4 replies to this topic

#1 Angela

Angela

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 10:07 PM

I returned from my trip to Greece just over a week ago, but I left Kriti the first week of July. Overall, the trip was wonderful, although we did go ahead and fit in a trip from Chania to Sfakia, Matala (Faisto), Ierapetra, Bai, Siteia, Ag. Nik, Elounda, Knosso, and back to Chania (and Platania) in a seven day period. And it really wasn't so bad afterall, there was no feeling of being rushed, only regret that we didn't have the opportunity to stay in one place more than one night and really get to know a specific area. But, it was my fathers first time to Crete since 1973 and he really wanted to see all the places he remembered from his youth there. I enjoyed being able to see so many places and now I know where to go and stay permanently during my next trip to Crete.

About finding my family..... well Sfakia was amazing. My father and I were told by my fathers eldest brother Kosta that our family is from the town of Mouri in the region of Sfakia. At first there was some confusion because I had always thought that my Papus father was from Xania, and at first my theo Kosta was unsure if we were from Mourion in Sfakia, or another town called Mouri in Chania dimos. So, without much consultation from my Papu, my father, brother, and I went to Sfakia in search of our ancestral home, and anyone bearing the last name Pitsakis. We met a waiter in the town who was from Mourion and he said that the roads to Mouri were very difficult and could not be travelled with our car, and that there was really no reason we should take such a journey because the town was nearly deserted and nothing was left there. So, we decided to stay in Chora Sfakion for the night and gave up on our plan to go to Mouri. To make this story short, when we returned to Athens, my Papu was very upset and disheartened that we should have taken advice from "your brother over your own father!!". We were not from either Mouri it turns out, but from a town just perhaps kilometer or two south of Xania called Mournies. I am really happy that we listened to my Uncle though, because if we had not, we wouldn't have made the journey to Sfakia, and most likely would have gone straight from Hania to Matala, and missed out on what turned out to be my favorite place of the whole trip. The place I long to return to now. Who cares if I felt a false sense of belonging or returning home when I arrived. Maybe that would have been there regardless because Sfakia has me yearning to return.

Also, the waiter Manousos from Mourion told us that he didn't know any Pitsakis' but he did know Bitsakis' (M and P makes B in Greek). My Papu (who is 96 years old) told a funny story of how the M was chopped off by a previous relative because, and it sounds better and funnier in Greek, "they were dark (melaxrinos) and we were blonde (ksanthia) and we don't kill people!"

Also, I had a nice time at the Zafiria hotel and internet cafe in Matala, which I chose because I saw Dinny speak about it online, though I did not meet Linda or Kosta, but there was a very nice looking bartender with beautiful blue eyes who was very nice to look at while waiting for the computer at the internet cafe.

#2 mani

mani

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 09:29 AM

I miss Crete everytime I return home. For weeks I can be unbearable!!!

#3 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 10:52 AM

Hi

Thanks for the update I think you will find that many people were interested to know how you got on with your quest.

I can appreciate what you say about only spending a short time in each place but at least you know where you want more leisurely break next time you go!!

Yvonne

#4 Dinny

Dinny

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 11:26 AM

Hi Angela,
Thanks for the update, I'm happy you got to see so many beautiful places and even found a favourite like Sfakia! ;-)

I'm just back from a week in Montenegro, hm, nice place and all, but nothing compared to Crete! And in one month I'll be there, finally "at home".... I'll have to check up on that new bartender! :D

#5 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 02:54 PM

Hi Angela

thanks for sharing that with us. I'm so glad you had not just a good trip, but a worthwile one!

Henry.