Photo

Estate Agents - This one will cause a storm.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 Kritsa Yvonne

Kritsa Yvonne

Crete Explorer

• Moderators
  • 396 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:28 AM

Hi

I will send you a PM
Kritsa Yvonne

#22 Retired in Crete

Retired in Crete

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 10:07 PM

I realise that I have come rather late into this thread but may I throw in my 2 Euros worth?

Surely there are three types of house selling/building.

1) Agents, often called Estate Agents.
These sell houses for their clients either on a commission basis or for a flat fee. They have no need, in my opinion, to know the ins and outs of the purchase contract or Greek law. This is the job of your lawyer (solicitor in the UK) who should check that all the planning permissions etc were obtained, the legallity of the building and explain all the small print of the purchase contract. The purchase contract is also signed in front of a Notary whose duty it is to make sure that both the buyer and seller fully understand the implications of the contract. (originally introduced when few could read or write).

2) Builders.
These build houses to other peoples designs on land already owned by the builders customer.

3) Property Developers.
These buy land speculatively, build houses on it and sell the finished product to the general population. They will also sell houses "off plan", that is before they are built.

There is often an overlap as some Estate Agents sell land and then their Property Developers will design and build a house on the land you have bought.

The company Abbe works for (Cretan-Homes) advertises itself as Estate Agents. The "agents" only need to be authorised by the owner of the property to sell it. They may be "unregistered" but they are certainly not unauthorised. I have, on several occasions, been offerred payment if I introduce a house buyer to people who have houses to sell. Why do I need to be able to speak fluent Greek to do this? In fact, this is the traditional Cretan way as Estate Agents only arrived in Crete along with the first English immigrants.

Out of interest the Cretan-Homes web site says "We are the agents responsible for the South Eastern Corner of Crete", can I ask who appointed them to this responsibility or is it an example of "estate agent speak" which she indirectly accuses others of?

I would certainly agree that there are unscrupulous Agents, Builders and Property Developers in Crete but think that Abbe has her terminology confused and is irritated by the increasing competition in her chosen field.

John
Cornwall - Great at any time of the year.

#23 Lesley

Lesley

Traveler

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:47 AM

Hi Belfield, the Estate Agent I used has helped me so much all business with her has finished but she has emailed me photos of the renovation work and helped me sort out other problems as well.
She has lived in Crete for 18 years and speaks fluent Greek.When we first met, she insisted that all financial transactions were done through the Solicitor - incidentally, we found our own Solicitor and introduced her to the Estate Agent. We stayed in touch constantly via email and every time we returned to Crete our Estate Agent met with.

We did meet another estate agent who wanted to introduce us to his Solicitor, his Notary,his Builder, his Architect. He was Greek but very pushy and he wanted funds up front. Needless to say we din't feel very comfortable with him.
Contact me privately if you want the details of the Agent we used. I also think it's a good idea if you find your own solicitor to check all the paperwork for you.
Regards
Lesley

#24 Laid Back Lil

Laid Back Lil

Crete Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 09:27 AM

Hi Belfield. The company I used in Crete were and still are fantastic. They were not pushy. The listened to us when we explained what we were looking for. They didn't waste our time taking us to see pryoperty that we were not interested in, in places we didn't want to go. We bought our 'perfect' house with all the ticks in our boxes through them. We completed a few months back. They are still helping us along the way, and keep in touch regularly with us. I can highly recommend them and am happy to PM you with details should you wish. We also used a very good solicitor in Chania who came recommended to us by family and he too proved extremely good, guiding us through the whole process, even down to our wills and insurance upon completion of our property. Our insurers were very helpful, sending us our contract with them in English for us to have our solicitor 'go-over' before signing ....

#25 Belfield

Belfield

Tourist

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:02 PM

hi
please send me a pm as i am interested in finding out the buying process from start to finish.

thanks
Belfield
Belfield[size=7][b]

#26 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 07:25 PM

Hi Yannis,

I agree with you for 200% and the same concerns Dinny's remarks as well as the tendency of the others.
I know you are a qualified estate broker and we also had some mail contact about a piece of land near Makrigiallo. Somewhere near Aspros Potamos,. Which I think has one, if not the best landscape fitting hotel in the whole of Crete.!!!

Which brings me to the point of a topic I started on this Board. It's called the "Explore Crete Village" If you haven't read it yet you soon must. Maybe you can be of assistance to us. When I started it I was actually inspired by the Aspros Potamos hotel which was also a ruin that was rebuild with a cunning taste and knowledge for the south-east of "our" island.

Need I tell more? When you read the topic you will see that a lot of us want to integrate in the island and not just spend their holidays or live after their retirement in a place without character, too much people and few originality.

Hope you'll write something to our interest in the topic.

In the mean time

Hope I wrote the wish in a sort of proper Greek :D

:D

PS

Belfield, you can find everything you want to know about buying property and the legal paraphernalia written
on this board and the internet.
:D
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."

#27 Wim

Wim

Crete Explorer

• Club Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts

Posted 13 May 2007 - 11:24 AM

:D wonder what happened to Yannis Karavitis.

B)
True is that adage: "He who yields to rule by wooden heads, becomes himself a fool."