33 replies to this topic

#21 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 12:35 PM

Sorry if I misunderstood - it's my age you know!

I forgot to mention that currently the "proper" boat fare is 20 Euro per person return - Don't pay more.

I also didn't mention that the drive from Ag Nik to Pachea Amos is, in my opinion, one of the best short drives in Crete. The scenery is fantastic, I never tire of doing it and if you can do it in the evening, when the sun is low, the mountains beyond Pachia Amos change colour to gold and then to orange as the sun sets. -Fantastic!

John
Cornwall - Great at any time of the year.

#22 SteveB

SteveB

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 01:42 PM

B) Tims right there" Retired",I was refering to Sissi-Paleahora being 5 hours!Must agree,the road to Pachea Amos is good,or if you are not in a hurry,instead of the road from Gournia to Irapetra,take the scenic route :
Turn of at Iston,then go over the top through the village of Kalamafka,and see both the Agean and Libian sea's at the same time!

#23 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 02:23 AM

SteveB

Apologies again for misreading your post

Please do not publish details of the scenic route from Istron to Irepetra - I actually live on it and I don't want to be disturbed by traffic noise when I am "road testing LiLo's" (one of my favourite occupations)

If you must use this route, don't watch me through binoculars, I've got some as well and will stare back at you, as I often do to others!!!

What has the world come to when I cannot go skinny dipping in my own pool?

John

PS In an effort to preserve my privacy, I would also advise that this road passes the Waste Disposal Plant which serves the Irepetra area.

#24 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:05 PM

Hi John,

I wasn't intending to react in this topic about nude sunbathing but since it has changed into a travelogue I'm interested. :huh: and it also offers the opportunity to change subjects. I know the road from Istro(n) to Ierpetra but not to Irepetra. Did I miss that one?

Isn't it also about time you reveal yourself a bit John? Don't keep us curiously!
You seem to know the way to express yourself, have an opinion about Crete and the routes to drive to find you. Even the spot where to honk, and foucus you in our binoculars to see where you drop your waste disposals! Are we condemned to be peeping Toms :D

But who are you? You're talking about your age but I can't find a birthdate nor other interesting info in your members profile. Do you wish to stay "incognito" for some reason. Don't you want us to congratulate you with your .... birthday?

To use Tinks signature "curiouser and curiouser...

P.S.
As for the non English members which/what LiLo did you mean.
A. The training of frontier troops
B. Rob Levin the founder of the Freenode IRC network, whose nickname is lilo in lowercase
C. An inflatable air matress
D. Lilo Pelekai, the main character of Disney's 41 st animated film "Lilo & stich"
E. Lilo (singer), a French actress and singer.
F. The village in Armagh, Ireland
G. Lilo Lil the character in the BBC television sitcom "Bread"
H. The first to arrive is the first to leave ( in lines) the opposite of LIFO
I. Your private description

Wim,
Also curiouser and curiouser ;) B) :D :D
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#25 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 05:12 PM

Hi Wim,

my guess is C. I can visualize John roadtesting a lilo thus: resting on it while it gently bobs up and down on the nice and warm waters in his pool.

Lucky old so-and-so ...

Henry.

#26 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 05:50 PM

:D :D :D Henry,

You mean the son of.... :)

I can imagine him floating his day away, or when things go wrong leaving on an air stream :lol:

Good heavens, forbid B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#27 SteveB

SteveB

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 10:42 PM

:) Now your in trouble John!Not only will I have my "Bins" with me,my camera has a 24x zoom AND I have a 2x conversion lens,so you could be finding a photo of yourself "Lilo-testing" on here!!
---a thought crosses my mind,----seeing as this thread was originaly about NUDE bathing anyway,why the worry about being seen skinny dipping?

#28 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 02:31 AM

Who do I answere first?

Henry (first out of the hat)

Your guess was spot on. When you are next in Crete, buy yourself an icecream as a prize!

By the way, living where I do has little to do with luck and a lot to do with long term planning! (you could do the same)

SteveB
Nobody objects to being looked at on a nude beach, but I think taking binoculars is considered bad manners!
I feel the same way when I am at home. The road overlooks the pool but fortunately is far enough away that nobody could be "shocked" or offended. With binoculars this is not the case! What is funny however is the way the watchers scurry back to their car and drive off as soon as they realise that I am also studying them!

By the way, I have never been on a "public" nude beach in Crete. I prefer a small cove or beach to ourselves, which is not hard to find. Choose any coast road (south coast is best as the beach will not be in the shade at any time) and drive along it. You will notice that there are dirt tracks leading towards the sea. Chose a few at random. It is best to do this in a hire car, remember hire cars can go anywhere, and you don't want to damage your own do you? At the end of the track you will find one of five things: a 100ft sheer drop to the sea; a house (turn round as near to their front door as possible - we once got invited in for a meal!); a dead end; a small holding; the beach of your dreams. The law of averages says that you will find what you are looking for if you go down five tracks. If you see a track going down the side of a rubbish dump or similar the chances of finding a deserted beach are more than doubled! My favourite beach is a bay about a mile long, fine shingle, perfect for swimming and is always deserted. The only access to it is through a municiple (?) rubbish dump! Drive through the gates, smile and wave to the bulldozer drivers, the beach is about a mile further on down the track, well its a sort of track anyway! You will notice that I am "big" on smiling and waving. It works wonders, try it - you could be surprised at the result. There is a sign at the entrance to the tip - I think it says No admittance (it is in Greek). Another clue (you don't expect me to tell you where it is do you?) There is a bus stop opposite the gates. Get off the road, explore the tracks, you never know what you will find and it is great fun!

Wim
It is now 3.28 am will reveal all in the next episode!

John

#29 SteveB

SteveB

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:59 PM

:) John,your right about the amazing abilities of hire cars,--We got down the dirt road from Zakros to Xerokampas in an Hyudia Atos,whilst a bunch of brave Germans in a 4WD turned back!
Then,to the amazement of local shepherds,we took the wrong turn at Orino and found ourselves crossing the Thripti range to Episkopi1(Must admit,the passengers had to get out and walk to help stop the bottom grinding on the ground!!)

#30 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 08:11 PM

The Fiat Panda I had time and time again used to go anywhere - or should that be everywhere - and without damage - which was just as well as in those days the bottom and tyres were not insured for damage. :)

#31 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 01:44 PM

I once did some nude excavating near Komos beach and burned my behind and jewels on the leather seat of my car. Wasn't able to sit down for a whole week let alone the rest.. :lol:

Pay attention :)

#32 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 08:48 PM

.. I think that Tim & Wim were talking about different things when they commented about damage that could be caused to the bottom/behind.
Tim, I think was referring to the bottom of his car, whilst Wim was referring to a part of his anatomy :lol: :) (mind you, didn't know you could insure this!!) :D B)
It'll be interestng to see where this thread goes!! :D
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#33 SteveB

SteveB

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 09:27 PM

:unsure: Awe--- come on Dave!
Your REALLY scraping the bottom now!

#34 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 11:36 PM

Yep Dave and Steve,

It was not part of the insurance package. But it was good for a laugh at their office. Some even wanted to inspect my scars, but I told them to lay back.....

:unsure: :unsure: