better than in Denmark. And then back to Denmark when lack of security or employment made me crave for a safe ordinary life. (8-9 of these "moves" have made me an experienced relocater!) :wink:

Now that the kids are grown - one actually living in Crete - there is no need for me to keep put and always be there for their every need. The last four years in Italy have convinced me that this is still not what I'm looking for, since Italy has become much like Denmark now except for the weather. Italy is not the laid-back place it was in '68 when I first came hitchhiking here and decided to stay for a while. The European Union has done all that was necessary to make it appear like Denmark, England, France or any other EU country.

I hope that it will be many years before even Crete catches up with the European way of life: too much work, too many taxes, too much polution and nobody caring for nothing but their own immediate future.

I want my 300 days of sunshine a year, I want to skip the wake-up calls and the 12 hours working days, I want to live among real people instead of robots.

And when Crete eventually becomes "European" I'll probably catch one of the boats left by african immigrants longing for "our way of life" and head South into the Libyan Sea....

#11 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 05 August 2005 - 10:28 PM

Fortune must be smiling on me, because unlike Dinny I have only left Denmark once (nearly 30 years ago), and haven't moved country since; and indeed have no wish to do so ever again. Much as I love Greece in general and Crete in particular, and much as I'd love to spend a few months at a time there, I can think of nowhere that I'd rather call home than where I now live. Lucky me :lol:

Henry.

#12 Angela

Angela

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 August 2005 - 04:48 PM

Those reasons pretty much line up with mine... but being from the states, I actually thought I could find such a lifestyle most anywhere in Europe, pretty much an anything is better than here attitude I guess. Denmark seems like a great place to live, and then I see Dinny on a lifelong quest trying to get away from Denmark. I just feel that attitudes are much more progressive in Europe, all the way form the citizen to the politicians (but then again I also think that politicans are a problem most everywhere). But, wanting to find a place more laid back, open minded, visually attractive (Europes history), and it would also be nice that even if I could not live in Greece, I could be within 3 or 4 hours of it by plane, with flights that are less than half the price from here. I could be a much more frequent visitor!! Well, for now I have two years of school to go, trying to decide on a career which would give me the option for travel, or to live abroad, and would make me happy (with a decent amount of money, since it is necessary to live and travel). So, I suppose I have time to think on it.
Thanks for everyones responses, I enjoy reading about other people pursuing the same dream I have of living in Greece (Crete!).