14 replies to this topic

#1 mini_minx

mini_minx

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 July 2005 - 07:38 PM

HI, im new to the message board ive logged on seeking guidance and advice!
Im going to Crete in less than 3 weeks but instead of getting excited im filling with worry!!! Im 21 and its my first time away without my family, im going away with two of my friends (who are a little younger than me), ive never been to greece before and im getting a little scared. i know im mad but im worried i wont enjoy my holiday because i panic and worry to much about things! like for example getting lost, getting ill or hurt, having a horrible dirty hotel room, getting my drink spiked (Or even worse) all the possibilities of something going wrong are whirling through my head, i think reading *horror stories in magazines and watching holidays from hell on TV doesnt help lol. Ive tried talking to my friends who im going away with about my worries and they just laugh at me which upsets me even more.

I just want to know has anyone here been to Hersonissos? Ive heard its really nice but is there parts your advised to stay away from?
Im staying at the Irene Village appartments, can i find reviews of this place? I read all sorts of stories about doors and windows not locking and people being robbed or raped?

Im sorry to go on but i am really working myself up here, i just want to have a safe and enjoyable holiday and most importantly a relaxing one.
Its bad enough for me being so scared of flying! :oops:

well, you have two and a bit weeks to calm me down lol.
Im also wondering how much money should i take for one week? I dont want to be short.

mini minx xXx

#2 Guest_Jop_*

Guest_Jop_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2005 - 08:17 PM

Hi Mini

You need to relax!!

I think if you treat Crete a little like you would treat your home town you will be fine.

You wouldn't/shouldn't get so drunk that you don't know what is happening to you, you shouldn't go anywhere lonely with people that you don't know/keep an eye on your belongings/make sure your doors and windows are locked shut - if they are broken where you are staying tell the owner who should arrange for them to be fixed.

I am not aware of any 'no go' areas on Crete, not sure how much money you will need, depends on if you are self catering/how much you drink/if you are hiring a car/going on trips. If you plan on things costing the same as they do where you live you will probably have money to spare, but you can take travellers cheques or a credit card - there are ATM machines everywhere.

You will have a wonderful time and wonder why you worried!

Jop

#3 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 07:55 AM

Hi Mini,
do you come from England? In that case you will be glad to know that Crete is a lot safer than England.
The worse thing that may happen to you in Crete is that you will like it so much that you will want to stay here for ever :D
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#4 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 09:32 AM

Mini
I think I can just about remember back to when I was about to make my first trip to Greece and shared some of your apprehensions - but these days I just book a flight and turn up and see what I fancy doing. Crete is a very safe place, you have nothing to fear from locals who will always help anyone out. In my xperience things have a way or working out in Crete no matter what any problem might look like. The biggest problem is that you will end up wanting to spend more time in Crete than you have. Safety advice is the same for everywhere these days- but I agree with Yannis you are likely to be safer in Crete. Relax and enjoy your holiday

#5 malgosia

malgosia

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 11:25 AM

Hi Mini!

I do agree with all posts left here. I remember my first visit to Crete, it was 4 years ago and it was exectly in Hersonissos! I had a great time! This place is full with young people enjoying their stay there. I went there with two my friends, so we're three Polish girls in our early twenties and nothing disturbing happened to us. I was so amazed by Crete that came back there last year (by car from Poland) and this June (also by car) and want's more I moving there for good (I hope) next year!!
So don't stress!! Vacation should be as relaxing as possible and you sounds as someone who really needs to relax.

Best regards from sunny Warsaw!! :D
M.

#6 mini_minx

mini_minx

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 08:42 PM

Aww thank you so much guys!
after spending an hour or so looking through this site i feel more relaxed about the holiday and i am getting excited!
thank you for your kind words! i must admit i do tend to got OTT sometimes im such a panic bum lol.
Im looking forward to visiting the Star Beach waterpark it looks like a lot of fun :D does anyone know if its close to the Irene Village appartments?

thank you again for answering me, and ill make sure i visit this forum often and i promise to give you a full review of my time in crete when i get back!

take care

Mini Minx xXx

#7 mini_minx

mini_minx

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 08:47 PM

Hi Mini,
do you come from England? In that case you will be glad to know that Crete is a lot safer than England.
The worse thing that may happen to you in Crete is that you will like it so much that you will want to stay here for ever :D

Yes I am from England, Nottingham to be exact. :D
I can see from a lot of posts on here that many people who have visited Crete have fallen in love with it, I most probably will too! Most places are better/safer than England at the moment, plus we seem to have skipped summer and gone straight to winter! the weathers awful at the moment!

xXx

#8 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 25 July 2005 - 08:52 PM

Nottingham! That brings memories back to me... Sad memories of a friend who died at the age of 28...
At least she left something for us to remember her: the story of a day she had spent in Kounali village, close to Milatos. Janey was her name and the story is at www.explorecrete.com/crete-east/milatos.html
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#9 DaveW.

DaveW.

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 12:52 AM

Yannis,
I think that all of us who have been around the site for a while have fond memories of Janey and her 'posts' and all shared your sadness when we heard the news of her death.
Dave
If you look like your passport picture....you probably need the holiday!

#10 Tim

Tim

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 721 posts

Posted 26 July 2005 - 10:37 AM

Can't think of Nottingham without thinking of that lovely lady! Yes, greatly missed.

#11 Guest_Julie_*

Guest_Julie_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2005 - 08:39 PM

Hi there Yannis and Tim

Just had to post after i saw you make comments about Janey. It was so lovely to hear you both say such nice things, she was a truly lovely person and a great friend, there's not a day goes past when i don't think of her.

I don't post often but 'check in' now and then. Hope that you are both well

Julie M

#12 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 12:28 AM

Hi Julie,
what a nice surprise to "hear" from you again. It has been ages since we had any kind of contact. The last time was when I learned that you were in Crete and you didn't try to call me. I was upset and the you got upset as well, because I complained rather intensely about that :D
I hope someday we will meet in Crete. I am sure Janey would like that.
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#13 sharkman

sharkman

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:59 AM

Hey Mini, where in nottingham? im from hucknall and over in crete soon so we could meet up for a beer " me duck" :D

#14 yannis_s

yannis_s

Crete Explorer

• Administrator
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 27 July 2005 - 08:35 AM

"Sharkman" sounds too dangerous for little Mini...
Yannis Samatas
webmaster

#15 Toni

Toni

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 July 2005 - 10:28 AM

Mini Minx , check your personal messages , Toni x :D