33 replies to this topic

#1 williemak

williemak

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 11:27 PM

I posted a question some time ago re this subject, and now I have been thought I would give you my impressions.

We sunbathed nude on the sandy beach near the village, and were treated extremely well by all. The guy who sold the sunbeds was unfailing polite, and wished all 'Have a Nice Time'. The taverna at the end of the beach too was friendly and helpful.

Anidri Beach was also nudist friendly, and we were able to sunbathe and swim on two of the three beaches

We cycled west, to the peninsular that is visible from the villages sandy beach, and again found the area to be mixed, with textiles and nudists sharing the beaches without a problem. The stoney beaches along the road leading to the peninsular were also being used by nudists.

We walked from Paleochora to Sougia (not for the faint hearted, it took 5 hours and was a hard slog), and found a small pebble beach between Anidri and the first makor climb, known as Thunder Beach, where we swam nude and cooled down before the climb, and another after the descent into Lissos Valley. And the north end of Sougia Beach is nudist friendly.

I had a wonderful holiday in Paleochora, found the locals to be friendly and helpful, and had no difficulty in finding beaches that were friendly towards nudists.

P.S. we travelled with Sunvil Holidays, and would recommend them unreservedly. If other companies followed their lead, package deals would be able to hold their heads high.

#2 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:51 AM

Hi,
thanks for the info. Many people will be interested in it.
However, I would like to add, that the situation varies according to the month of the year. My experience is that in August, the only naturists' beach is the one at the far end of the main sandy beach in Paleochora. Anidroi at that time was not clothing-optional. The reason is probably that a lot of Greek and Italian people have their vacation at that time.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#3 Henry Hooray

Henry Hooray

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 11:29 PM

We walked from Paleochora to Sougia (not for the faint hearted, it took 5 hours and was a hard slog)

Hard slog, yes, but well worth it. Did a well-deserved cold beer ever taste better than at the sea-front in Sougia, and was there ever a more welcoming sight than when returning to Paleohora by boat, in time for that evening's entertainment!

Henry.

#4 Jenny & Phil

Jenny & Phil

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 02:09 PM

Howlong would it take to drive to Paleochora from Sissi?

Looks a 'long drive' on the map!
Fun loving couple

#5 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 02:56 PM

It is a loooong drive from Sissi to Paleohora. (assuming that Sissi is the one east of Malia - something tells me there is another but I cannot find it.)
I am sure that you can find the occasional remote beaches in the north where nudism can be practised, and some of those in the very east might be ok. I've used a remote beach near Vai (not Vai itself) and some down towards Zerokambos.
But I am sure it is a lot easier to find such beaches, and with fellow nudists, in the south. There are several places around Keratokambos where you can usually find suitably remote spots, but if you want the company of fellow nudists then I think you probably have to head for Comos Beach, or Red Beach in the Matala/Kalamaki area. Next I guess would be the numerous beaches around Plakias and all the way up to Fankcastello. I'm not sure I would want to regard any as a day trip though, maybe best to have a few nights away from Sissi.

#6 mythos

mythos

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 05:22 PM

:o Apart from an all over tan.... B) can someone explain the advantages of "Nude sunbathing"

Is it a sexual thing or just the chance to be totally free with oneself and not give a monkey`s about other peoples feelings???? B) :) :huh:

#7 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 06:32 PM

The sheer freedom involved, especially when combined with swimming.
That people are asking where it can take place should show that other peoples feelings are taken into consideration by many who choose to practice it. As Yannis has pointed out, circumstances change at certain beaches because some who would object are more likely to be around at particular times.

#8 SteveB

SteveB

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 07:59 PM

Jenny and Phil,its about a 5 hour drive,however,a much closeroption,would be to drive down to Irapetra early(8-0 or 9-0am)and get the boat to Chrissi island,where theyre some beautiful beaches.when you get off the boat,go behind the old taverna(now closed,so take some grub!)then turn right along the beach.Its a bit like having your own desert island!then on your return,after a pleasant boat trip,why not stop off in Irapatra or Agios Nikolaos for a meal on your way back to Sissi?
Or if you are REALLY hungry,try"Mam,s" at Elounda.Huge meals,and good prices,plus the head waiter Nicko,is a complete nutter!

#9 Assim

Assim

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:30 PM

The feeling of the sun warming your whole body as the gentle sea breeze delicately brushes your skin.
The warm Aegean sea caressing your whole body. It's a wonderful feeling, an entirely different experience from swimming in a costume.

And then afterwards, no clumsy changing behind a towel. And no wet costume to carry or travel in.

Find a secluded beach and try it, you will never look back.

#10 mythos

mythos

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:57 PM

Assim....I think you have a problem!!!!!

1, wearing the wrong type of "Swimming Costume" whats that, whats wrong with a pair of swimming trunks????

2. Just lie in the sun and let its rays dry off the "Costume"

3. Who needs a towel?

4. Rather let the salt disintergrate the leather seats in my car than be naked on the beach.

Maybe I am just a prude but better to see things personal in private, not for public display.

Anybody else agree with my sentiments???

#11 Assim

Assim

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 10:18 PM

It seems it is you who does

not give a monkey`s about other peoples feelings

Argumentum ad hominem

#12 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 10:50 AM

Mythos and Assim have different points of view about naturism, but this does not mean that any of them has a "problem". In the many years this forum exists, we have discussed thousands of different subjects, always in a friendly way and with respect to different opinions.

Mythos, please stop the argument here and avoid such personal attacks in the future.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#13 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 11:22 AM

I think that in Crete there are enough beaches, or parts of beaches, for nudists, and non- nudists (hate the label textiles) to peacefully co-exist without offending one another - as indeed we can do so here. Though I prefer to sunbath naked, I would not dream of saying that to do so is my absolute right and I should be able to do so anywhere. Likewise I would like to think that those, to whom it does not appeal, will accept that supporters of such practice should be allowed to do so in various areas.
In answer to the sexual question, I think that the only ones who get off on it are the lurkers, those who hide in the rocks etc and don't join in.

#14 mythos

mythos

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 12:36 PM

My apologies to both Assim and Tim.

Each to their own I suppose,

Must remember to be more tollerant.

Pass the Tskudia B)

#15 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 02:07 PM

no offence taken - 'fraid the tsikoudia is some distance away to pass though;-)
(and generously topped up with a litre of JF's finest as he was passing recently!)

#16 mythos

mythos

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 06:08 PM

Also apologies to the forum and anybody else who took offence to my post.

So Tim you don`t actually live in Crete then, just a holiday- maker?

#17 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 06:59 PM

I prefer to think of myself as a traveller Mythos. I may travel over with holiday makers but my trips are usually very different from most of theirs, enjpyable though they may be. When I come in May I usually spend time with the vets.
My last trip, and a good few others I guess, may best be described as working holidays (for nil pay sadly) and was to do with supporting the group of people I had been helping achieve an objective of following in the footsteps of General Kreipe - of which there is a report on site here.
The forthcoming trip is to do some more research, perform a duty for a late friend, and then I do indeed hope to have a few days r and r.
By the by, I called you Mick on another thread thinking you and Mythos Mick were one and the same. Am I mistaken?

#18 Assim

Assim

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 16 September 2006 - 07:29 PM

Apology accepted Mythos. And I agree each to their own.

As Tim says theres room for us all on Crete B)

#19 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 01:26 AM

Jenny & Phil

The drive from Sissi to Irepetra will take you about 50 mins to 1 hour. (not 5 hours as previously posted)

From Sissi take the main road towards Ag Nik. When you get to the outskirts of Ag Nik, at the first set of lights at the bottom of a long hill (careful here may be mobile speed camera) Turn right towards Sitea. Follow the road till just past Pachea Amos (Wave to us as you go through Istron) and turn right at the signpost to Irapetra. (wave to the speed cops parked in the layby on you left - they are there most days) When you get to Irapetra the boats and ticket offices are signposted. Ignore the ticket office with the big signs just past the lights on the outskirts, (tickets here are more expensive). Buy your tickets at any one of the ticket offices on the harbour. For the return trip, when you are getting near the Ag Nik/Sitea road you will go down a long hill, the speed limit drops to 40KPH towards to bottom. (Heavens knows why) Change down or brake, the speed cops you waved to on your outward trip are still there. They can see you through the trees, you cannot see them! (why did you think they are there?)

Before you make the trip, check the boat times, there are only two to the Island in the morning, and two back in the afternoon.

If you are "self catering", on the outskirts of Irepetra, on the left entering the town, you will pass Champion Supermarket. This is the biggest one for miles around and where we shop.

Enjoy your trip

John
Cornwall - Great at any time of the year.

#20 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 10:27 AM

John
I think the 5 hour ref from Steve was from Sissi to Paleohora. Your 50 min option seems much more attractive!